Discovery Gaming Community
New Build Issues - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: New Build Issues (/showthread.php?tid=3311)

Pages: 1 2

New Build Issues - Space Bandito - 07-10-2007

I got a question for the hardware-knowledgeable people on the forums. I built a computer to replace my aging (and I mean aging) 6 year old Sony Vaio. Which is all good, except every time I try to run a program off a CD (install drivers, programs, etc.) my CPU usage spikes and I get an error reading 'The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000006)' or somesuch. The usage shouldn't spike to 50% on a Core 2 (E6600). I've tried a new hard drive, optical drive, processor, and I even installed a floppy drive so that I could run memtest (the drive didn't work). The optical isn't the problem, as it installed windows just fine and it managed to take data off a burned CD (which wasn't in .exe form). I'm really frustrated. Anyone have any advice?

New Build Issues - Korrd - 07-10-2007

If you are still using the same windows install of the old computer, format and reinstall.

New Build Issues - Space Bandito - 07-11-2007

Done that. Multiple times on different Hard Drives.

New Build Issues - Gazoo - 07-11-2007

Sounds like a driver conflict or issue. Did you install the motherboard chipset drivers? These should be installed first after the windows install, before installing anything else. Everytime you reinstall you need to reinstall these drivers as they get wiped out with the reformat.

New Build Issues - Space Bandito - 07-12-2007

Aye. It would, except the issue prevents the drivers from being installed. Every time I put the driver CD in, I get the same error and manually going into it through My Computer and running the program there nets the same result. For what its worth, my Video Card drivers do the same thing, so its not an error with the disk. I appreciate any suggestions, and apologise for not providing more information upfront. My build doesn't have internet access at the moment, so directly downloading them from the Asus site won't work either.

New Build Issues - Gazoo - 07-12-2007

Could you possibly copy the drivers to the hard drive and install directly from the hard drive? Does a pen or thumb drive work. Maybe install or copy from that to hard drive. Are the drivers you are trying to install on a CD-R disk or an OEM disk. I'm thinking if it's a burned disk the optical drive may not be able to read it.

New Build Issues - Space Bandito - 07-14-2007

No. It's the Driver CD that came with my motherboard (the videocard Driver CD does the same). I haven't tried the thumbdrive trick, but I doubt it's my optical drive, seeing as I'd already replaced it once before. A mate of mine suggested that it was a RAM issue, which I tested to no avail. Process of elimination places the culpability directly on the motherboard (which I suspected but was loathe to aknowledge). Does anyone see any other likely cause? I've already tried replacing everything but.

New Build Issues - Gazoo - 07-16-2007

If I read this correctly you are unable to install the chipset drivers? Were you able or did you try to copy the cd to the harddrive and then run the file? Might want to go to motherboard website and see if a new driver is available also. Post your system specs also so we can see what you are trying to run.

Specs:
Motherboard
CPU
RAM
PSU
OS
Optical Drives
Harddrive
Sound Card
Video Card
Anything else

New Build Issues - Space Bandito - 07-16-2007

Here are the specs:
Asus P5W DH Deluxe - Mobo
Core 2 Duo E6600 - Proc
Dual-channel Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz - RAM
550 Watt Antec Truepower - PSU
Windows XP Home - OS
Seagate 320GB (SATA) - HDD
Onboard Sound
ATI X1900XTX - Video
The optical drive was OEM, but it's an LG CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive. I also tried a Sony drive, which had the same issue.

I tried copying the files directly to the hard drive, but got an error message stating that it was 'unable to copy the source' or somesuch nonsense. I haven't tried the thumbdrive bit, namely because I don't have one. I know, I know, I'm pretty much the only person in the world without a USB thumbdrive...

Also, I'm unable to run any .exe file that's on a CD. I managed to install Prime95, Winzip and Fraps by putting them on a CD and copying the files over. So I don't understand why I can't do the same now.

New Build Issues - Gazoo - 07-16-2007

So you did get WinXp installed but are unable to load drivers? And you are not able to connect to internet with this comp? Was at ASUS website and found this check it out

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

Hope this can help as I 'm running out of ideas
Good Luck
Gazoo