Discovery Gaming Community
Open SP player looking for help - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Open SP player looking for help (/showthread.php?tid=39895)

Open SP player looking for help - wrugoin - 05-12-2010

Hello All,

1st time poster in this community. First of all, fantastic mod! It's cool to see a community still heavily involved in this gem of a game. I wanted to ask some questions regarding Disco in Open SP. I enjoy the freedom of open SP and would like to get the most out of this wonderful mod... and I'd like to explore all viewpoints of this game without hacking or cheating. However, I'm open to cheating/hacking only if required due to impossible game mechanics.

A little word about my history with this mod. I've played open SP Disco 2 different occasions. Back when it was 4.82 and then a few years later with 4.84. I've picked it back up a few weeks ago with 4.85 and spent about 13 hours to earn a nice Raven Talon VHF that I'm using to explore the galaxy. With that said, I understand most of the mechanics around the factions, rep, ships, galaxy ect... But some stuff eludes me.

I want to make sure i'm not wasting your time so I've spent many hours on the Wiki and forums before asking these questions. But if anyone has the time to address my questions, it'd be most appreciated.

1. Back in the day, Nomads dropped the Blasters and Cannons. With my travels, I've killed probably 100 nomad fighters and not one gun has dropped. Have the nomad ships been changed no not drop these gun? (I imagine it has due to the restrictions on mounting these guns) but I just wanted to check.

2. If I want to mod my game and change a ship's loot, which ini file do I need to change. I've looked at the Loadout.ini and found the nomad fighters and they seem to have the guns in their cargo, just not dropping them when killed. Also, if i wanted to change a ship's power supply (capacity and regen) which file would I need to mod?

3. Starting a new game as a rookie freelancer in the Pennsylvania System (Open SP), is it possible to eventually build rep and find way to join a faction like the Keepers, Phantoms or the Kingdom of Gallia? It seems like these are factions, that in 24/7, you need an invite to join. Is it possible to do this without hacking in Open SP?

4. When working to build Guard Rep with a non-bribe faction, is there an advantage in equipping the ID of that faction? I.E. do I need to trade in my freelancer ID for a Liberty Navy ID or an Order ID if I want to gain Guard Rep for those factions? Will my rep be any easier to obtain if the proper ID is equipped?

5. Trade routes. With 4.85 it seems like the trade routes I used to do a few years ago have changed. Since in Open SP I really don't have to worry about PVP and Pirates, just the game's NPC AI, can anyone suggest some profitable trade routes. Same goes with mining. Currently I'm farming nomads in Omrican Theta and running them back to Cambridge Research until I can afford a nice Freighter.

6. Is it possible to host an internet Disco game on my computer, and connect to that game to play on the same computer? I've tried to host a disco game with my friends and for some reason I can't connect to the game I'm hosting. I'm using the FLServer.exe file found in the exe directory. If there's an easy way that I'm missing, please detail those steps. Consider me a noob when detailing the steps.

Thank you for your time to read my post and consider my questions. It's greatly appreciated.

Open SP player looking for help - Sprolf - 05-12-2010

1. They do not drop anymore.

2. Very many.

3. No, no, yes.

4. In SP, the only difference is tractor beam colour.

5. This is not a question. Routes change. There is no mining bonus in SP.

6. Absolutely. You'll probably need to do it over LAN / patch in the IP and such manually, though.

Open SP player looking for help - Cris - 05-12-2010

However you can get Inocross freelancer character editor to edit your save game and put whatever loadout and stuff you want

1. They do not drop anymore.
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering if the drop rate was so low that I was just getting unlucky. Thanks!

2. Very many.
I'm guessing you mean that this would be a project in itself and probably not worth considering with my limited modding skills. It's not that important. I'll consider building Order Guard Rep if I really, REALLY want nomad cannons on my ship

3. No, no, yes.
I guess I asked too many questions in this one. The final yes... what do you mean by this? Are there maybe... console commands where I can just modify my rep to make them friendly?

4. In SP, the only difference is tractor beam colour.
Cool, thanks. I guess my ID choice in open SP will be strictly for RP purposes

5. This is not a question. Routes change. There is no mining bonus in SP.
Yeah, I guess it's not a question, however, I'm just looking for advice on profitable trade routes that, without real player pirates and PVP, would be worth pursuing. I guess it's a hypothetical asking if the 24/7 server was empty for a few hours, i.e. no pirates to get in your way, which trade routes would you jump at?

6. Absolutely. You'll probably need to do it over LAN / patch in the IP and such manually, though.
This only sort of made sense to me. I'm not much of a network guy. I'll pursue this issue with a different thread. Thanks for getting the ball rolling though.

Thanks again... I appreciate the quick reply.

Open SP player looking for help - Evan_ - 05-12-2010

You speak English. You have internet. You are registered on the forums. Why don't you just join and play with us? There's no npc can compete with our worst player (rp-wise at least), and no pre-written story could ever beat that epic complex dynamic umm stuff what goes on here.

EDIT: Crisfg already mentioned Ioncross-ed. Download it, have fun(?) with it. It will make you get bored with the SP real soon, so nothing will hold you back of joining.

' Wrote:You speak English. You have internet. You are registered on the forums. Why don't you just join and play with us? There's no npc can compete with our worst player (rp-wise at least), and no pre-written story could ever beat that epic complex dynamic umm stuff what goes on here.

EDIT: Crisfg already mentioned Ioncross-ed. Download it, have fun(?) with it. It will make you get bored with the SP real soon, so nothing will hold you back of joining.

Eventually I may. I love the mod, but first want to explore the game in SP mode. I'll be honest, what keeps me from joining is the fact that I really don't enjoy role-playing to the extent that 24/7 demands. Always staying in character, limiting my tech or what ship I can fly based on the faction I need to choose just doesn't appeal to me.

I enjoy playing Open SP. It has the sandbox feel and it give me the opportunity to change the game slightly to suite my needs. Currently I turn off AI pilots from using b/b to avoid every battle becoming a marathon. I guess that kinda makes me sort of a pansy... but whatever, it's how I like to play :$