Discovery Gaming Community
Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see (/showthread.php?tid=38039)

Pages: 1 2

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Tenacity - 04-06-2010

So, I assume that anyone replying here is aware of the posts regarding the Sirius 250 A.S. Mod that I had started a dev team for. Unfortunately, many people have come to me claiming that the 250 A.S. time period did not have enough activity or conflict to really make it interesting enough. We were having to use entirely too much artistic license to make factions that really have no founding in vanilla/cannon freelancer lore just to create some combat scenarios for the players.

With that in mind, ideas have been brought up in the 250 AS dev chat regarding other possible mod ideas. We hadnt gotten too far into the 250 AS mod yet, so changing what we're working on is still a possibility. However, there's quite a bit of argument on which of the ideas we should work on.

Here's the list, and basic descriptions of each mod idea...

1. Sirius 250 A.S. Mod

For those who would like us to continue working on this, despite the fact that we're having to add a lot of elements which shouldnt really exist in the time period. The Sirius 250 A.S. Mod was intended to allow discovery players (and others) to experience a point in time during the early days of Sirius colonization, only 250 years after the Liberty made planetfall on Manhattan.
The 250 A.S. date was chosen specifically because it was late enough that all four houses had developments and exploration in full gear, but early enough that no tradelanes existed, and very few jumpgates existed - allowing us to create something that felt "big" while being both somewhat familiar ground, as well as something new.

2. Exodus Mod

The Exodus mod idea is based on a group of individuals from the coalition-alliance war period which were left behind by the sleeper ships, but managed to follow the sleepers towards sirius. As a quick, rough explanation/timeline to give you an idea of what's going on:

-During the alliance/coalition war, shortly before the launch of the sleeper ships, an Alliance officer organizes a team of alliance spec ops personnel with the intent of infiltrating a Coalition POW (prisoner of war) ship - the goal being the rescue of several high ranking alliance officers, including the brother of the organizing officer, so that they could join the sleeper ship operation and leave for sirius.

-After taking the control room of the POW ship, the officer and his team discover that the Coalition has made an early attack on the Sleeper Ship staging site, and that the sleeper ships were leaving without them.

-In a desperate attempt to avoid being left behind, the Alliance team takes full control of the POW ship with the help of the alliance prisoners, and modifies the onboard cryo-facilities to turn the POW ship into a ramshackle sleeper ship. After the conversion, the crew sets course to follow the alliance sleeper ships to sirius.

-The POW ship, having less powerful engines than the sleeper ships, moves much slower. It arrives on the outskirts of Sirius (outside of discovery's systems) - having run out of fuel before reaching the colonized portions of sirius. It's arrival is somewhere around 700-750 A.S.

-The crew of the POW ship is automatically woken from cryosleep when the ship's reactor goes offline - out of fuel. The crew finds themselves in orbit of a gas giant, in a region of space with no inhabitable planets and very few resources.

-In a desperate struggle to survive, the crew descends into anarchy, forming several factions which spread out in the region - constructing several ramshackle space stations and creating a large station out of the POW ship itself. These groups all combat one another in a war over the few resources of the area.

Never having developed the technology that the houses did, and having limited resources, would allow for a much different technological arc/development from what we see in freelancer/discovery. This mod idea also gives us full artistic license to create all new factions, ship designs, etc. - and eventually this could be incorporated into discovery, as the POW ship and it's regional factions are discovered by the ever expanding discovery houses/factions.

3. Lost Houses Mod

Going off of a similar idea to the Exodus Mod - here, instead of using POW ship that tried to follow the sleeper ships, we use the other sleeper ships which were assumed destroyed. There were a total of 8 ships, five made it to sirius, and the gallia to the area just outside of sirius, that leaves two ships which were supposedly destroyed in the coalition attack. These two ships could have simply been heavily damaged and limped into an area outside of sirius.

Once again, the primary idea is that these ships arrive in a very bleak area of space with few resources or habitable planets, and end up fighting over what little is available.

4. Starlancer 2.0 Mod

Apparently some groups have tried to do this type of mod before, but never succeeded. The idea is simple - we re-create Starlancer, using the enhanced engine of freelancer with high-res models, planets, environmental effects, etc. Essentially making a mod that looks good, but is based on starlancer's ships, combat, and environment.

An interesting idea that came up for this was to split the sol system up into several different "systems". I.e., where in freelancer we have the 'new york system' or 'texas system' - in this mod we'd have the 'earth sector' or 'jupiter sector'. Each system would simply be the area around a single planet, allowing us to create realistically scaled environments for better visual effect.

Personally I like this one the best, but the main argument against it from the other devs is that it would essentially be a pvp-based mod, with little to no trading or mining type activities, but rather being solely based on combat.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Linkus - 04-06-2010

I say 250 AS, if we are allowed to create the history of Discovery that is.

IE, deviate from the timeline set out already.
Such as colonial skirmishes between the houses in say, 500 AS etc.
Or small factions forming, taking a small system for themselves, getting destroyed and the system being developed by a House.
Etc etc.

Basically, if we are given more artistic licence, but nothing insane, then 250 AS.

Otherwise either the Exodus or Lost Houses.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Mao - 04-06-2010

I like the Starlancer idea. Never played it because it had ugly graphics and such but the same game with FL engine, YES PLEASE!

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Cosmos - 04-06-2010

star trek/star wars mod...ftw.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Tenacity - 04-06-2010

' Wrote:star trek/star wars mod...ftw.

Not happening, both have been done before. We're looking to make something relatively new.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - NonSequitor - 04-06-2010

A Starlancer Mod would be nice. I always liked the vessel designs from that game.
It would make bomber pilots Q.Q due to the fact that bombers are flying coffins in Starlancer.

Trading and mining could be considered. Convoys from moon to moon, sector to sector. Running blockades, raiding the opponent's trade routes. Mining fields could be in the asteroid belt between Jupiter and Mars. And some moons could have some mineable goodies on them.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Galm-1 - 04-06-2010

I really like the Exodus Mod or the Lost Houses Mod idaes, because you could combine then with the current discovery mod, and add all the foreign technology, something new would be AMAZING, because freelancer is fun and all, but it's still the same stuff just expanded, if you started a whole new society, it'd make things much more interesting in my opinion...

P.S. You should also expand the server capacity sometimes, it does fill up....

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - Cawdor - 04-06-2010

meh. just rename everything in gallia and make it coalition and bam! perfect mod.

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - AJBeast - 04-07-2010

To be honest I don't quite see the point of this thread. You have a team, you should do what you want, not what the community wants. I don't even see how what they think could have any influence on the mod.. I mean, they aren't the ones making it after all.

That said, I'll go for option 4. Starlancer with better models, better engine and mouse support? Yes please!

PS: Isn't 3 like what we are trying to do with Broken Bonds?

Vote for the freelancer mod you'd like to see - swift - 04-07-2010

I'm mostly with Linkus on this one.
The 250 A.S mod sounded and still does sound good and promising, but the Exodus and Lost Houses, I really must say, look even -more- promising to me.
Your call to make, and whichever you do, I've a feeling that this is going to be something great.