Discovery Gaming Community
... Dun dun dun! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: ... Dun dun dun! (/showthread.php?tid=2964)

Pages: 1 2

... Dun dun dun! - Virus - 05-28-2007

So... I need to know what company is the most reliable and longest lasting laptop manufacturer.

For example:
HP
Compaq (HP company...)
Gateway
Dell
AlienWare
Toshiba
Sony (Viao, for example)
... Any others! Except Mac, because that won't work.

... Dun dun dun! - Craines - 05-28-2007

I dunno. I would just like to say, however, that if you get an Apple, I'll find out where you live and throw a pie in your face.

<--- Hates Apple

Oh, well, I advise (highly advise) a Dell. Or AlienWare.

AlienWare is more desktop, though. Still, it's pretty much the greatest gaming computer system maker EVER.

Or so I'm told.

Not that I have one, or anything..

>.>

<.<

... Dun dun dun! - TankTarget - 05-28-2007

To echo Harley, Dell and Alienware. Also Gateway they make good products. I recommend something with an AMD Athlon processor though...you can overclock them a ton and they last long. Also do not get Vista

... Dun dun dun! - Dab - 05-28-2007

Same here. AlienWare and Dell. I have a Dell myself. Only thing that got messed up is when my mother slammed it shut. **Not Advised**

Sony is pretty good too.

... Dun dun dun! - Koolmo - 05-28-2007

Watch out for Dell customer service though, if theres a defect in your machine, they'll do everythign they can to make you viod the warranty.

... Dun dun dun! - McNeo - 05-28-2007

Rock and Dell are good. Alienwares are overpriced way too much.

Also, AMD Turions are biting the dust real fast now that the C2D are here for laptops. And before you reinterate the OCing part...NEVER OC A LAPTOP! EVER! You know that micro heatsink is not copeing well with any processor. Even the desktop default heatsink (From AMD or Intel) has problems with OCing much. and those are 3 times the size of the heatsinks in a laptop. Also, usually OCing is disabled in laptop Bios'.

Seriously the Core Duo (NOT core 2 duo) is the euivalent of the AMD Turion X2, so the C2D's are faster. Its basically an echo of whats happening on the desktop processor market right now.

But yeah, Rock and Dell are good. Dell if your looking for a midrange laptop i'd say...

if you want Vista, wait until service pack one. Also, dont get 64 bit OS of either XP or Vista. Some apps dont work in 64 bit mode. 64 bit OS' recognise more memory, but compatibility is a big issue.

Longest lasting would have to be Japanese manufacturers. So Sony or Toshiba. But Dells are probably the best compromise. I'd go for a Dell.:)

... Dun dun dun! - BestFlyerHere - 05-28-2007

Get a Gateway. And get Vista if you want, it can be troublesome, but I've gotten it to work with everything I need to do, including Disco.

Don't listen to the people that don't have it...

... Dun dun dun! - Virus - 05-28-2007

I'm not getting Vista, Flyer. Ever. I will cut my own hands off before I get Vista. I'd rather do it all the hard way and create my own cracks for Linux to get my programs to work than to support Microsoft in their newest endeavor.

ANYWAY... I still don't know. -.-

I've only heard of Mac laptops lasting more than three years without major problems... I might get one of those as well as BootCamp to get Windows XP running on it and just double boot... Maybe. :/

... Dun dun dun! - DBoy1612 - 05-29-2007

Ya... Get a Gateway:dry:*Sarcasim*

Anyway, I would go for a Dell.

Just make sure you customize it... You don't want to get crappy default hardware like I got...

... Dun dun dun! - Eppy - 05-29-2007

For any kind of games, if your pocketbook can take a .50 shell from five feet, Alienware=happiness. Vista is evil, get XP, yada yada yada, etcetera, so on and so forth, somebody else said it first, I just like to see myself write, etcetera, etcetera...