Discovery Gaming Community
I need help in playing a god - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: I need help in playing a god (/showthread.php?tid=25481)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I need help in playing a god - Bjorn - 08-26-2009

[Image: new-3.png]

Basically, I set out to create a fantasy world for a D&D game im working on. Ive made a map, but im very bad with names and ideas. So this is what I want you to do for me. Makers of top ideas will be included in worlds pantheon of gods as god of what ever they want as long as its reasonable.

To do:

1. I want to include at least 20 nations. I want their names too. I dont want stolen names from known worlds.
2. I want them to be 20 different nations. They can be diverse by race, multi cultural or multi racial or simply follow the idea from our historical nations. I would like for you to tell me what type of equipment would they like, and is it a magical society or no. Also I would like you to pinpoint at least where it should be on map. Feel free to edit map to add borders.
3. Game should be in medieval age, so no guns.
4. Each nation needs 1-10 cities along with names for them. Again, please no copies.
5. 2 nations max per entriee.
6. Mountain ranges and solitary mountains need names as well.
7. Continents and islands need names.
8. Rivers and lakes need names.
9. Seas need names.
10.World needs a name.

Done:

Nation number 1 by AJBeast,name by Seth Karlo (will be proclaimed hero or saint)
Haryand Tribes. Elementalist society. Location, upper left corner island.

Nation number 2 by Lucend (Lucend the Masked)
People's beurocracy and Capitalis. Location, souteastern delta(River of greed) of eastern continent.

Nation number 3 by cobraSting (Lord Harshad of the Void)
Zaz Kingdom. South western peninsula of western continent. Around the central mountain.

Nation and area 4 by Trildor (Gorcath, Lord of Plague)
Darvaritus Confederation central island chain without small continent.

Nation and area 5 by Unselie (Jahatar, master of the Land)
Plains of Madar and assorted names. Very nicely done.

Nation 6 by AJBeast again, the Corelior Empire (Corron, Lord of Steel)
Miners.

Nation 7 by Bluntpencil, The Union (Nairda, god of Liquor)
Commie dwarves, trolls and goblins

Nation 8 by cobraSting, Davron Empire
Aquatic humanoids

Nation 9 by Serpentis (Serpentis, God of Death)
Kingdom of Merinia

Nation 10 by Serpentis
Lektan Empire

I need help in playing a god - AJBeast - 08-26-2009

I suck at making up names but my suggestion is : You can never go wrong with stereotypes. You can have the super-religious nation , the evil anarchist kingdom, the rebelious kingdom that just split from some other kingdom, the fairtale aparently perfect kingdom with a dark secret, *insert GW ripoff of choice here* etc etc

AJ, that is what I wanted to avoid. Also I wanna see how does a world made up by several people ends up looking like.

So , kind of like making a whole world made of ideal nations originating from peoples minds ? That sounds ... interesting.

So , lesseee. How about a nation of magic men that were born with a genetic superiority and power to bind the elements to their will. They are highly suspicious of everyone else and consider them inferior.

Actually I just described another stereotype if only slightly disguised ... damn

Name them, and pinpoint them at map. I like idea.

Hrm , location , maybe a small isolated island? Perhaps their powers come not from them but the island itself? About the name , I already said that I totally suck at naming ...

Oh , I had another idea. How about a poor nation. The populace is kind and giving but due to the lands natural lack of resources they have barelly anything to come by. They should rule over a vast amount of land , if barelly. The other nations push them around , try to capture their territories by force or by exploiting their fragil economy.

Anyways , time to go to bed. If I have any other ideas Ill post them here.

GAH, another idea: How about a mighty militar-sort of nation. Their territory , if small , has a mineral that allows them to craft the finest weaponry and armors , making their soldiers and armys tough to beat. They arent the conqueror sort though , more of a merchant sort. Their emperor is an olden day business shark, taking advantage of his lands mineral properties to make as much money as possible.

One in top left corner maybe? Also, cmon, name it and you have chance to become a god of what you want.

I need help in playing a god - Lucend - 08-26-2009

Ah, now this is awesome!

I'm doing the same thing you are, Bjorn. After going through some brainstorming activities with my group, we've come up with some things. I'll give you a rundown over a part of our world, the one that I like the best. The basic design of this city is basically a Lawful Evil Republic of sorts. The area surrounding the gigantic city looks like every other one, with small guard houses and peasants turning soil. This, however is a deception, as most of the actual populace are slaves that are kept in line by generational citizen soldiers.

