Discovery Gaming Community
Orbiting Planets - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Orbiting Planets (/showthread.php?tid=29590)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Orbiting Planets - Seth Karlo - 11-08-2009

Anyway, I thought about making planets orbiting, so had a go at it, producing some quite silly results. I put 4 planets orbiting the sun and put them a little far out. Anyway, some pictures:

[Image: screen1251.jpg]

[Image: screen1252.jpg]

[Image: screen1253.jpg]

[Image: screen1254.jpg]

[Image: screen1255.jpg]

Next thing to do is to make different planets and large ones, and try and stop it from deleting itself when you get hit by a planet...

EDIT: Pictures 1,2,3 are from the same position taken about 5 seconds after one another. Pictures 4 and 5 are of the same planet as it approached me. Is in the Oita system, and I meant implement it there, depends on how I feel. Photobucket resized my pictures, sorry:(

-Seth

Orbiting Planets - OutlawBullet - 11-08-2009

This would be awesome if it's implemented. And to be honest, I think all the systems should be changed to include this. I don't think it's do-able though.

Sadly enough, trading revolves around trading lanes for the most part.

Orbiting Planets - Sprolf - 11-08-2009

Wizard!

I'm looking forward to more results from this project...
Especially a planet orbiting the sun with moons orbiting around said orbiting planet. I wonder if that could be done...

Annoying thing is I can't make anything dockable orbit... well, at least not yet. These will orbit around the outside of the main system I think, about 100k ish out, while having stationary planets farther in.

Currently making dynamic asteroid fields for Oita.

Quote:I don't think it's do-able though.

It's completely do-able, and it will be in the Oita system in 4.86.

Quote:I'm looking forward to more results from this project...
Especially a planet orbiting the sun with moons orbiting around said orbiting planet. I wonder if that could be done...

Yes, it can be done, and yes I am doing it:P

-Seth

Orbiting Planets - jammi - 11-08-2009

Because of the way Freelancer systems are designed, things'll get silly if the entire system is rotating. I'd advise sticking to Sprolfs orbiting moons suggestion. And if they orbited really slowly, would they continue to travel, or ping back to their original location when no-one's about?

Orbiting Planets - Tomtomrawr - 11-08-2009

For this to work the trade lanes would have to be moving aswell, to keep the links with the places they are supposed to be going to. The idea is old, very old. But I'm glad you have actually made orbiting planets so people can see it is possible.

Edit: Ah, if they do only apply for the planets 100k out then there would be few problems with trade lanes. I normally post first, read previous posts later.

Again, no way to create trade lanes orbiting as far as I know. I can make moons orbit if ya like.

Jammi, they would orbit all the time.

*Seth is off to make asteroid fields you can shoot to get them out of your way*

And NA, the planets can be as close or as far away as you like, orbiting anything you like.

Orbiting Planets - Alex. - 11-08-2009

Wait, so... the planets are actually moving around the sun?
Video pl0x?

Video? Uhh, ok. Hang on.

I may not be able to upload it before tomorrow though...

Orbiting Planets - Captain - 11-08-2009

can I have a moon orbiting my flea?

I will call it mooner

anyways nice idea seth,