Discovery Gaming Community
Navy Life & Other Musings, The Diary of Rachel Baker. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Stories and Biographies (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+--- Thread: Navy Life & Other Musings, The Diary of Rachel Baker. (/showthread.php?tid=42838)

Pages: 1 2

Navy Life & Other Musings, The Diary of Rachel Baker. - Sarawr!? - 06-28-2010

<<Entry One.>>
<<Date: 6/27/817 A.S.>>
<<Begin Audio Recording.>>

[font=Century Gothic]So it's like this...I figure I'll be like one of those starship commanders from the old holo-tapes and start my own "Captain's Log", but whatever, I just want an excuse to have a place to vent, to let go...maybe even argue with myself, hah! to be honest, nobody else is ever gonna read this, so what the hell? might as well talk to myself!

Officially, I'm Lieutenant Commander Rachel Baker, Commanding Officer of the New York Class Liberty Navy Gunboat "Lady Liberty". Age twenty-eight, been in the Navy since I was eighteen, born and raised on Planet Los Angeles by a Police Cap...eh, the hell am I doing? this is a diary! it's supposed to contain recent events, not my damn life story!

Right so...I keep running into this Freelancer, name's Vincent Pryor, his ship is what got my attention the first time I ran into him, I mean c'mon, a Tridente that wasn't shooting at me? go figure! But it gets better...now we're bumping into another at least once during my flight time, be I on duty or off...I'm starting to wonder if it's coincidence or not. I'm betting not.

I mean...he's always there, don't get me wrong, I mean, he's nice and everything, and playful too...I think he's into me...but who knows? I mean, we've never actually met face to face...it just seems that way, what with him being playful...and protective...oh that reminds me!

We flew together out to Barrier Gate Station last night and some random moron in a Transport started threatening me...and Vince was right there, sticking up for me and threatening this moron that he'd blow him away in my name...Oh but there I go...rambling on eheh...I think I made him mad,

though I didn't get to think long on that...some pirates showed up on the tradelane a short while afterwards, nothing too exciting..just the standard scumbags acting all tough and then getting blown away, or running off with their tails between their legs...that fight ended quick though, we killed two of them, but this Rogue got away...I'm sure we'll kill or capture him soon enough though anyway.

Haven't seen Vince since earlier, probably scared him off or something.. Got bad-mouthed by some Freelancing Mercenary, put her in her place real quick though...ended my patrol, so here I am, in a bunk on Norfolk, staring at the ceiling and talking to myself...eck, my mind is a mess, maybe I really do need more downtime?...

[color=#FFFFFF]<<End Audio Recording.>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 06-28-2010

<<Entry Two.>>
<<Date: 6/28/817AS.>>
<<Begin Audio Recording.>>

*Rachel sighs softly*

Ran two patrols over the period of today, the first one started with some pirate by the name of "Captain Reynolds" trying to tell myself and Major Jimmy Patterson of the Liberty Marines that a Lieutenant Commander was not the equivalent of a Marine Corps. Major, we quickly corrected him, although he attempted to change his argument several times. Which eventually resulted in the Major and myself rattling off lists of our respective organizations' chains of command...the pirate shut up real quick after that, hahaha...figures he would, I mean c'mon! pirates trying to lecture soldiers on their ranks?! Pffftahahaha, That's rich, I tell ya... that first patrol ended peacefully and I managed to catch some shut eye before the Fleet Admiral summoned me to patrol on his wing.

That was a rather uneventful patrol too, except for a minor engagement which I didn't wind up taking part in...as it was dealt with, some weird Lane Hacker talking about somebody named "Allah" and shouting really loud while attempting to drop mines on us...Oh, and then we encountered an IMG Battlecruiser, what a fat...ugly ship that is! I mean damn! I feel sorry for the people who have to serve aboard those things! ...oh, right, I digress...so we ordered that ship out of Libertonian space, and it complied...so, that went well too I suppose.

After that, I headed for West Point and docked up, I needed some more shut-eye, I'll say this, being in space for pro-longed periods of time does some weeeeird things to the internal clock...what with not being able to tell the difference between night and day...

Damn...I think I'm going a little insane -- That, or I'm just really taking to this personal diary thing nicely...Anyway, I should probably head out for another patrol, given that I'm awake, and technically still on duty, so for now...

