Discovery Gaming Community
"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: "Too" Good of a Graphics Card? (/showthread.php?tid=3332)

Pages: 1 2

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - Tractor - 07-13-2007

This may sound ridiculous, but is it possible for your graphics card to be "too" good to play certain old-ish games? Such as Freelancer? A friend of mine claims that is the reason for him not being able to install Freelancer on his newer, shinier computer, while it works perfectly fine on his 'ol clunky one.

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - ghostcat - 07-13-2007

' Wrote:This may sound ridiculous, but is it possible for your graphics card to be "too" good to play certain old-ish games? Such as Freelancer? A friend of mine claims that is the reason for him not being able to install Freelancer on his newer, shinier computer, while it works perfectly fine on his 'ol clunky one.

Meh, in my limited experience, if a card far far outstrips the intended one, it can cause issues. However, if he has Vista installed, that's the issue. Vista and freelancer don't get along well.

' Wrote:Meh, in my limited experience, if a card far far outstrips the intended one, it can cause issues. However, if he has Vista installed, that's the issue. Vista and freelancer don't get along well.

That would explain it.

Though its a bit ironic seeing how Microsoft marketed Freelancer in the first place...

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - BestFlyerHere - 07-13-2007

I can help with the Vista issue, I'm running it with no troubles. Took me a few months to figure out a solution, but I've got it down.

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - Hades-Warpig - 07-13-2007

' Wrote:I can help with the Vista issue, I'm running it with no troubles. Took me a few months to figure out a solution, but I've got it down.

I can almost gaurantee you that his card is (too good) to play FL, I am useing an Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX 756mb. It plays FL with no probs.

Bestflyhere i am on vista home premium and i cannot get the mod to D/L and play. How did you do it?
Ill send ya a pm incase u dont c this.:cool:

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - Vaporlinx - 07-13-2007

I second the lack of vista incompatabilities, if you know your stuff, you can get just about anything to run on vista. The only things that give me trouble are homebrew apps.

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - Hyperwave22 - 07-13-2007

I do know that these problems can exist in old games, but I doubt Freelancer is old enough to have problems with any high-end video card on the market. There might be some problems with drivers or other hardware/software, and if there's going to be a problem, that's probably where you'll get it.

I do remember trying to play Sim Copter with my Nvidia 7600 and it ran fine, but my processor was too fast so it jumped around and lagged a lot (kind of ironic, methinks).

Hype

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - BestFlyerHere - 07-13-2007

FL does not work online with an anti-virus similar to or Norton, Mcafee, or Avast. They edit the registry files, so I use AVG, which doesn't but is marginal protection.

Get FLMM (Freelancer Mod Manager Beta 1.4), and double click the file. It unzips, then you can activate it.

Works for me!

"Too" Good of a Graphics Card? - ghostcat - 07-13-2007

Hmm, all you have to do to make FL work with anti-virus and firewalls is to add it as an exception.

Any suggestions to making it work with Vista? His problem has nothing to do with internet accessibility - his problem lies in attempting to boot up the game in the first place :P