Discovery Gaming Community
Looking for an RPG - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Looking for an RPG (/showthread.php?tid=25281)

Pages: 1 2

Looking for an RPG - Rashnok - 08-21-2009

The title pretty much says it all. I'm bored and looking for a good RPG. No specifics really, other than that fact that I have some bizarre dislike for all those animeish and east Asian RPGs.

Just... something good. A few RPGs that I've enjoyed in the past are:

Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout 1, 2, and just maybe 3 a bit.
Dungeon Siege 1, a bit of 2.
Neverwinter Nights 1, and naturally, some of 2.
FATE, which for some reason, I found quite fun for what it was.
Fable was fun for a while.
One might consider Pirates! an RPG. If so, that one was also pretty decent.
X-COM could also be called an RPG. Bloody difficult, but good fun.

That's about it. I'm fairly open, except for that one earlier requirement. I'd prefer something not too heavy in the learning curve, like all those hardcore DnD based games have been, but if it's good enough, I'm sure that I could survive it.

MMORPGs need not apply.

Looking for an RPG - swift - 08-21-2009

Deus Ex, or Deus Ex 2.

Great games both, and the only, I believe, or at least pioneer, examples of FPS RPGs.
It has the general traits of RPGs such as choices that impact the storyline, multiple endings, a skill, attribute, and trait system, etc.

Don't want to spoil anything, but you have my recommendation.

Looking for an RPG - Grail - 08-21-2009

there is one called Jade.

you may try that one

Looking for an RPG - JakeSG - 08-22-2009

The entire Final Fantasy series. If one is not to your taste, try another. All of them are turn based, but still great fun. You might also try Fable II. If Prince of Persia counts as an RPG, the original three were great fun. The Thief series is also supposed to be good.

Any others escape me at the moment, as always.

Looking for an RPG - MrHeadphones - 08-22-2009

Well, there's Mass Effect, made by the same people who made NwN I think, and also Knights of the old republic, which is a bit prone to crashing but otherwise good. If you like running old games then the makers of Morrowind and Oblivion have their first game free to download on their website.

That's all I can think of for now though. I'll add more if I remember/think of them

Looking for an RPG - Rashnok - 08-22-2009

I've had the Deux Ex series screaming in my face for pretty much a decade, so I guess I had better give that a shot.

I'm assuming by Jade, you mean Jade Empire? I've heard of it, but never looked into it all that closely.

Never cared much for Final Fantasy. Gave them a shot, didn't really work for me. Prince of Persia... more of a third person action/adventure game than an RPG. I've also tried the Thief series, but something about it I didn't care for.

The thing with Mass Effect is that it is so massively popular that my mind feels there is something repulsive about it. Especially because no one has ever told me why it is good, only that it is the second coming and the best thing ever.

KoTOR 1 was great. The second one... never actually worked for me. I've also tried Arena and Daggerfall; I'm sure they were good in their time, but I think I've become too spoiled to enjoy them today.

Looking for an RPG - JakeSG - 08-22-2009

The world needs far more sandbox RPG's...

Baldur's Gate or Might and Magic series maybe. Never played that much of any of their games, but I think they were alright.

Looking for an RPG - Treewyrm - 08-22-2009

Just to thrown in a few more cRPG in addition to those already mentioned above. Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Witcher, Gothic (I & II & II-expansion).

If you have no problem playing old games then I can name some more.

Looking for an RPG - Linkus - 08-22-2009

Reiterating Treewyrm's mentioning of The Witcher.
You will probably like it, really.

Looking for an RPG - Boss - 08-22-2009

You can download Legend of Dragoon from emuparadise. Awesome game. takes something like 80 hours.