Discovery Gaming Community
Outcast Gunboat - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Outcast Gunboat (/showthread.php?tid=2922)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Outcast Gunboat - VoidPointer - 05-22-2007

From what I can tell, this beast doesn't exist. To address this oversight, I'm trying to design one. I've been white-boarding out some preliminary sketches based on the Sabre and Dromedary. There are some forseeable problems with the project, though. I don't have any modeling programs or experience with modeling, and in short I don't know how to turn my ideas into files. Any advice or pointers to advice are welcome.

Design philosophy follows.

First principles:

This should be a continuation of existing Outcast design; The Sabre and Dromedary are the fullest examples of these. It should fit in with them, while at the same time conveying how much more dangerous it is.

Outcast engineering focuses on moderately maneuverable ships with extreme offensive capabilities. Armor on Outcast ships is midrange. Gunboat should reflect these ideals by having a high weapon loadout, and the guns should have wide firing arcs.

Derived principles:

This thing needs some serious wing-type appendages or similar to mount the guns on, so they have those wide arcs.

Other thoughts:

The Sabre was supposed to have more weapons/engines than it does. This might be something to consider. Perhaps the gunboat should be more of a fast-strike vehicle than the standard gunboat, a realization of the original Sabre in a different hull.

Outcast Gunboat - Hylden - 05-22-2007

please direct me with a link for a prgram which can convert 3dstudio max designs into fl data files. thx.

Outcast Gunboat - Zepphos - 05-22-2007

I always thought that the Dromedary was a zoner ship, but nevermind.

If one is the be designed, it think it should be a half way house between the Sabre and the Outcast Destroyer. So, for example, the ship should have a large, thin upper section and a smaller section on the bottom.

________
\___|___/

That's a (very) rough idea of the cross-section I think it should have. Maybe two thirds the size of the Destroyer with the upper and lower sections quite close together. Generally a big sabre, same length lower section as the upper section (only thinner in width and height) with the destroyer angles and textures.

That's only my opinion on the design IF it is to be made. To be brutally honest, I'm not sure we need it.

Outcast Gunboat - Dab - 05-22-2007

Dromedary is a Zoner ship.. Outcasts use it too, but I do believe its Zoner manufactured.

' Wrote:Dromedary is a Zoner ship.. Outcasts use it too, but I do believe its Zoner manufactured.

Thought so... one liner Dab? Losing your touch mate. I'm sure you got some thoughts about my idea on the design.

So I'm not a hypocrite...

Hypocrite.:dry:

Personally I don't think there needs to be an Outcast GB. You can use the Rogue's GB for that, since your very closely allied.

The Outcast Cruiser is already small and agile for a cruiser, making the need for a GB significantly lower. I've seen the cruiser used to great avail against fighters and bombers.

We need to stop the belief everyone has that every faction needs a BS/Cruiser/GB/bomber. Its not realistic or logical. Pirate factions could have a BS anfd Cruiser, or BS and GB, with bombers, but shouldn't have all three, rivaling the amount of capships from houses. pirates are more concerned with masses of fighters.

That thoughtful enough for you?

Indeed I am a Hypocrite, and a good one at that!

I suppose you could call that thoughtful...

Whilst on the subject, I was under the impression that a Destroyer was a heavy Cruiser, and I was suprised to find that this isn't the case (especially when handling is concerned). But yes, I don't think the Outcasts need a GB for the same reason. The destroyer can do a GB's job and a Cruiser's job. (That's also why I think that GBs should be ruled out of the pirate licensed ships. Only fighters and bombers, IMO)

Outcast Gunboat - fwolf - 05-22-2007

We also need a gunboat for the hessians and rheinland pirates. With every trader flying large trains or container transports with a heavy armor theres no way to pirate in a fighter, unless you use a bomber (but in this way, flames can happen).

Actually you have it backward. A Destroyer in FL is a lighter, more agile, cruiser. One that can pack as much punch as the cruisers (Liberty Cruiser[FWD gun]/Rheinland Cruiser[12 turrets]) because they are lighter/agile/less firepower (Kusari Destrpyer [Agile, only 7-9 turrets]/Bretonian Destroyer [Slightly agile, 7-9 turrets]).

I'm thinking since Hessiens only have a Cruiser, while Outcast have a BS/Cruiser and Corsairs have a BS/GB, maybe Hessiens can be the lightweight pirates, with a cruiser (Hessien Cruiser) and a new GB for them to allow Rheinland pirates one. Kusari pirates have the BD GB, Liberty have the Rogue GB, and Bretonian pirates also have the Rogue GB (mollys and Rogues are allied I think.. Regardless, they use the same ships).

Outcast Gunboat - Panzer - 05-22-2007

Speaking of Rheinland bad-guy cruisers, would it be possible to make NPCs fly them? Really, I haven't seen a hessian cruiser to date. HONEST. Same for the RH pirate one.

And imo, should there be a gunboat for the Outcasts, it should be a bigger Dromedary with a set of Sabre's wings. Around the main hull. The old cockpit converted into a gun port and a command tower somewhere atop the superstructure.