This is Lieutenant Commander Rachel Baker, signing off.

[color=#FFFFFF]<<End Audio Recording.>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 10-16-2010

<<Entry Three>>
<<Date: 10/16/817AS>>
<<Begin Audio Recording>>

A soft, sarcastic sounding laugh can be heard.

"It's a little ironic, if you ask me, diary. I mean....my third entry comes while I sit on Reserve status. I'm seperated from the Primary Fleet and hardly even in uniform anymore...damned planet-side affairs! this is supposed to be the diary of a soldier!"

Another soft laugh, followed by a sigh.

"Anyways...down to business I suppose. God knows it's been a while since I've vented at myself...hah. So I've come home to planet Los Angeles to bury my father, old bastard's heart just couldn't take living in this hellhole anymore...Can't blame it really. That's why I'm glad I got out, there's no way I was going to become a cop, or anything else for that matter, in this Godforsaken city on this Godforsaken rock..."

Yet another laugh, this one carrying a more somber tone than the others.

"As I was saying...I've been thinking lately, about God, something I never did before but now I want to be able to think I'm all set, should any disaster befall me in space. This is something that's never happened before but...I've actually taken up praying, somtimes, still, really strange. I think being planetside has given me too much time to think...I need to be back in space, I long for it, I need to wear the uniform full time again...I need to fly with my comrades, taking down criminals and terrorists. Doing those things leaves me little time to think...I can't wait until the day I'm reactivated for Active Duty....this sucks. Aw damnit Diary...I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore!...I really don't...why am I even sitting here talking into this voice recorder?...I'm starting to feel dumb as hell, screw this!"

A forlorn groan followed by a loud click is heard.

<<End Audio Recording>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 12-25-2010

<<Entry Four>>
<<Date: 12/25/817AS>>

"Rachel here, so right now I'm sitting here in this hospital bed on Norfolk Shipyard...seems I'm worth some twenty five million credits now...I got away though, and I'll be out by morning...boy, a lot has friggen happened these past few days...Oh, and Merry Christmas, Diary."

The sound of Rachel laughing a genuinely happy laugh is heard.

"Well...I think I'm in love!, strange time to reflect on something like that, I know! but I think I really am!...He's strong, handsome, kinda mysterious, Oh, and protective too! God I haven't felt this happy since Highschool, it's almost ridiculous, and oh yes diary, I've talked about him before! Vince Pryor...God, I even like saying his name! that's gotta be a good thing, right?!..Right! ...We finally met face to face, it was nice...he's sweet, and like...I dunno, I just instantly feel safe being around him, it's hard to explain...but when he hugs me it's like...like everything running through my mind just...disappears...Hahaha, God I'm so HAPPY!"

Rachel sighs softly.

"I did almost die today though...in a debris field, and then again after my escape pod malfunctioned, but again, like the time at Barrier Gate, Vince was right there, ready to protect me and be my hero all over again...honestly, if it weren't for him I would've died today...it's crazy, my pod malfunctioned and he came looking for me right away, pulled me out of it too and then stayed with me all the way until the medics brought me here to this hospital room...and again, he stuck his neck out for me when the one who put the bounty on me showed up, I almost feel bad, like I might be responsible if something bad happens to him...I dunno, I don't want to think about it too much, I'm just so glad...that he was there for me today, so glad that he'll continue to be here for me...it feels good, not being alone anymore, knowing that things won't go to hell once my career ends, knowing that my life means something to somebody...anyway Diary, I'm signing off before I get too emotional here. This is Rachel Baker, Out!"

<<End Audio Recording>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 06-11-2011

<<Entry Five>>
<<Date:6/11/818>>

Rachel can be heard laughing briefly, but happily.

"Thank GOD! It's finally happened! I'm back to Space-borne duties! I was beginning to think I was doomed to training new recruits on Manhattan FOREVER! God I'm so excited to get back up there!"

Rachel laughs again, softer this time, and can be heard taking a breath.

"Oh man...this is THE BEST day ever, diary! I mean...like, you don't even know!...eheh, well you do, or I do...I mean, yeah...It's just awesome! Hahaha, It's just so good to have my Flight Wings back, I'm to board a shuttle for Norfolk Shipyard within the hour....Good God, I really did think this day would never come!"

