Discovery Gaming Community
Hi - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Introduce Yourself (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Hi (/showthread.php?tid=32124)

Hi - DarkPSYclone_M - 01-02-2010

Hey everyone,

I reinstalled Freelancer on my computer after a couple years of not playing. I was introduced to several multiplayer mods and decided to give Discovery a try a few days ago. I've read through the forum and server rules, but I don't completely understand them. I'm still under level 30 with a civilian ID, and I've had very few RP encounters. So basically, my RP is horrible at the moment. I'm also confused about the process of joining factions. For example, do I need to save up enough credits to change my name in accordance to the guidelines of a specific faction, or should I create a new character? Am I allowed to purchase a ship and ID of a specific faction and then apply to the faction on the forums, or do I need to consult the leaders of the faction first before I make any purchases?

I'm obviously a n00b on this forum and in space, so any form of help is appreciated. I've added tazuras to my Skype contact list in hopes of joining the Disco Help Channel. In the meantime, I'll continue searching through the forums and reading wiki articles. Thanks.

DarkPSY

Hi - Dieter Schprokets - 01-02-2010

Hey everyone,

I reinstalled Freelancer on my computer after a couple years of not playing. I was introduced to several multiplayer mods and decided to give Discovery a try a few days ago. I've read through the forum and server rules, but I don't completely understand them.

Quote:Print them out, its what I had to do. Most are really just common sense. Look at your ID as well; it tells you a lot about what you may do.

I'm still under level 30 with a civilian ID, and I've had very few RP encounters. So basically, my RP is horrible at the moment.

Quote:Fret not, it will improve. Mine sucked for months..

I'm also confused about the process of joining factions. For example, do I need to save up enough credits to change my name in accordance to the guidelines of a specific faction, or should I create a new character?

Quote:You can't name your character in accordance with the official faction name until you join the faction; for instance, no [RM]Name until you join RM (For instance). But you can play as an "indy" with the ID and tag, and a name like, for instance Hans.Schmidt.

Am I allowed to purchase a ship and ID of a specific faction and then apply to the faction on the forums, or do I need to consult the leaders of the faction first before I make any purchases?

Quote:Either way works, but you cannot use the official faction label in your character name, until accepted. You might as well wait until accepted before making the ship, because then you can name it correctly (no rename needed) and some factions help pay to equip their members ships, and also help them get the right rep.

I'm obviously a n00b on this forum and in space, so any form of help is appreciated. I've added tazuras to my Skype contact list in hopes of joining the Disco Help Channel. In the meantime, I'll continue searching through the forums and reading wiki articles. Thanks.
DarkPSY

Quote:Joining an official faction is a good way to learn. A Military one is also simplest to RP.

Hi - Jongleur - 01-02-2010

Welcome aboard.. hopefully you'll find this mod as fun as the rest of us do.

Quote:For example, do I need to save up enough credits to change my name in accordance to the guidelines of a specific faction, or should I create a new character?

You can do whichever, actually. Most of us have many characters, so you can create a new char once you've been accepted into a particular faction. Otherwise, you'll need the 2 million to get your name changed.. and if I remember correctly it can only be done once a week.. so make sure you get it right.

Quote:Am I allowed to purchase a ship and ID of a specific faction and then apply to the faction on the forums, or do I need to consult the leaders of the faction first before I make any purchases?

You're free to get your reputation to whatever you want, then purchase the corresponding ID and ships to go with it on your own. I think most player factions have a recruitment thread to post an application to join them whenever you get your ship to match their criteria.

Faction Recruitment Sub-forum

*edit* and what Dieter said

Hi - Jansen - 01-02-2010

I think most things are said, dont worry if you cant RP "perfectly" right now (nobody is perfect...), it will need some time to improve. But asking those questions is a good thing as it shows that you are willed to learn and to improve!
Have Fun!!!

Hi - Trim - 01-02-2010

Hey, welcome to disco, nice to see you here, i can help you on Skype a little and help you decide which faction you wanna join, understanding the rules, that stuff.

Hi - DarkPSYclone_M - 01-04-2010

Thanks a lot guys for the tips and info. Stunner I'm adding you if you still want to help.

Hi - SimonBlack - 01-05-2010

There are three rules, really. If you follow these, you follow everything else.

1. Dont log off out of a fight or taxing
2. Pick a faction and act like a guy from that faction would
3. and just generally behave

and damn, thats it. I never read the rules, worked out fine.

Hi - Malexa - 01-05-2010

Welcome within our nice community DarkPSYclone_M!
Good to have you here.

Oh dear lord, please dont tell people NOT to read the rules.

Here is the link to the discovery server rules again

Do as Dieter sugguested and print them. It really aids when beeing in game.
You can focus more on having fun, than on alt-tabbing to read the rules.

Malexa

Hi - Luis - 01-05-2010

Well.....hello there:)

Hi - jakub963 - 01-05-2010

If you need help with the basics in game just PM me here on forums.
I can accompany you until you decide what to do...

Or PM any [Helper] tagged characters in game...