Discovery Gaming Community
The New Frontier... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: The New Frontier... (/showthread.php?tid=25201)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The New Frontier... - Ironwatsas - 08-20-2009

Well, a recent discussion in Das Wilde chat got me and several others thinking...

It seems, with increased cruise speeds, NPCs, and players, and the fact that all of the vanilla and most of the disco systems have been fully explored, Discovery has lost the certain 'lost in space' feel that Vanilla FL had. There's not really a whole lot of 'unexplored' territory, exempting a few areas like Nomad space, Guard systems, Kansas and a few other areas (which are insanely difficult to enter due to NPCs).

We were discussing, a whole new generation of 'frontier' systems. Far removed from the whole rest of Sirius, and largely unexplored by either humans OR nomads. They'd mainly be empty, with all sorts of cool astronomical phenomena, mysterious ship graveyards, pulsars, planets, highly profitable mining zones (that take searching to find) and random 'goodies'.

Imo, this would be excellent for those RPing explorers, mining prospectors, or even pirate factions who need somewhere to lay low.

Some of these systems might have the odd base, occasional nomad patrol, mysterious minefield or weapon platform to add a bit of challange and mystery. It would also spur RP between those trying to claim said systems and exploit their resources, colonize, or discover some of the secrets.

There's plenty of empty space as it seems in places such as West-Southwest of Bretonia, Beyond the Edge Nebula, South of the omegas, north of Tau-37 and the high Omicrons. Generally outside the established cluster of systems and Human/Squishy Habitation.

I'd like to hear constructive feedback and suggestions. I think there's a lot of potential here...

The New Frontier... - Sprolf - 08-20-2009

I'm in full support of this idea.
I would absolutely love to see more systems in the spirit of Omicron Lost, Omicron 92, Kansas, etc...

The New Frontier... - reavengitair - 08-20-2009

/signed.

Yes please.

The New Frontier... - Fletcher - 08-20-2009

Lovely idea!

The New Frontier... - Blodo - 08-20-2009

Indeed. Over the development of 4.85 there was this notion that we needed to put at least one base in every system. I do believe that notion to be thoroughly failed... systems like Yukon have a base that just popped up out of nowhere and serves no purpose... would be better off if they were just empty.

But since it's already too late to remove anything, I'd say how about you lot present a couple of interesting concepts for "empty" systems?

The New Frontier... - tansytansey - 08-20-2009

It sounds like a very good idea. Maybe I should learn how to make systems, sounds like a lot of fun.

I only have two concerns really... where are we going to put these systems and with as many systems as we have now, the population of Discovery is still very centralised.

Maybe instead of adding heaps of new systems, we could take those existing systems which currently exist but don't have a draw or reason to them. Like Humboldt. I don't think I've -ever- seen a person there, and I've only been there once to visit the Rogue base on my transport.

Just because they're the 'new frontier' doesn't mean they have to be on the edge of Sirius, right? We should breath new life into the currently dead systems before we create new dead systems -- either that or remove them.

The New Frontier... - reavengitair - 08-20-2009

Quote:Maybe instead of adding heaps of new systems, we could take those existing systems which currently exist but don't have a draw or reason to them. Like Humboldt. I don't think I've -ever- seen a person there, and I've only been there once to visit the Rogue base on my transport.

I go to humboldt.

Anyway, I would bring this up in a seperate thread but...

The one thing I miss from the original FL compared to disco.

Staring down an empty system... feeling like its the end of the universe. Seriously, that scene in Omicron Kappa (corsair unknown back then) really inspired me. Gave me a childish feeling of exploration.

Then again, I was 8 at the time.

The New Frontier... - gafiaiiu - 08-20-2009

Quote: Staring down an empty system... feeling like its the end of the universe. Seriously, that scene in Omicron Kappa (corsair unknown back then) really inspired me. Gave me a childish feeling of exploration.

I really have to agree here. Places like the old omicron 80, where it was at the top edge of sirius, and very far out, was really amazing with the background, of all the stars stretching into the dark blackness. Also, systems resembling those in the original Freelancer menu screen (like that one that has the large asteroids and the two Liners flying through it) would be pretty amazing, and I never figued out why they weren't in the game, because they seem very remote.

However it really does seem like even if there's new stuff added, it really doesn't capture that same feeling of aloneness and sheer expanse that you originally get.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to capture that effect, but if you could...

The New Frontier... - Tovig - 08-20-2009

More systems, yes, please.

The New Frontier... - Cyberanson - 08-20-2009

It might sound like an unfitting comparison, but I will give it a try anyways:

I was a modder for Diablo 2 for a very long time. I started back in 2002 and at a certain point of time the idea of some 'uber' dungeon popped out of nowhere. Was maybe the Phrozen Keep.

The intention was to give the mod players something to do, even if they reached the highes level with their character. This kind of dungeon was a competition, even with high end equipment.

I would love to see such kind of idea here in Discovery. Some systems without maps, which you can explore and where are good points to make money, galactic phenomenas and so on..

Go for it!