Discovery Gaming Community
ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space (/showthread.php?tid=3286)

Pages: 1 2

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Korrd - 07-07-2007

There has been a lot of debate about the Whale lately. What kind of ship is it? Is it a Freighter, as stated by the Infocard? Is it a transport, as it seems by it's cargo capacity and shield?

Well, after some debate, I've reached the conclusion that the ship is a transport instead of a freighter. The infocard will be corrected in the next release I hope, so until then, treat that ship as a transport instead of a freighter.

All ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space cannot use the Neutral ID, as they would be considered transport-like too. (Military ships are still considered as military ships of course. So a battleship can't be considered a transport for example).

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Panzer - 07-07-2007

(sorry if the wrong place to do this)

Could its cago capacity be upped a bit by the way? Lack of armament should give it an advantage in this field imvho, especially over the heavily-armed container transport.

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Korrd - 07-07-2007

Post the request on the balance issues forum.

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Malaclypse 666 - 07-07-2007

' Wrote:Post the request on the balance issues forum.

I haven't the slightest clue what the distinction is between a "transport" and a "freighter" to begin with.

Could someone "illuminate" me? Links will work.

Mal

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Eppy - 07-07-2007

As I recall, a trans was defined as anything bigger than a thousand cargo hold.

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Kira1997 - 07-07-2007

I thought that as well, but it seems a transport is any cargo vessel that can mount a level 7 shield. We had a thread on this subject started indirectly. I shall see if i can find the bugger.

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Malaclypse 666 - 07-07-2007

' Wrote:I thought that as well, but it seems a transport is any cargo vessel that can mount a level 7 shield. We had a thread on this subject started indirectly. I shall see if i can find the bugger.

Found it. No need.

So.. freighter = little guy/small cap/docks in the dock; transport = lvl7 shield/big cap/mooring ring..

or some approximation thereof;

Just one more of those "grey" areas to worry about. Can't be arsed.

Cheers.

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - Kira1997 - 07-07-2007

Eventually our community shall evolve into a full-blown "civilization," and, VOID forbid, we shall have lawyers combing our laws and regulations to codify for true clarity:)

ADMIN NOTICE: The whale, and all ships with more than 1000 units of cargo space - octavius - 07-07-2007

Did you know, Discovery (Well actually Freelancer) Has the classification of Freighter & Transport backwards?

Just google the words under images... This is what I got for *TRANSPORT*
[Image: transport%20sharabi%203.jpg]

And this is what I got for *FREIGHTER*
[Image: MVAmCormorantTAK2062FloatOnFloatOff.jpg]

Not complaining but the ship classifications are a bit backwards, I always figured freighters were supposed to be like Real Life, and huge, gimongus and carry tons. Transports are things like Civilian buses, 18 Wheeler Big Rigs like you see on the streets. They certainly wouldn't be considered a freighter, a freight hauler maybe, but not a freighter.

I also think that the Whale should get a competitive boost in cargo capacity due to the fact that it is completely unarmed.

Yes, rather odd indeed.
Classifications should be reversed..