Discovery Gaming Community
Specialized Power Genorators - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Specialized Power Genorators (/showthread.php?tid=28734)

Specialized Power Genorators - Bobthemanofsteel - 10-24-2009

So one of my mates (the guy who introduced me to FL actually) had an idea I thought might be worth mentioning to you guys, as I figure if anyone could tell us whether it was possible or even worthwhile, it'd be here.

Also, I'm giving my impression of what he meant, so it might not be right ><

SO essentially the idea is thus:

Different types of power cores/genorators/whatever that give bonuses to certain Weapons and sheilds.

For example, a... Positron Generator gives bonuses to Positron sheilds and Tachyon based weapons. That is, a small increase in sheild Regen or max sheilds (regen would be more realistic I guess), and lowers energy consumption from the weapon.

Also, it would be safe to say that they would have negative effects on Sheilds/Weaps that are not... compatible?

There could also be neutral (like default one) that has neither positive nor negative effects on anything.

We both feel it would add depth to the loadout of ships.

Is it possible? Is it even a good idea? XD

Note: The names I used are examples, first ones I could think of in FL

Specialized Power Genorators - Bobthemanofsteel - 10-25-2009

I didn't want to bump it, but... I'd really like to know whether it's viable.

Specialized Power Genorators - Jinx - 10-25-2009

not 100% sure - but i don t think its possible - and if it is... it would require a whole lot of balancing with a ton of different ships.

in that case - i m not sure if the workload is worth the beneficial effect to customize the ship a little bit. - its a bit like the shield types - while the difference of shieldtypes to weapontypes can range from 130% to 70% efficiency - many a players don t really give a damn.

graviton, positron, molecular - it makes surprisingly little difference in the everyday pvp.

Specialized Power Genorators - Muleo - 10-25-2009

We currently suffer from the problem of probably 80% of ships mounting graviton shields because it has a bonus vs pulse weapons. When people are too thick/stubborn to use anything else, I don't think it's a good idea to be introducing type-specific power plants, which isn't viable without Cannon-magic anyway.

Specialized Power Genorators - Taffic - 10-25-2009

' Wrote:We currently suffer from the problem of probably 80% of ships mounting graviton shields because it has a bonus vs pulse weapons. When people are too thick/stubborn to use anything else, I don't think it's a good idea to be introducing type-specific power plants, which isn't viable without Cannon-magic anyway.
I cater my weapons specifically to take advantage of this truth - where allowed, I guess other vets do too.

Well, I guess in Twitch based combat it does come more down to the skill of the player.

Alas, it was just an idea, even if we can't use it effectively.

Specialized Power Genorators - Taffic - 10-25-2009

' Wrote:Well, I guess in Twitch based combat it does come more down to the skill of the player.

Alas, it was just an idea, even if we can't use it effectively.
The Void mod has similar features to what your suggesting, where you might be able to kick out extra damage, have larger shields or the pvp fav was quicker regens (bats & bots being illegal).

I appreciate that the forum threads have been cleansed recently so a quick search might not show similar threads bu these ideas have been discussed & whilst I am sympathetic to the concepts, god admins are not.

Hell, I don't even think I would suggest using it for Disco. I just figured there's people here who wouldn know if it's good or not.

I'm more a fan of RP than PVP, even when the two are combined:D

Specialized Power Genorators - atlantis2112 - 10-25-2009

Quote:graviton, positron, molecular - it makes surprisingly little difference in the everyday pvp.

I don't know... my Krakens deal an awful lot of damage to you Graviton users..

Its an interesting idea, but looking at other people's posts, it looks like too much work. Maybe if the mod devs were paid employees of Discovery, like the Freelancer staff, we could have stuff like this. Pity they aren't, because they we could blow the wings off of modded ships, having moving ship parts, all that.

Specialized Power Genorators - X-Lancer - 10-25-2009

always choose the shield that works best against your enemy's weapon.