Discovery Gaming Community
Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? (/showthread.php?tid=32026)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Harcourt.Fenton.Mudd - 12-31-2009

Just wondering why, since disco locks the distance at which you can get a directional fix on a player to under 10k, and you always pick up players at that distance regardless of sensor quality, what is the point of it ?

Unless you're mapping a system its always better to go with teh adv cargo scanner and be able to check their ID and kit at max range.

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Tomtomrawr - 12-31-2009

With the Discovery Scanner you can check the weapons mounted on a ship as soon as it comes within 10k. It's an option with one of the buttons on the bottom left HUD.

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Trim - 12-31-2009

I was also wondering this, but you can scan weapons and ID at the furthest range with cargo scanners. I dunno, i'd prefer the cargo cause why'd you need to scan weaponry?

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - darthbeck - 12-31-2009

' Wrote:With the Discovery Scanner you can check the weapons mounted on a ship as soon as it comes within 10k. It's an option with one of the buttons on the bottom left HUD.

you can do that with the cargo scanner...

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Tomtomrawr - 12-31-2009

' Wrote:I was also wondering this, but you can scan weapons and ID at the furthest range with cargo scanners. I dunno, i'd prefer the cargo cause why'd you need to scan weaponry?
Well, if a ship has parked 9k away from you, it would be useful.

And I always use the Advanced Cargo Scanner anyway, but the Discovery Scanner has it's up and down sides.

' Wrote:you can do that with the cargo scanner...
Yeah, but with a very small range.

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Webey - 12-31-2009

Well the Order did create the Discovery Scanner so I understand them using it for RP but traders and freelancers I don't get why.

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - darthbeck - 12-31-2009

' Wrote:Well, if a ship has parked 9k away from you, it would be useful.

And I always use the Advanced Cargo Scanner anyway, but the Discovery Scanner has it's up and down sides.
Yeah, but with a very small range.

You are refering to checking what they have in the HuD right?

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - jxie93 - 12-31-2009

' Wrote:You are refering to checking what they have in the HuD right?

Are you talking about sub systems targeting within 10k?

Can't the cargo scanner do that as well?

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Akura - 12-31-2009

The only difference is:

Adv Cargo Scanner can Scan Cargo at 4k, Discovery Scanner is less.

Discovery Scanner can pickup stuff on the map, like planets and bases, from a boosted range...

That's it.

Why do so many people bother with the discovery scanner ? - Tovig - 12-31-2009

Disco scan sucks. Get Adv Cargo scan. The best.