Discovery Gaming Community
Problem connecting to Global server - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Problem connecting to Global server (/showthread.php?tid=282)

Pages: 1 2

Problem connecting to Global server - kirtar - 11-01-2005

When I attempted to get online, my screen had the "attempting connect to Global server" thing for quite an amount of time. Is there anything that would cause this? As far as I know, it could be the firewall not letting it through.

Also, it won't even let me open Freelancer without Discovery mounted on it (it says "please insert the correct cd rom")

Problem connecting to Global server - Korrd - 11-01-2005

Hello. Welcome to Discovery. :)

Add an "allow" rule on the firewall so freelancer.exe can access internet.
If that does not fix the problem then the esrver might be down...
If you can see other servers in the server list, then the firewall is not the problem. Because the game is connected to global server and retieves the server list...

Problem connecting to Global server - Dab - 11-01-2005

Maybe you should have gotten the normal game instead of a crack version of it. BTW faction leaders and recruiters Kirtar is not joining anything but AW so don't waste your time recruiting him becuase i already know him... Finally someone from my own town *getting* the game.

Problem connecting to Global server - kirtar - 11-01-2005

The thing that says to "allow" doesn't pop up. Either way, it just doesn't connect to the global server or whatever. I could still get the normal game cheaper than you could though because I know a Microsoft employee :P

Problem connecting to Global server - khwain - 11-01-2005

Pfffft......Anyways I can run plain Freelancer now. It just won't make windows do the allow/block thing...Is there any manual way to allow it for the windows firewall thing? I already allowed it for zonealarm -,-

Problem connecting to Global server - Korrd - 11-02-2005

khwain,Nov 1 2005, 07:47 PM Wrote:Pfffft......Anyways I can run plain Freelancer now.  It just won't make windows do the allow/block thing...Is there any manual way to allow it for the windows firewall thing?  I already allowed it for zonealarm -,-
[snapback]4329[/snapback]
If you are running zonealarm, just disable the windows firewall. Is practically useless...
WF Is not secure, some apps can bypass it by default... (Skype is a good example)... Also it does not monitor certain ports.... resuming, is a crap...

go to Start -> Program -> Administrative Tools (May have a different name, in spanish it is called "Herramientas Administrativas") -> Services

And disable "Windows Firewall"...

Problem connecting to Global server - kirtar - 11-02-2005

Korrd,Nov 1 2005, 08:03 PM Wrote:If you are running zonealarm, just disable the windows firewall. Is practically useless...
WF Is not secure, some apps can bypass it by default... (Skype is a good example)... Also it does not monitor certain ports.... resuming, is a crap...

go to Start -> Program -> Administrative Tools (May have a different name, in spanish it is called "Herramientas Administrativas") -> Services

And disable "Windows Firewall"...
[snapback]4332[/snapback]

While we're on the subject of firewalls..
The firewall built into Windows XP is quite good in terms of security but not convenience (see PC world).

Problem connecting to Global server - Korrd - 11-02-2005

kirtar,Nov 1 2005, 11:01 PM Wrote:While we're on the subject of firewalls..
The firewall built into Windows XP is quite good in terms of security but not convenience (see PC world).
[snapback]4338[/snapback]

Well, i disagree. Because i was able to pass it by using a (now-fixed) xploit. I gained access to system and installed Ultr@VNC. (we tried it on my computer from a friend's computer. It took us an hour but we managed to pass WF)...

Also the firewall allows some windows components (like kernell, which dont need to access internet to work properly) to access internet without questioning...
We sniffed data packets comming from the kernell. Those where heavyly encrypted, so we could not determine what is being sent (and recived) by the kernell...

Problem connecting to Global server - kirtar - 11-03-2005

already tried disabling windows firewall anyways, I think it's just ZoneAlarm doesn't pop up asking whether to let it on the internet or not.

Problem connecting to Global server - Dab - 11-03-2005

Just shut-down zonealarm before you start it, thats what i did.