Discovery Gaming Community
ID Blackmail, note to admins - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: ID Blackmail, note to admins (/showthread.php?tid=3010)

Pages: 1 2 3

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Sidewinder - 06-04-2007

Ok, here is a short story about what happened to me today while trading.
I was flying back to bertoinan space with my freighter when a player who was tagged as a pirate approached me. However, instead of trying to vaporize me and take my cargo, he told me that I was above level 40 and still had a freelancer ID tag. I told him that I was not aware of my mistake and would get it corrected as soon as I got to new London. (As of this point I have corrected this oversight if any admin wants to check) This player then told me that he wanted 2 mil in credits or he would report me to the admins for breaking server rules. I believe that this player was new because he then asked SF to help him kill my ship or ban me because they had a "police" ID. I think he mistakenly believed that SF was the admins/server police and not an RP faction. This seems troublesome to me because it means that IDs can be used to exploit players who mistakenly break the server rules. Furthermore, what if he had been an experienced player and demanded 200 mil rather than 2 mil and people where forced to pay because they did not want to get banned? Or what if I decided to blackmail newer players who did not understand the implications of the ID system but wanted to play on disco? Admins, please keep this in mind when deciding to ban or fine a player for an ID dispute.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - bluntpencil2001 - 06-04-2007

God, that's lame.

I have little else to say on the matter.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Archelon - 06-04-2007

Um - get the story straight. I was pirating you for the 2 mil (demanding a tax/toll/what have you). This is what a pirate does. I'd rather take cash than waste my ammo on you. The ID thing was an aside - a reminder that you need to get the ID.

As to the SF - yeah - why not. An ID is just as much a part of the cargo as anything else on board. Perfectly within RP to intervene. Not that there's anything he could do administratively, he could RP it as illegal cargo. Its a stretch, but if we police ourselves, there would be much less requirement for the admins to levy penalties against us. Bottom line - police ourselves and we keep in the good graces of the admins.

Never once did i mention getting you banned or taking it to the admins. I did say that I would take screens if you did not take care of your ID issue. If you continued to go back and forth trading without fixing your ID, yes, I would have brought it to their attention. But since you came back telling us you'd fixed it, I dropped the issue.

Here's the bottom line: As a pirate, I am required by the rules to scan your cargo to determine the ID you carry in your cargo hold before I can engage in pirating your vessel. I am also required to check to make sure you are level 30 or higher. I did my part. Anyone that's level 40 and greater will know the requirement for the ID unless somebody gave them lots of cash up front (as some clans do - but then the onus would be on the clan leader). Took me quite a while to get where I am and my highest character is level 59 (been here about 2 months or so). So your point regarding a new person making a mistake would be mute - he'd know before he made level 40. And as the admins have noted on numerous occasion, this is a recurring issue. I've been on when Nightfall's made server wide announcements for everyone not wearing the correct ID would get banned. No more excuses.

You're just upset that you weren't able to freely roam around making money.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Orv - 06-04-2007

I just want to clarify something here, or well, a couple things.

1. Archelon, your not required to pirate.

2. Sidewinder, while the militarial factions may not be admins, they are in a way server police . Literally. It is in their job to make sure you follow server rules if there is none on to tell you to. They also enforce the particular rules of their own systems. (What classifies as their "own systems" may change, depending on the outset of a certain vote at the moment.)

However pirates are not allowed to (so this goes to Archelon as well) force you to get a new ID. They can mention to you that you need one, and they can tell an admin that you are lacking one.

Had this problem with a couple FEAR and a LaFammila yesterday. I came back from AFK and they told me to dock, unmount my unlawful ID and get a lawful one, or they would kill me. Uh, no. Not allowed. I already have a specific ID. The only actions someone can take against you if you have the 'correct' ID over level 40 is to act appropriately depending on their own faction/ID status.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Korrd - 06-04-2007

Give me screenshots and the Blackmailer will be permanently banned.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - BestFlyerHere - 06-04-2007

Korrd, Archelon was the offender. I think that either this was an:

A)Misunderstanding

B) Archelon is an accomplished and exceptionally skilled liar.

I'm thinking that it's the former.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Orv - 06-04-2007

It was a misunderstanding, I was there, if doing nothing. Misunderstanding.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Nightfall - 06-04-2007

' Wrote:a recurring issue. I've been on when Nightfall's made server wide announcements for everyone not wearing the correct ID would get banned. No more excuses.

Not 'banned', I'm sure I said 'deleted'. A few days ago, out of 36 characters online, 10 were with Freelancer IDs or wrong IDs and well above level 40. IFSO Banners are shown every 15 minutes, and there is one out of ten of those that tells about the IDs. People ignore them. When I threatened to delete, every char with a Freelancer or a wrong ID (Neutral ID on a Transport for example) was corrected. It shows me that a lot of people don't care about the IDs. Whatever the reason is.

About the ban idea - you would sure got an Admin Warning in your hold first before the fine and/or execution. As I say, the banners are repeated multiple times a day, I don't have the slightest idea how can it be missed. About the players threatening, please don't, there's no server police. You should tell the player that has a wrong ID of his mistake and/or send a screenie to the admins. However, not having the right ID is a rule violation.

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Fellow Hoodlum - 06-04-2007

Quote:All players of Discovery server are obliged to follow the Rules listed below. Not knowing the rules does not relieve from responsibility.

That you will find under rule 1.1. The usual translation is ... 'Ignorance is no excuse'.
Those that do it knowingly are even worse. Hard as I looked, I couldn't find a rule that exempts certain people
from any of the others either. Break the rules, get your punishment ...

Hoodlum

ID Blackmail, note to admins - Nadir - 06-04-2007

Beware what we call meta-game-thinking - mixing rules (which are there to act as a structure to the role playing and to help ensure fair play) with the way you would be thinking if you were there. So, no, you cannot refer, in character, to ship IDs even though, as a player, you can see them on a ship like any other piece of cargo/equipment. Your character would not consider an ID as any more important than landing computer sub-systems or communications or life support or door opening mechanisms or any of the thousand other parts of a space vessel and certainly wouldn't refer to it as a commodity.

IDs can't be pirated - they cannot be salvaged (no more than 1 ID per character/ship). That possibility should be thought of as blind spot characters have no interest in thinking about. The excuse that an ID transponder isn't any more important than any other part of a ship is a fair one.

Never, ever, try to use the rules to your advantage. That's both meta-game-thinking and going against the spirit of the rules.

So, players in military factions do not, and never will police server rules. Absolutely not. Their law and order is not the same as server law and order. Two completely different concepts that must be kept separate. To do otherwise would not only break the idea of role playing but also sanction unlawful factions and characters to break server rules. Lawfulness of character doesn't equate to policing server regulations. Everyone can report breaches of these rules. And no references to server rules can happen in-character.

Sorry for insulting anyone's intelligence with this but it needs to be said IMHO.