Discovery Gaming Community
I need help! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: I need help! (/showthread.php?tid=3425)

I need help! - Equinox - 07-28-2007

Hay,

Well i'm not very good with computers, i no how to install things and use them but thats about it.

So onto the problem, a couple of weeks ago when i was on the computer it just turned of without me doing anything, when i tried to restart it it would get so far and the tower would turn of, i tried it a few more times and the same happened it would get so far into the windows opening then just turn of, so i left it and went to bed.

Woke up and it worked fine so i thought the problem had gone until last night when i was ingame setting a couple of brotherhood members with some weaps from the TBH Bank when it happened agane, computer shut down without warning, when i tried to get back on it took a couple of attempts but it worked so i logged back ingame where there was a fight in gamma so i got the Velasco but just in the middle of the battle tower shuts down on me agane, except this time i couldn't get back on agane, every time i restarted the computer it would get so far and the computer would just shut down.

So i left it and went to bed wouldering if when i woke up and logged onto the forums there would be a sanction on me for F1ing out a fight or something, but that is the smaller problem, the real problem is why my computer keeps doing this? it seems fine at the moment, but i think the problem is still there, and i have no clue what to do :/

Any help would be awesome.

(Sorry for long post).

I need help! - McNeo - 07-28-2007

Sounds like the PSU isn't delivering stable electricity to one or more of your components in your computer. If its a generic one of a cheap one, then replace it with one you know works and see if thats the problem. If not, then its probably time to replace the computer. If its new, it might be the motherboard...but also, there might be a ton of dust in the tower. Clean it out regularly, to stop your PC from shorting out due to some stray dust particle. My dads old PC got killed like that.

However, trouubleshooting isn't my Fort?. I need to be there to see what the problem is.

Yeah im planning on cleaning it out in a sec, a couple of other people have said it could be that, plus if the fan isn't working right it could be getting to hot and it does seem to happen when its been on for a long time.

Computer is actually one about 6 months old, but it is a cheapish one.

I need help! - uspatriotsf - 07-28-2007

It could also be the power supply. Rather inexpensive to replace. Is the computer shutting off all together or restarting? Either way if you keep anything important to you on the computer do a backup now. I work in the data recovery industry, and let me tell you that it is not cheap.

I need help! - Korrd - 07-28-2007

Temperature problem. 90% sure.

If the comp shuts down while running processor / GPU intensive tasks, its because of the temperature. It might be overheating, and the system cuts power itself to avoid hardware damage.

Shutting of altogether, then when i try to restart it gets so far into windows restarting then shuts down agane, but it seems when i leave it for awhile (both times over night) the next day it works ok.

Edit: Ok thanks Korrd.

I need help! - Dopamino - 07-28-2007

maybe just crashing? esp if you have any other programs running along side fl, or virus/spyware. when i play fl and im not careful with what sites i go to while alt tabbed, it'll crash my comp. so if its a cheap comp, it might just not be able to handle the load. try getting a new graphics card and add ram

I need help! - Gazoo - 07-30-2007

Definitely sounds like an overheat problem. Clean out really well and make sure all fans are working.