Discovery Gaming Community
Scrap Metal - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Scrap Metal (/showthread.php?tid=41765)

Pages: 1 2

Scrap Metal - Cyberanson - 06-12-2010

While I am getting my beloved ALG Waste Disposal back on track, I discovered some things, which are rather confusing to me.

The Mining Guide tells me, that ALG can mine Scrap Metal in New Berlin and New London. Well, that's okay, although I would miss the large fields in Texas and New York, but that's not the main problem.
ALG services reach from Scrap mining, melting the stuff and selling it as Ship Hull panels and basic alloy. Now I am asking why this supply chain is that broken... Scrap doesn't sell very well on Dortmund, Ship Hull panels are way too expensive and so on...

Are there plans to adjust that?

Scrap Metal - bobby - 06-12-2010

I'd talk to Xoria about that. :\

Scrap Metal - Cyberanson - 06-12-2010

Umm, well... I'd have several ideas on how to improve the entire scrap metal - melting - reselling - cycle. By now, we only know a single type of scrap, which is... Scrap Metal. I find it kind of confusing that ALG is making the big product palette out of a single resource.

I don't know anything about the mining mod, but I could imagine, that it would be possible to add different things, which spawn out of old ship graveyards.

An example: Texas was witness of the big dark matter wave and we find large fields of scrap there. Due to the fact that all the military and civilian vessel were hit quick and out of the sudden, these fields could contain different types of scrap:
  • old and broken engines
  • scrapped power cores
  • floating bubbles of ship fuel
  • broken freight tanks
  • and so on
Now if it would be possible to add a small variety to the scrap fields, of which all items sell in different locations, that would be cool. E.g.: old engines, power cores in Dortmund, freight tanks on New London, old fuel tanks somewhere in Kusari,...

What do you think of this?

Scrap Metal - bobby - 06-12-2010

Actually, I was talking to a fellow Junker a few days ago...
I forget his name, Charles something...
Anyway, he had the idea that while mining in scrap fields, sometimes other items such as engine components, ship hull panels, etc would drop.

Makes it seem like you're actually salvaging instead of just cutting metal up.

I also had the idea of cap and transport pieces that hang around for a while might somehow become miniature wrecks, that you can loot for a similar effect.

But... This is more Junker related, than ALG, I guess.

But yeah, your idea is cool, too.

Scrap Metal - Osilon - 06-13-2010

Would it be possible to make different materials drop from scrap fields? Just using this as an example, but in WoW, when you're mining, you have the possibility to gain different items, such as excess rock, gemstones, as well as the material you're mining.
If you think about it, junkers should, from scrap, be able to gain:
Scrap metal
Excess H-fuel
Engine components
Hull panels
And a whole bunch of other stuff from the wreckage.

Scrap Metal - Shush Muppet - 06-13-2010

Why not also have scrap fields drop random armor augments, thrusters, shields, and scanners? In scrap fields that contain ship hulks, of course... These sort of drops wouldn't be that frequent, but it'd be cool to actually salvage something you can use. Especially if you manage to salvage a CapArmor mk VIII that you could either use or sell on the forums.

No. no matter how infrequent drops are, salvaging a Cap8 would be a little too far, considering it is the price of a battleship, or around that.

Scrap Metal - Kazinsal - 06-13-2010

' Wrote:No. no matter how infrequent drops are, salvaging a Cap8 would be a little too far, considering it is the price of a battleship, or around that.
However, occasionally finding an AU1 or 2 or a few civilian guns or what have you in a scrap field could be pretty cool. Imagine shooting a rock and all of a sudden something actually worth picking up drops!

Yes, and you could create small pockets in some areas of the fields, such as there is an area in one scrap field in Bretonia that contains several pieces of Bretonian battleship, i can't remember where though. Things like this could have different yields, and give off hull panels, and maybe the occasional battleship equip.

Scrap Metal - bobby - 06-13-2010

Sooo, pretty much you said what I just said.