I do plan to write more about this particular city, but my adventurers don't seem to want to go this way. *Sigh*

(All quotations from the Encyclopedia Movora here reproduced are taken from the 116th Edition published in 2034 by the Encyclopedia Movora Publishing Co., University District, with permission of the publishers. )

The Capitalis (Metropolis)

Seen by many as the homogeneous capital-of-the-world, a walk through the city streets convinces anyone that there is more division here than anywhere. The Capitalis (Or officially, the People's Bureaucracy and Capitalis) was not the name originally given to it. It was actually three separate cities that grew so large (and fat) from trading along the River of Greed that they merged into one large metropolis. The three districts all live in relative harmony, provided the wealth keeps floating in and not too many important bureaucrats are assassinated this year.

Since the cities merged and the population exploded, the city has been in a perpetual housing crisis. To solve this crisis (and create a large amount of government jobs to attract votes) a large digging effort developed over the course of decades, hollowing out a large portion of the Underdark and effectively expanding the majority human population underground. Treaties (until very recently) made relative peace with the local hallowed population.

University District:

Otherwise known as "University City" or just "The Arcane University," This district provides the Capitalis with it's arcane defenses as well as training grounds for all sorts of arcane practice and experimentation.

Founded as one of the original cities that eventually formed the massive multi-headed bureaucracy that is the Capitalis. Their official history states that a separate tribe of humans formed a society that discovered arcane magics on their own. The local arcane guild took over the Arcane University and city governmental systems and became a relatively benign Magocracy. When the Capitalis formed, the mages happily gave away sovereignty to the People's Bureaucracy with a promise to stay out of arcane affairs. The Arcane Magi who are officially part of the faculty and staff at the University tend to defend and support the people and not necessarily the Bureaucracy.

An unfortunate side effect of the freedom of thought and privacy is that a large and tenacious Necromancy cult has formed in the underground area.

Mammonia District

Otherwise known as The Greedy District or The heart of Capitalis, Mammonia started as a seaport to the River of Greed and was the city-state that proposed the merger. Mammonia ships and credit are respected and feared all over the continent.

The Mammonian aristocracy are the primary political leaders of the Capitalis, although technically anyone can be elected to any position including the Promagistrate (a group of three executive officials that head the massive bureaucracy). Assassin and Thieves' Guilds are also associated with the District, though not nearly as much as the unrestricted capitalism. No matter how many temples the Gods have in the Capitalis, money will always win out in the Mammonian district.

The current Promagistrates are:

Cornius Levatear (15 Aristocrat)

Born of aristocratic blood and living off of the fat of society for longer than most want to remember, Cornius is nonetheless a brilliant public figure, able to rally most of the public to his cause. His detractors would point to his sizable Promagistrate allowance and his disgusting appitite. (Both in women and food)

Marciur Ish Lompari (10 Rogue, the rest Unknown)

Also hailing from a family entrenched in the political machinations of the Capitalis, Marciur is something of an enigma that energizes the public and leads to an underdog mentality. His official history being that he was thrown out of his family and sent to live as a commoner. Learning the tricks and tools of the road, Marciur rose to prominence and finally took back his family name by assassination and other, more forceful actions. Though this story is most likely a dramatization of his real history, none doubt his tenacity and cunning when presented with a problem.

Noriaga Pombisaris ( Unknown )

Noriaga lives a sheltered and somewhat shadow life. While the other two Promagistrates gain most of the attention and headlines, Noriaga is content to sit back and work through his network of informants and allies to get his way. (Which is often the case with his reelection) Although not much is known about his background or his private life, the public knows him as a capable planner who excels at governance.

The Pewter District

Otherwise known as the Slaving District, or simply as Pewter City. Pewter City is best known for it's career soldiers and it's militaristic lifestyle. The District is responsible for policing and garrisoning the Capitalis and also keeping the large slave population in line through the use of state terror and shear brutality.

The District is fairly rural by Capitalis standards, and is generally integrated into the over all city structure. Pewter City officials and even normal citizens usually wear a dark greyish cloak or cape. The majority of the Pewter Minions (or known elsewhere as simply the Minions) are mostly elite Pewter District soldiers, intermixed with University warmages and heavily funded by Mammonia.

(All quotations from the Encyclopedia Movora here reproduced are taken from the 116th Edition published in 2034 by the Encyclopedia Movora Publishing Co., University District, with permission of the publishers. )

I need help in playing a god - Drake - 08-26-2009

I was making a D&D world at one point, building upon it as my players continued playing, but that game fell through. I'd hate to waste the effort I already put into it, so I'll throw some of it your way. First up for your perusal is my primary pantheon (though in my setting there were several).