Rachel takes another breath.

"Ohhh man, well haha! I guess that's all, Diary....This is Lieutenant Commander Rachel Baker, signing off!"

<<End Audio Recording>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 01-05-2012

<<Entry Six>>
<<01/819AS>>

"Well! the last few days have certainly been interesting! My first day back in space was filled with...violence, a handful of pirates lost their lives, which is never something taken lightly....but at least I know I've not forgotten how to pilot a ship in my absence..."

Rachel sighs softly.

"Buuut, of course, there are much better things I could be talking about...like for example, my er...tour, of a Renzu Liner owned by a very handsomeahah, apparently wealthy man, named Luc Morningstar. Let me tell you diary, that ship was amazing! even the furniture looked, and felt like it probably cost more than the weapons on my Guardian! it was amazing...I've never, -ever- seen a ship like that before...I'm wondering if I'll get to take another tour at some point, explore the ship a little better next time maybe...I mean, I only saw a couple of the bedrooms...but that's not important!"

She laughs happily.

"But again...I'm just ranting on and on. More importantly, Admiral Hale saw fit to promote me to Captain, it's going to be a more paperwork intensive deal than what I'm used to, but it still keeps me in a ship and that's what makes me happiest! that and well, the shiny new collar pins are nice too!"

Rachel pauses, laughing softly this time.

"No but in all seriousness, I intend to perform the duties assigned and trusted to me as a Captain of the Liberty Navy, to the best of my abilities. I intend to lead by example and not to fail my superiors, OR my subordinates. The Navy is my family...I mean, aside from dad but...I guess he doesn't count anymore much..hah..there I go again, digressing from the important and happy, into something depressing and serious..."

Rachel sighs heavily, before finally turning off the audio recorder.

<<End Audio Recording>>

The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 06-15-2012

<<Entry Six>>
<<06/15/819>>

"Feels like it's been ages since I recorded anything...partly because it has...In any event, I've gotten my Naval career back on track, and I've been placed in charge of Recruitment & Retention...which is interesting, to say the least. My shoulders feel so heavy lately, and sometimes I wonder if I'm doing the right thing here..So many of the young recruits whose papers I sign, will, inevitably lose their lives in space, and I can't help but feel as if it's at least partly my fault...I know I shouldn't blame myself, but I do, and I just...I don't know, I feel horrible sometimes...Of course, I never let anyone see that side of me.."

Rachel sighs softly.

"...Anyway, moving on to some less depressing thoughts, I've got...well..."

She pauses, laughing slightly.

"..I guess you could call it a date, not a term I use often, I know...but, it could be interesting, I've never really considered men from Kusari before.."

Rachel pauses to take a breathe, laughing softly.

"Not sure what else to say...hm, I dunno....there's just so much going on, war with Gallia seems more and more inevitable every day, and the war with Rheinland has become even more vicious recently, with near constant raids into the Texas system, But I know at least, that we'll hold the Rheinlanders there...Man, there really is NOTHING else to talk about...my God!"

She laughs again, before turning off the Audio Recorder.

<<End Audio Recording>>

RE: The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 09-30-2012

<<Entry Seven>>
<<9/30/819>>

Rachel's voice sounds tired and strained.

"You know, Diary...I do this a lot, huh?...go silent for weeks, even months at a time...I need to stop doing this.."

She exhales softly and some shuffling can be heard in the background before she speaks again.

"Anyway...a whole crap load has happened since my last recording, I'm an Admiral now, for one thing..."

Rachel lets out a brief, hollow laugh.

"Never in my life did I imagine that I'd be wearing silver stars on my collar...not ever, and certainly not at this age. You know, people tell me that since I'm an Admiral I'm supposed to be chained to an office now, Hell...they tell me lots of things, But I don't think I'll ever stop acting like a Captain...I didn't enlist to fly a goddamn desk, but then again...I didn't enlist with the intent of doing half the things I've done by now...Anyway, I should stop rambling...especially to myself..."

Rachel laughs again, a bit more amused this time.

"Anyway...things with Kaido seem to have gotten weird. We got real close, I even uh...well, you know. Anyway, I haven't heard from him in months now. I guess it's to be expected though, since Gallia's influence over Kusari seems to grow stronger by the week, as our relations with them grow colder and colder..."

