Discovery Gaming Community
regular passenger liner - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: regular passenger liner (/showthread.php?tid=36251)

Pages: 1 2 3

regular passenger liner - Jinx - 03-09-2010

[Image: passengerliner.png]
this is a version of a regular ( non luxory ) liner of the next generation. it is based on the slim lines of the older luxory liner but features slightly bolder shapes to represent a "next generation" of large civilian ships. giving up the simpler shapes without giving up the concept of the trusted design, its meant to be a step forward in ship design.

characteristics of the new design are the separated bridge section. like the old liner, the new ones bridge is separated from the passenger area to disallow an ambush in space or general attacks from within. the rather large front windshield is meant to be an observation lounge and / or a restaurant section. since spacetravel takes long ( from what i remember - trent took days if not longer to get from libery to bretonia ) a restaurant or fast food station shouldn t be considered "luxory".

the whole design should look functional, but wrapped into a package that looks a little more designed than a pure military vessel. - after all, passengers will rather buy a passage on a nice looking ship than an ugly one.

anyway - that is but a concept. discovery does not need another liner ( having 3 already ) - and people hardly ever RP a liner, let alone the difference between a luxory liner and a regular liner anyway.

regular passenger liner - Pingu! - 03-09-2010

Looks very nice, great job!
If this will be in next version, I'm sure I'll get one of those.

regular passenger liner - arvg - 03-09-2010

yes, yes, yes.

This ship is unbelievably needed.

There is nothing in its range, and it would be a way to actually make factions like PanGal Profitable.

Any encouragement I can give you for this ship I will.

It has fine lines and a brilliant presence. I definitely like the way it looks, very Libertonian... Though the bridge is interesting and new.

regular passenger liner - Markus_Janus - 03-09-2010

Forget the concept, finish it and put it in the mod nau!!!
I love it and with the right texture it could be one of the best looking ships around.

regular passenger liner - Not Espi - 03-09-2010

i can has this for daddy huggs' pleasure palace plox?

regular passenger liner - sempai17 - 03-09-2010

Pretty... T'will be a fine addition to my fleet. :)

It's a very sleek design, swept back, and long! we don't have many long ships on this mod, so it's a nice change of pace. Looks like it's roughly half a length longer than the current luxury liner, but roughly the same width and height.

regular passenger liner - Guest - 03-09-2010

I like the shape, the bridge will take some getting used to.
How will the texture look like? Similar to the Luxury one?

regular passenger liner - Sturmwind - 03-09-2010

Great work, as always. I seriously love how you curved the ship and solved the bridge section. Can't wait to see a texture on.

regular passenger liner - cmfalconer - 03-09-2010

Too curvy and stylized for a generic passenger hauler.

The Royal Liner is..well, it's built for Kings and Queens, so it's supposed to be a bit flashy.

The Kusari Liner is a shrine-in-space, very over-the-top and gaudy.

The Luxury Liner is that, a cruise-ship built to take the well-to-do out on jaunty trips through the stars.

The Yacht (Yes, I call this a Liner too) is a status symbol, much like a limo or a private helicoptor/jet is nowadays.

The Prison Liner and the Pilgrim Transport (I will not call it a "slave liner") should not be considered on this list, as they're specialized.

This Liner just isn't what my ideal of a generic passenger hauler is. Think city buses. They're cubes with engines and drivetrains. A generic passenger hauler in Disco should be much less stylized and more utilitarian. Dare I say it, but something along the lines of a Gull/Albatross, retrofitted with a large, fully enclosed box-like section where the cargo pods went.

I do like the ship you've presented Jinx, as yet another option for passenger hauling. I still think the Enterprise Lux Liner should be the epitome of Sirius passenger hauling (aka highest in stats), but this could be somewhere between the Royal Liner and the Enterprise in terms of cargo and the like.

What I could actually see this as is a replacement for the Shetland, Hawaii, and the Armstrong, a permanent in-orbit cruise "ship" that the regular liners (player driven) can dock with.

regular passenger liner - tazuras - 03-09-2010

' Wrote:anyway - that is but a concept. discovery does not need another liner ( having 3 already ) - and people hardly ever RP a liner, let alone the difference between a luxory liner and a regular liner anyway.
Yeah, I wouldnt mind this replacing the lux liner, as I never really thought it was the best model, and it is too similar to the prison liner.

Or it could become the new lux liner and the lux iner could be "retired" to regular liner duty.

But yeah, I think it should be in the game.