Discovery Gaming Community
Question: Editing a Currently existing Ship - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Question: Editing a Currently existing Ship (/showthread.php?tid=32608)

Question: Editing a Currently existing Ship - aerelm - 01-09-2010

I've been floating around through all the tutorials I could find ... but no results.
All the tuts are about Making New ships, nothing about Editing a ship that already exists.
Either I am so slow (!) or what I want is not included in Tuts on forum, So:

I want to edit Roc, and only the textures, nothing more (See This), I've done some Skinning in COD4, so I know how it works, but all I need is List (and maybe link ?) of progs I need to export, convert, import the Texture files. Also, address of Roc's texture files in FL dir would be nice.

I remember I read something on forums about FL texture files being DDS, if they are, then there is no problem and I can easily edit them, if not, also a plugin to edit it in photoshop would be nice.

And last question: A friend told me if I make that skin, I can use it on GC server (means all the Rocs ingame would get the new skin, but only on my PC) but I doubt it, wont it be concidered 'Cheating' by server's AntiCheat system ?

Question: Editing a Currently existing Ship - Jinx - 01-09-2010

what you need to edit a skin ( or mat file ) is milkshape + appropriate plugins ( cmp import/export, mat import/export )

milkshape and freelancer works best with either .tga ( targa ) and .dds skin files - .dds being the better choice, cuase tga shows upside down and ( from my experience ) is not 100% compatible but something like 90% compatible - which means ... it CAN cause problems but usually doesn t. - anyway... .dds are better.

the texture editor in milkshape lets you customize the skin.

however there is also another way to edit the skin if its only about the shading/colour ( which keeps the mat file intact ) - there you d simply need the UTF editor, which "dyes" the existing mat file.

when its about to use any modified skin in freelancer disco.... it is NOT appreciated. - so even if the cheat detector doesn t detect anything doesn t mean you can freely do it. ( well - its more an ethical decision - it is asked of the players not to use any modified files ( any = literally any )

for example - some ships... .like some very black ships are quite hard to see in the appropriate enviroment... and they are meant to be like that. - imagine people to alter the skin to a bright white. - it d give them a little edge in combat.

furthermore, you ll need to be aware that upon loading the program - your filesizes will be checked. - if there s any inconsistency... your connection might be terminated cause your installation cannot be verified.

so before you try to use any modified file, you should always ask the admin team about it.... even if its just about dying a ship to another colour.

Question: Editing a Currently existing Ship - aerelm - 01-09-2010

Thanks for the answer, I'll try milkshape to see what I can get ... I'll post here if I run into any more problems.

and no, I'm not going to use this skin in Disco, but as my friend mentioned it, I just wanted to know if its possible or not.
(Roc looks good as it is, I might just need to take some screens for the story and for that, I can use my own lan server)