Discovery Gaming Community
Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview (/showthread.php?tid=37450)

Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Moriarty - 03-29-2010

A man past his middle years leaned back in an ancient leather chair that sat behind an even older wooden desk. The fact that the desk was in a room on a base carved out of a massive asteroid floating in space made it the second most expensive item on the base, second only to the base's reactor.

His elbows rested on the arms of his chair, his forearms raised upwards, the tips of his fingers meeting at a point just below his chin. Even at rest there was a hardness about him, a granite demeanor that seemed as immoveable as a star, by comparison to the lesser bodies that orbited his sphere of influence.

The Lane Hacker entered the room and seated himself in one of the two chairs on the opposite side of the desk without hesitation or permission. He knew by now that informality was proper protocol in this room just as rigidly as formality was outside it. He also knew not to speak until given permission.

"Mr. Sanguinetti, I have before me a file containing the most marvelous tales of dissoluteness, perfidy, malevolence, and villainy that I believe I have ever seen compiled regarding a Lane Hacker."

He nodded his head slightly towards the desktop, where there rested a binder filled with dozens of sheets. After a few moment's pause, he leaned forward and opened the binder. The contents were obviously paper, an anachronism nearly as much out of place as the wooden desk itself.

"Here I have a report of the theft of thousands of tons of precious cargo. Here I have accounts of insubordinate attitudes, cantakerous talk, and profligate insults. Here I have descriptions of attacks on hapless people, the disruption of authorized activities, and revelries that almost defy description." He looked up. "Even my descriptive powers."

"In short, the evidence contained in this file purports that you are a worthless, loathsome, and exceptionally intransigent individual."

He paused again for several moments.

"What do you have to say for yourself?"

Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Mr.Sanguinetti - 03-29-2010

The hacker listened with a surprised and curious look on his face instead of the usual half-smile. He was seated comfortably - legs crossed, leaning back - but the close observer would have discovered some tension in the posture.

"Ahh well... The only thing I can say in my defense is that it took me a lot of effort. You see it's not in my nature. I mean violence and similar. And by that I don't just mean that I could name and use an array of fancy cutlery just as easily as some home-brew aphrodisiacs from distant solar-systems. But since I was always attracting people of most different origins, I started to develop a sense of how individuals with various attitudes think. I would not necessarily call that empathy, but the fact is that it made me unable to feel anger or indignation about one's actions.

He instinctively started to reach for his vest-pocket where he kept a cardi-pipe, but he convincingly concealed the move with a shrug.

"The ignorance of an individual never bothered me. Looking back I have to say ignorance as an attribute of humanity did. Or at least it made me sad. So I ignored it. It took me a long while to realize that my somehow good nature is not enough excuse to not put effort into opening the eyes of others. Our beloved Liberty had been taken control by an eco-socio-parasite masqueraded as a government. There's a short, simple message what should be delivered to everyone. 'Wake up dammit!'"

Sanguinetti looked down on the binder.

"And at the Hackers I've been introduced to a vast array of precise tools and well thought methods to deliver that message even into the thickest skulls. Invaluable things. Some even die in the process. Most sorrowful. I feel the guilt about all the annoyance I cause, not to mention death. It signs my failure in transferring a simple thought. But to hell with all the karmic pollution I gather. If one can't be arsed to listen he will be part of the message. Making a better future is not an excuse, but the reason."

He paused for gathering thoughts and to nod.

"Umm... Yes. That's it. In nutshell."

Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Moriarty - 03-29-2010

The senior Hacker listened with interest. When Sanguinetti stopped talking, he continued to muse pensively for several minutes in silence before speaking.

"I can see now with especial clarity that the evidence contained in this file is truthful, although far from complete in its attempt to document your infamy. This, of course, is a level of incompetence that we have come to expect as a matter of course from the Liberty Security Force who compiled this file. Fortunately, I have no need to solely rely on their incontinent ramblings for my information. It is clear that you have excelled in all respects in the methods you have learned from the Lane Hackers."

His mouth turned up in a half smile.

"It has been a long time since I have had cause to smile at the thought of our legacy's progress in Liberty. The last time was more than a year ago when Phate was elevated to the status of a full Lane Hacker Professor. In view of your diligence and aptitude, he and I deem you worthy of the same honor. The rewards are few, the dangers even greater, the responsibilities are oppressive, but the opportunities are vast."

He leaned forward, placing both hands on the wooden desktop.

"This is not a promotion to be accepted lightly, but neither is it one to be neglected flippantly. What shall it be, Hacker? Are your shoulders strong enough to bear the weight of the Professor's stole?"

Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Mr.Sanguinetti - 03-30-2010

The hacker was slightly nodding some while listening to the professor, but he froze when comprehended the meaning of the words had been told. He managed to keep his smile from turning to a grin, but the enthusiasm appeared clearly in his eyes for a brief moment.

"Well sir... Umm. I was not expecting that.. I was... I mean it's an honor... umm... so..."

He looked down the table to gather his thoughts, than continued.

"During my time here I got used to hard choices. That's not one. I felt the oppression, bigotry and corruption that rules Liberty on my skin. I gain some insight into the wills and mechanisms behind the regime. The Lane Hackers always did a great job hindering that umm.. malignant process. And since I first set foot on Mactan I wish to take my part of the efforts as well as I can. I'll be always honored to accept any responsibility you find me capable of bearing. And I wont disappoint you sir."

Mr. Sanguinetti's Interview - Moriarty - 03-30-2010

The senior Lane Hacker rose from his chair and Sanguinetti stood also.

"I have full confidence in your abilities and potential, just as I had in Professor Le Chiffre, and Professor Phate before you. The necessary security codes will be transmitted to you over the next few days to enable you to access the full range of our resources. I trust that you will use them wisely and efficiently to further our objectives. There is time enough later to discuss details, now I must end this interview and attend to several pressing matters. In two days time, I will brief you on your first endeavor as a Lane Hacker Professor, a mission of the utmost importance to our future."