Discovery Gaming Community
Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Regarding Aim and Weapons speed (/showthread.php?tid=24838)

Pages: 1 2

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - kikatsu - 08-13-2009

Well I want to know how exactly the aim and target assist marker works in Freelancer

lets say that you mount a 700 m/s gun and a 600 m/s gun

now, I am not sure if the faster weapon takes priority and the target assist uses it as a base, allowing the 600 m/s gun to fall short

or, are the weapons averaged together, creating a taget assist marker that is identical to one generated by a 650 m/s weapon?

The reason I am asking this is that some factions have weapons with a difference in speed of up to 150 m/s ...I have the Order in mind when I am thinking of this. Their NPCs mount 2 laser guns, 2 neutron guns, an imp deb, a firestalker and a laser turret

now I want to replicate this loadout (although upgrade to a sidewinder) for my Order Ai Fenrir, now, I'm not totally sure how grouping those weapons together would work out, and the more I know about how the target assist works, the better

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Linkus - 08-13-2009

They average out.

A 700 and 600 would end up causing the targeting to aim for 650.

A simple solution would be to group your weapons. While not ideal, it does mean you can use different weapons and still be able to aim right. Just have to assign them to different weapon groups (Look in your control panel, the ship bit and interface one) and switch between them depending on the speed of gun you want.
Unfortunately that does cut down on your overall firepower you can release in one volley but it may work for you.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Spear - 08-13-2009

It's best to match weapon speeds, a difference of 50 m/s is workable. Different speeds throw off your target reticule so if you use mismatched weapons use them in groups that match.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Cellulanus - 08-14-2009

Actually I think FL averages it based on the number of guns with the speed.

For example, if you have 4 700 speed guns and 1 600, the targeting systems will give the majority it.

Some testing on this needs to be done against ships travelling in a straight line methinks to find out exactly how it works....

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Colonel Z.e.r.o. - 08-14-2009

I have switch between all guns, slow guns, and fast(er) guns, the reticle fall's in between where the fast and slow guns aim when both are combined.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - reavengitair - 08-14-2009

In my opinion, its best to just keep things simple, and just use weapons with the same speed.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - darthbeck - 08-14-2009

reavengtairs got it right. keep it simple.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Hundra - 08-14-2009

i say we make debilitators with 750, since most faction guns are in fact, 750.

It's a bit pointless when we have hardly any 700 guns that I've heard of, and most criminal guns, have a slightly higher speed.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Janus - 08-14-2009

Mk1 Debs are 750s. From memory, the turrets might be 700, I'd have to log in and check.

Regarding Aim and Weapons speed - Beagle23 - 08-14-2009

650 and 750, I believe.