Discovery Gaming Community
A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: A Bug in Single Player Missions. (/showthread.php?tid=324)

Pages: 1 2

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Macster - 11-17-2005

Hi,

I am new to this and would like to help out. I am a C++, JAVA, VB and C# developer. Is there a mission editor for this game, because I have discovered a bug in versions 4.73 4.77.1 in the single player missions? Mission 10 in particular, I am to take out the Experimental ships, but when I get close to them I get a Neural Net Log message saying, "I have fled the battle." One thing I have noticed during play, is that Von Clausins ship stays outside the mine field and doesnt engage into battle, when in version 1.1 his ship actually charges right into battle and I can get right up close to my targets. So I am thinking that a trigger is not being set to cause that ship to go into battle. It also appears that ship is the central origin for that part of the mission. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time,

Craig
Alias: Macster
mac4020(a)msn(dot)com (MSN Messenger and email addy as well) Welcome any and all email.

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Igiss - 11-17-2005

That's very strange. I haven't edited singleplayer missions at all, so they should be like in the original game. This bug may be related to something else that I've changed, but it will be extremely difficult to track.

There's no mission editor, and programming language knowledge is not required. Missions are packed into ini files like everything else, and if they are decoded they can be easily edited in Notepad.

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Angel - 11-18-2005

I didn't notice it when i went through SP might be a local problem.

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Macster - 11-18-2005

Angel,Nov 17 2005, 06:29 PM Wrote:I didn't notice it when i went through SP might be a local problem.
[snapback]5625[/snapback]

Yeah, I was wondering about that to. But when I used the same 'save' files that were used in the discovery missions on the original game, they worked. The mission went without a hitch on the original game on the very same machine. But when I also tried these same files on not just the 4.77.1, but also 4.75 and 4.73 versions of the discovery game, they didn't work. So I am really confused here. But thanks Angle for trying. I was wondering that as well. It could be the copy of the game that I have. I am not sure. It would be a bummer if it was, cause I really enjoy playing this game. One more thing to note is that the same occurance happens in the TNG2.7.6 Full version. So it could very well be this machine or the copy that I have, but I am having trouble accepting that, do to the fact that they work in the original game. However, I am wondering if my copy of the game is have trouble working with additional *.dlls. I have also noticed that I have been having intermittant problems with my HD. It might have something to do with my RAID card that I am using, cause I am noticing some delayed seek and write times. So many variables! UGH! Cause this isn't the only game I am having problems with, but it does work in the original game.

Oh, I just answered my own question. And now I see what I must do. UGH! Sorry guys. A reload of this OS is in order. The original game is on CD. When playing it on the original game, it is using part of the CD to run the game not relying so much on the HD. Whereas, when playing the game from the MODs, the CD is not needed. Thanks Angle and Igiss, I am now going to remove the RAID card and reload. UGH! So much work and soo little time. I have to leave here in about a week and a half. I start training for my new job on the 28th and will be gone for about 3 to 4 weeks. I will let you guys know what comes of my system working or not. By my thinking, it should, but I too am in need of a reload! Thanks a million! I will see if this takes care of it, hopefully.

Oh by the way, did I tell you guys that I was a system admin? A programmer and an admin what a combination!!! ACK! LOL! I am just :crazy: that way I guess! And you would never guess what job I am taking. Trucking! Well at least I will be seeing a lot of this great country. At least until I can get back on my feet again. The market is so saterated with paper-pushers over here, that guys like me without papers (but a lot of experience) end up hungry. Well, I have to go, hopefully the next time I leave a post I won't be soo tired and rummy.

Thanks again,
Craig

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Korrd - 11-18-2005

The problem is not Hardware-related.

I heard somewhere that the save files of 1.0 have compatibility problems with mods. you may want to check Thelancersreactor, thats where i read about it.

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Macster - 11-18-2005

Korrd,Nov 18 2005, 06:50 AM Wrote:The problem is not Hardware-related.

I heard somewhere that the save files of 1.0 have compatibility problems with mods. you may want to check Thelancersreactor, thats where i read about it.
[snapback]5648[/snapback]

Interesting point... But these save files were made with discovery 4.77.1 and then transfered over to 1.1. Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind. Reload is now complete. It's amazing how fast a reload can be when you have an image to work from. Anyway, should have the game up and running here shortly and be working on my way back up to lvl 10. The RAID car has been removed and the HD seems to be a little faster on the Read and Write times and appears to be a lot more stable. However in my endevours, I did notice other hardware probs and was able to get those fixed as well. Hopefully here really soon I hope to join you guys on that huge server you have going. Well, I have to be going. I have another computer to finish for someone else.

Thanks for the info Korrd,
Craig

And they say I don't have a life... They may just be right. :P

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Macster - 11-21-2005

To all:

Fualt is still present. After a reload and a complete rerun of the missions leading up to LVL 10, I still get the same problem that originally started this thread. The saved files were created with Discovery Version 4.77.1.

Angle,

Does your copy of the game have patch 1.1 installed on it? Also does your primary game (the one you use to play on and/or test) have SDK Version 1.3 installed on it as well? I am trying to recreate what you have on your system so I can get the same result. Otherthan that I do not know what else to try.

Well thanks all,
Craig

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Korrd - 11-21-2005

No. my game does not have any of those installed. But as far as i know, SDK and patch 1.1 are installed with discovery.. So when you install discovery, sdk and patchs are installed too...

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Igiss - 11-21-2005

SDK is not installed along with Discovery. You may try to install it prior to Discovery, but in most cases it's not required.

A Bug in Single Player Missions. - Macster - 11-22-2005

To all,

Fault was found and file is included with this posting. It turns out that it was a timing issue. I had to add 2 more seconds before it did it's next task, otherwise Von Clausin's ship would not join the other ships for battle and the mission would go dead. I think it has something to do with the way the formations were setup in the mod that caused the problem. I noticed that the ships in the mod have a wider burth than the formations in the 1.0 which caused an additional delay to regroup at a certain spot. Hope this helps others with the same prob. Happy hunting...

Thanks for the help.
Craig

To download file: [attachmentid=154]
Instructions: Install file at <Game Folder>\Data\Missions\M10. Sorry couldn't add the game folder into the zip, because everybody has a different place to store the game like my game is on the 'D:' drive, but typically you can find the game on C:\programs\Microsoft Games\Freelancer. Need any further instructions give me a holler at mac4020@msn.com. Have a happy THANKS GIVING.