Toriban Pantheon Wrote:The Toriban is the most widely worshiped pantheon of deities in the known world. Belief originated on the island of Torib, which would later conquer much of the known world and create what is now known as the Old Empire. Though the empire has long since fallen, during its time it managed to spread its faith to the far corners of the world.

Bailor, the Stern Watcher: Popular among soldiers and knights, Bailor is a protective but stern deity, watching over the faithful and protecting them from harm, but demanding obedience in return. Bailor's church is one of the strongest, with its own order of knights and fortress-cathedrals in many major cities. Bailor's is Lawful (any), his favored weapon is the mace (any), and he grants access to the Domination, Inquisition, Law, Protection and Retribution domains.

Heezor, the Long Walker, the Kindly Medicar: Patron of both travelers and healers alike, Heezor is a humble, unassuming deity who is said to walk the world in the guise of a man. Many pray to him at the start and end of long journeys, or when caring for the injured or sick. He is possibly the most often worshiped deity in the Toriban pantheon. Heezor is Neutral-Good, his favored weapon is the quarterstaff, and he grants access to the Celerity, Earth, Good, Healing and Travel domains.

Aresaith, the Life Bringer: Goddess of birth, fertility, agriculture, and spring, Aresaith is a popular and important deity among farmers and peasants and all those who grow crops or raise livestock. While not often worshiped by aristocrats and city folk (unless they're having trouble conceiving), the vast majority of towns and villages, no matter how small, will have a shrine to Aresaith. Aresaith is Neutral-Good, her favored weapon is the flail (any), and she grants access to the Animal, Family, Good, Plant and Sun domains.

Jorant, the Miser: The most popular deity by far among traders and merchants, as well as many nobles and anyone else who loves coin and wants more. By far the wealthiest church among the pantheon, his priests will grant blessings to anyone who donates money to the church, with supposedly greater blessings for larger donations. Jorant is has no definitive alignment, his favored weapon is the shuriken (sharpened coins), and he grants access to the Greed, Trade, Trickery and Wealth domains.

Sera, the Shining Lady, the Maiden of Secrets: One of the most mysterious deities of the pantheon, and rarely worshiped save by sages, spies and certain rustic moon cults. She's said to see all that happens while the moon is in the sky and hear all that is whispered away from prying ears. Many also believe her to be mad, or to hold sway over madness. Sera is Neutral (any), her favored weapon is the sickle (any), and she grants access to the Knowledge, Madness, Moon and Oracle domains.
I had intended to add others, but never got around to it.

These other two aren't part of that pantheon, but were quite important to the plot of my campaign. I'll include them for the same of completeness.

Other Deities Wrote:Other gods and goddesses exist and are worshiped outside the Toriban pantheon. Pagan deities from before the spread of the Old Empire, or foreign gods who've managed to find local worshipers. Many of the more zealous followers of the Toriban don't look kindly on pagan heretics, especially outspoken pagan heretics.

Thaera, the Black Shepherd, the Queen of Dreams, the Matron of Crows: Once the goddess of death (not undeath) and rebirth, who comforted the dying and guided their souls to the proper reincarnation. In some cases she was also seen as the patron goddess of dreams and fate. Her priests had the important job of caring for the earthly remains of the dead, providing comfort for the living, and destroying undead abominations. With the rise in popularity of the Toriban pantheon, Thaera's worship dwindled and eventually died out several hundred years ago. Thaera was True-Neutral, her favored weapon was the dagger, and she granted access to the Death, Dream, Fate, Mysticism, Purification and Renewal domains.

Thrxk, the Devourer Worm: One of the oldest deities, a terrible being of chaos and destruction from when mortals still lived in caves and hunted with stone weapons. Whether or not it (truly 'it', as Thrxk has no known gender) is truly evil is a matter of debate; it seems more a force of primal destruction and chaos rather than actual malice. Thrxk is Chaotic (very, very Chaotic), and is only worshiped by the mad. Its favored weapon is natural attacks (claw, bite, etc.), and it grants access to the Animal, Chaos, Destruction, Gluttony, Madness, Pestilence and Wrath domains.
Again, I had intended to create more, but never got around to it, and then the game ended prematurely.

Steal what you wish, I'd be overjoyed to see some of my work used.

Lucend, nice work, Il use that. Souteaster delta will be spot of your city, and it will function as a city state. River will be renamed to River of Greed.

Whats left for you is to name place in phanteon you would like to take (and possibly the name)

Drake, thanks for dieties, might get used. Im more interested in things written as details tho.