Discovery Gaming Community
District 9 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Media Center (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: District 9 (/showthread.php?tid=37503)

Pages: 1 2 3

District 9 - schlurbi - 03-29-2010

So my Parents randomly got that Movie and I watched it yesterday. I was surprised, I havent heard about that Movie before and then I was like "ZOMG AWESOME!"

Nothing for Children though.

District 9 - tazuras - 03-29-2010

Yes, it is awesome, also, I think this belongs more in general discussion. Also, avatar is still better. But this is good, and a little more high context perhaps.

District 9 - schlurbi - 03-29-2010

This is the Media Section, District 9 is only a Movie though. I love how it is made, other than Avatar it is a lot more open, kind of let's you use your Fantasy what happens in District 10, or what Christopher and his small Shrimp are doing. Not sure if the English Version has Subtitles, but I found it awesome how they were speaking and you don't know what they are actually saying.

District 9 - Akura - 03-29-2010

I prefered this to Avatar.

His accent made the film at least 15% more awesome.

Worth watching.

District 9 - Marburg - 03-29-2010

I unknowingly saw the version without hardcoded subtitles & simply assumed that it was a story immersion ploy by the director, as I was able to deduce the gist of what the shrimps were saying in context of the english side of the conversations. I thought to myself at the time: "Man! that's brilliant!"

It wasn't until a couple months later that I learned that there are in fact subtitles for the shrimp-speak on the US disc releases.

Personally, I was disappointed when I found that out, and I don't ever want to see the version that has them.

All in all, one of the best sci-fi movies made in years & doesn't suffer from the hollywood blockbuster bandwagon BS that Avitar does.

District 9 - Akura - 03-29-2010

I saw the one without as well, I loved it, gave the aura of mystery as I had no idea what anyone was saying.

District 9 - Boss - 03-29-2010

Here's a tip: Christopher knows what "eviction" means, and he can read the fact that they're supposed to give 24 hours notice.

I, sadly, saw it with subtitles.

I want that exosuit.

District 9 - tazuras - 03-29-2010

Yeah, district 9 definitely felt more indy than avatar, and it was for an older audience as well I feel. Also Avatar had more of a fantasy feel.

PS. Hey, it does say to talk about movies in this section, crazy (im just so used to this section not being used for this kinda stuff).

District 9 - Dantrithor - 03-29-2010

I found it great, but... it missed something. It may be that you don't know what happens after the end of the movie, and that seemed like an excuse to get more money in the next "episode" of the movie, but... it lacked something.

District 9 - rhodes - 03-29-2010

Saw it in theaters thought it was pretty good. Think I'll go pick it up at the store sometime.