Discovery Gaming Community
Zoner Politics Gets Dirty -- Factions attempting Power Grab? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Forum: Sirius News and Commerce (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=57)
+---- Thread: Zoner Politics Gets Dirty -- Factions attempting Power Grab? (/showthread.php?tid=28648)

Zoner Politics Gets Dirty -- Factions attempting Power Grab? - BlueSpawn - 10-23-2009

ZONER POLITICS GETS DIRTY
Factions attempting a Power Grab?

In latest news, the Zoner Community has experienced a large rift since the Council of Zoners downsized after a number of factions and Independent delegates, including Elizabeth Tate of the Persephone, resigned from the organization. It all began almost one month ago when The Council of Zoners, which in over half a year had come to represent the entirety of Zoner communities everywhere, received a letter of resignation from the leader of "Zoners Abolishing Slavery" faction. What soon followed can only be described as a cascading effect, as OSI, ZTC, and TAZ all resigned in turn one after the other. Elizabeth Tate as well as such delegates as William Cross and Al Noori resigned some weeks later.
Reasons for resignation varied among ex-delegates although an overall dissatisfaction with the Council of Zoners in regards to the state of affairs between Qeen Carina's Privateers and the drafting of the Bethlehem Treaty appeared to be a persisting topic among many members.

"The direction that the COZ is taking," said Sam Nichols, the CEO of Omicron Supply Industries,"is not the direction I want for OSI."

Aurelia Silvan, recently elected as the Chairwoman for the Council attempted to calm the panic rising among the delegates. "Yes, the larger groups of Zoners are resigning from the Council, however, they are still Zoners," said Aurelia, "They will still work with us and communicate with us."

However, in a weeks time tensions rose once more when the newly declared Chairwoman made a statement dissolving SHIZL, an organization developed by the late Malaclypse of TAZ to manage Zoner technology use and abuse. When questioned regarding her authority to dissolve such an organization, Miss Silvan made this statement to the Zoner factions: "The SHIZL itself was made without the consent, approval, or even opinions of the Zoner people, the Council of Zoners. This was a mistake.. But it is not one that has to be repeated."

Elizabeth Tate, a highly regarded member of the Zoner community, responded to this act by pushing her long guarded Freeport 11 beyond the reach of the Council. "Having recently left the CoZ," Elizabeth said a week after SHIZL was disbanded, "I have suggested to have the station detached from the influence and political struggle of the CoZ." The factions backed her decision and within weeks made an announcement of their own regarding what is now infamously known among the Council delegates non other than the "Zoner Alliance."

The Zoner Alliance, referred to as a mimicry of the Roman Triumvirate from the Old Earth, is a pact between the three main factions: Temporary Autonomous Zoners, Omicron Supply Industries, and the Consortium. Many delegates from the Council cried that such an act was nothing more than "a grab for power." Yev Lightwing of the Zoners Consortium had this to say regarding such statements: "We explicitly restrict ZA's sphere of influence to only those who are a part of it. There can be no legal claim of the CoZ to represent all Zoners. Likewise, the ZA is only claiming to be able to represent its own members."

Many delegates as well as non-Zoner business associates continue to call the Zoner Alliance a farce and criticizing its "un-democratic nature." Some Zoners are going back to the initial event that created the schism. "What did the factions feel was so wrong with the CoZ that couldn't have been solved with discussion and tweaking from within?" asked Taylor Davis, a longtime delegate of the Council, "What made going behind the CoZ's backs and creating a separate group necessary? Answer me those for starters." Indeed, why? Numerous Zoners and non-Zoners alike are still plagued by this question. Some are begining to wonder if tensions will rise and possibly ensue the first Civil War among Zoners in history.

"If it does I won't participate in it," said Louisa Salome of the Zoners Consortium, "I won't even attack a single Zoner. But I will distinguish whom I will help."

Greg Slavkin,
Editor for the Freeport 9 News.