Discovery Gaming Community
Proposed new forum structure - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Proposed new forum structure (/showthread.php?tid=26293)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Proposed new forum structure - mwerte - 09-09-2009

As people may or may not have noticed, the current forum structure has a few flaws in it, a few sections that we could have aren't there, a few sections are in odd places, ect.

The Admin/Mod team have put together a new forum structure that addresses many of these issues. Here is the major changelog between the current forum structure and the proposed new one. Please comment on this with critiques and comments, please point out if you think I have missed something or placed something in the wrong area.

There were a few goals in re-doing the forums.
The first was to put more emphasis on the Roleplay forum. This has been done by "uncrunching" it and making it into a Section.
The second goal was to add in several requested sections. A "RP Feedback Forum" has been added, as has a "Wiki" forum for wiki discussion.
The third was to get rid of unused forums by merging them with similar forums. This was generally done in the Freelancer and Modding sections.

Changelog
  • Moved the RP section to just under the "Discovery HQ" section and made the RP forum into a section, expanding it to create seperate forums for each former subforum.
  • Condensed "Freelancer General" and "Discovery Freelancer Mod" into one section.
  • Condensed Stories and Char Bios
  • Merged Discovery Freelancer 24/7 and Freelancer General Board.
  • Added a Discovery Wiki section to "Disco FL Mod"
  • Subset some of the RP sections such as "Watering Holes" and "Sirius Stock Exchange".
  • Added "RP Stories Feedback" as a subforum to "Discovery General Discussion"
  • Moved the Factions subforum above Gen Discussion.
  • Moved "Bounty Board" into a subforum of "Commerce".
  • Moved "Welcome" up into "Discovery HQ" section.
Oh, and I deleted Flood. ;)

Proposed New Forum Structure Comment now or forever hold your peace.

Proposed new forum structure - AJBeast - 09-09-2009

This gets a major thumbs up from me.

Yes all the way:P

Proposed new forum structure - Igiss - 09-09-2009

Fine, I'm placing the poll on the portal's home page.

The new structure proposal generally looks OK, but there are some aspects of it that seem doubtful to myself (and not only to myself), so we are looking forward for some of your feedback before we implement any changes. In the end, it's possibly the most significant forum structure revamp in Discovery GC's history, and getting community opinions certainly won't hurt.

Proposed new forum structure - Feartrue - 09-09-2009

I agree with AJ on this one, seems like a good way to clean up the forum a bit

Proposed new forum structure - Cyberanson - 09-09-2009

My only concern would be, that you step away from the strict ooRP - RP categories, when putting the Faction Recruitment not into the RP hub. Because it is RP actually.

All other things: I like them.

Proposed new forum structure - Birdtalon - 09-09-2009

I like it, but tell me you arnt serious about deleting flood?

Proposed new forum structure - Captain - 09-09-2009

I like the idea, so I voted yes,

however I also Agree with igiss, its really a radical but effective turnaround,

Proposed new forum structure - mwerte - 09-09-2009

The problems with moving "Faction Recruitment" into the RP section is that it breaks up the "Faction" forum, which I don't want to do. Also, there is a significant chunk of Recruitment threads have a chunk of ooRP in them. Yes they are inRP, but RP isn't restricted to the RP section (see Dusty's sanctions). Currently it's assumed that posts there are in RP, and I don't see that changing. Official factions set a good example in there, and recruitee's generally follow that. If they don't they don't remain recruitee's very long.

It is a possibilty to break up factions. We shall see.

Proposed new forum structure - Cyberanson - 09-09-2009

Thanks for this explanation. I thought that it wouldn't be possible to split up the faction forum.

I can live with that structure or with the faction forum inside the RP section.

Proposed new forum structure - Benjamin - 09-09-2009

Consolidation is good. When I first joined, the amount of different forums was a big turn-off to using the forums at all, and now (I am guessing like many others) I exclusively use the 'view new posts' function to browse the board, which just puts all threads in one big list. I have no problems working out what's what, and I don't have to dig through a bunch of subforums to find things.

I can see the benefit in things like faction stuff being seperated off, but really, we don't need that many forums at all. I'm not going to freak out because a thread about a new ship design is in the same list as a thread about bombers being too good. This is why topic titles exist, after all.