Discovery Gaming Community
Discovery portable release - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Welcome (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=399)
+--- Forum: Help & Support (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Thread: Discovery portable release (/showthread.php?tid=37470)

Pages: 1 2

Discovery portable release - Cannon - 03-29-2010

' Wrote:Will discovery ever realese a portable version cannon? (please feel free to answer in a PM and remove this post).
What do you mean?

Discovery portable release - Llama - 03-29-2010

Like, When it doesnt have to be installed, it can be played by copying the freelancer folder to a USB and played on any PC anywhere that meets the specs it requires.

It does do this, but not well, it has a few errors such as graphic problems.

P.s WoW is a perfect example of a Portable game, you can take it anywhere

Discovery portable release - Blaze - 03-29-2010

But how do take your accounts with you? They are stored in the registry

Discovery portable release - Llama - 03-29-2010

You just re-enter the code when it asked. Again, if a protable version was made, the would be no code problems...thats the beauty of it, i wont have to take my PC everywhere i go to play discovery.

Discovery portable release - Cannon - 03-29-2010

You can just copy a complete FL + discovery installation onto a USB drive. I do this all of the time. The only difficulty is setting the accounts up - so you also need to take a copy of FAM with out.

Discovery portable release - Tytanis - 03-29-2010

' Wrote:You can just copy a complete FL + discovery installation onto a USB drive. I do this all of the time. The only difficulty is setting the accounts up - so you also need to take a copy of FAM with out.

Easiest way to setup a portable/backup copy for your account is to do this:

1. Click on "Start"..."Run".
2. Type "regedit". Click "OK".
3. In the Registry Editor, navigate to:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0"
4. Click on File, export and save it where you desire.

All you have to do is store this on the USB or anywhere and just double-click it and you're good to go:)

Discovery portable release - Boss - 03-29-2010

Or just copy your FLAM directory. It has all your accounts in it.

Discovery portable release - ArmsAndLegs Guy - 03-29-2010

' Wrote:Like, When it doesnt have to be installed, it can be played by copying the freelancer folder to a USB and played on any PC anywhere that meets the specs it requires.

It does do this, but not well, it has a few errors such as graphic problems.
P.s WoW is a perfect example of a Portable game, you can take it anywhere
Unless Discoverygc aquire the rights to Freelancer from Microsoft, Discoverygc will never distribute a complete playable FL+Discovery mod installation. I'm pretty sure Igiss won't allow it.

If you follow Cannons advice you can set it up on your own portable installation on a USB key, from your own copy of the Freelancer install CD.

A & L Guy

Discovery portable release - Kazinsal - 03-30-2010

I think I'm going to try to build a portable FL installation. If it works, I'll write a program to do the installation to a USB drive and post it and the instructions on the forums.

Discovery portable release - 11of10 - 03-30-2010

You might want to try tinkering with the VMware player. It should be free to use, and be able to use the prepacked Virtual Machine made only to start one thing. It's not completely portable, as the host machine needs VMplayer installed, but I think it might be practical if someone just isn't comfortable with leaving his account codes on various computers.