She sighs heavily now, and the sound of a glass being placed down can be heard.

"War...I mean like, major, terrible, brutal war, seems to be looming ever closer. The Bretonians won't hold out much longer, and we've even begun to see small Gallic incursion forces on our borders. War with Gallia will be nothing like our relatively minor "Border War" with Rheinland, of that much...I have no doubt. I know we'll fight though...The men and women-"

Her voice trails off, and she laughs coldly before continuing.

"No...so many, too many of those serving our Republic are hardly even men or women at all, they're more like boys and girls.."

Rachel sighs again, and the sound of liquid being poured into a glass can be heard.

"..But, they're trained well, and most of the Pilots and Marines have some form of combat experience...still though, doesn't make too much of a damn difference. These kids, they shouldn't have to experience what's coming, It's not right...But I'll be right there with them, they can count on that. I won't let them walk into hell alone."

Rachel lets out a weak laugh and some shuffling around can be heard.

"Right..I'm gonna end this recording now, and finish this bottle before I start to not make sense, I'm out."

A brief click can be heard as the recording is stopped.

<<End Audio Recording>>

RE: The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 10-02-2012

<<Entry Eight>>
<<10/1/819>>

Rachel's voice is quiet, as if thoughtful.

"..Lambert, Lieu-..No, James, is a good man."

She sighs softly before continuing.

"We almost died today...Those things are becoming more and more active...and they're definitely intelligent, too. Hiding amongst a bunch of refugees?...despicable!"

Rachel lets out a soft, defeated, sound.

"Anyway..James tried to shield both David and myself, during today's events...he even tackled me out of the way of a flamethrower!"

She laughs softly, taking a breath before continuing

"It's officers like him that give me hope for The Republic, People like him are what make our Navy one of the best fighting forces in all Sirius, that, and our technology of course!"

The sound of a bottle being popped open can be heard.

"Mngh...I'm not sure though, about James, I mean. There's definitely more to him, It's becoming increasingly obvious, near each time we fly together. There are some things a background check just can't tell me...And now he's taking care of this child Who I think is just as likely to kill him as any other 'Rogue'...Still though, it's kind of sweet, I just don't know.."

Her voice trails off, and some brief rhythmic tapping can be heard before she speaks again.

"Man, My mind is a mess...I think that's all for now. Goodnight, diary."

Rachel laughs a little before a soft click is heard, ending the recording.

<<End Audio Recording>>

RE: The Diary Of A Soldier? - Sarawr!? - 02-12-2013

<<Entry Nine>>
<<Battleship Yukon, Monday.>>

Rachel sighs heavily, speaking in a somewhat shaky tone as the recording begins.

"I...saw a ghost today. That's...really, the best way to describe it. He was using an encrypted identification code, and flying under the callsign of a classified division of the Navy, but..it was just all wrong.."

She sighs again before continuing.

"I didn't get him to admit that I was right, and his voice was being distorted by his helmet mic...so I really don't even have any proof that the pilot was who I think but...I just..No. I KNOW it was Sanders, I know it was."

Rachel shifts in her seat, her movement causing faint but audible shuffling sounds in addition to the sound of throat clearing.

"I don't get it...he's a deserter, a traitor even, running out to join some pirate band, at least that was the story I heard. He ran out on the Navy when we needed people like him the most, and yet...I can't bring myself to see him as a coward...God, what the hell is wrong with me?"

She laughs sullenly, taking a sharp breath before continuing.

"I should've detained him, or destroyed his ship...or some damn thing! I was sure about his identity and I let him get away, I watched him fly off and I couldn't stop him...a traitor to The Republic and I didn't stop him. I let the past, no, I let my emotions prevent me from doing my damn job...I have to find him, I will find him..and I WILL get to the bottom of this mess..."

The pop of a can being opened can be heard in the background.

"That man made a fool of me today...I will prove that he's who I believe him to be, and I WILL make sure that if he won't serve The Republic in a Navy uniform, he'll do so in a prison uniform."

She sighs softly, picking up the recording device, fumbling it around a bit, causing audible interference.

"...Yeah, I'm done for now."

She sets the recorder back down on the table before turning it off.

<<End Audio Recording>>