Discovery Gaming Community
Another Idea For Police Factions - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Another Idea For Police Factions (/showthread.php?tid=44512)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another Idea For Police Factions - Michael Trenton - 07-28-2010

We all know that most routine space-traffic stops end up deadly. So, why can't we have that option to arrest the suspect? I know you're all saying, "The game mechanics don't allow us to actually arrest someone." BUT I say, "If there's a will, there's a way."

How do we arrest people?

I had two thoughts or rather ideas on this question.

1. Role-Play it! - Granted this may not be the most effective way, but if enough people understood how to RP it, then maybe the rest can ... "Monkey see, Monkey do."

Example: Police Officer Matt halts Suspected Smuggler John for a cargo scan. Matt finds 1,000 crates of Cardamine in John's cargo bay. He immediately orders John to drop all his cargo and follow him to Sugarland Prison in the Texas System. John complies, because he knows that the alternative would end his life.
Once they arrive at Sugarland Prison, Officer Matt talks to the Judge (the Judge/Guard will probably be in a big ship) outside and fills him in on the situation. John pleas guilty and apologizes for what he has done. He claims that he had to do it, or the Outcasts would kill his girlfriend. The Judge didn't believe him and sentenced him to 3 years in prison.
Since John can't dock on the prison, he has to F1 next to it and not return on that character for 30 minutes. If he does return to the character before his time is up, he will be considered a fugitve that broke out of prison and will be shot on sight (Unless he shows up a few minutes before his time is up just to hang out.)

2. Suspect Docks on Prison Ship - I think this one is not possible at this time, because it requires the suspect to be able to use a command to "dock" on a lawful ship. The suspect/prisoner wouldn't be able use turrets and I'm not sure if he should have the ability to "undock" unless his time is up, but I don't think that would work either..

Example: Use the same scenario as above. This time the Judge is in a prison ship and John docks on the Judge to serve his term. The Judge can then fly around freely while RPing with prisoner(s) or whoever.

Terms: I think giving a 4 hour term as a penalty should be a life sentence. If we want to put that in more flexible terms we can convert it to hours and divide it by 10 to make it look like yearly terms. For example, if I wanted to give someone a life sentence I would multiply 4 by 60 to get 240. Then I would divide 240 by 10 to get 24. I would then say to the prisoner that his sentence is 24 years or life sentence. That prisoner would then have to serve 4 hours, before they can be free again.
As another example, lets give someone a sentence of 5 years. In order to figure out how many minutes they need to serve, we have to multiply 5 by 10. Which gives us 50 minutes.

Further Ideas: Just think of other things that could be available in RP. The Police can now have C.I.s, prison breaks, etc.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Anything you would change?

Another Idea For Police Factions - TheJarl - 07-28-2010

I always found it stupid that police always as to go shoot every candythief in Sirius, this idea might actually solve that.

Another Idea For Police Factions - hypermauler - 07-28-2010

Regardless of the way you do it. Both side must Role-play it.
I mean yes police officers should act more civilized then bandits but the suspect must put real effort to do so.

The trend in this game with hostile players interactions is to destroy-''effective'' but relatively RP poor and inappropriate in some circumstances like your idea.

It saddens me to say that in order to make your idea work , it would requires one or multiple additional game mechanic features (Locked formation, dock blocker and else).

As for the time: well I don't disagree but something should be done on a Role-play thread. Like the jail database and record.

Another Idea For Police Factions - alphadog - 07-28-2010

' Wrote:I always found it stupid that police always as to go shoot every candythief in Sirius, this idea might actually solve that.
Well, its more the other way around. We always try to arrest suspects, but they almost never comply. It always ends up shooting, and not because of the police...

Another Idea For Police Factions - Aoyagi - 07-28-2010

I already saw this happening. A BAF ship was sitting on Fuchu (I think it was Goodmen) saying it was arrested/captured.

The only thing I can think of would be that (only) police ID'd people would have some kind of EMP weapons. Those would of course disable the criminal's ship's engines, shields and weapons and drops cargo (at this point police should not be able to kill the ship), but they wouldn't do any/very little hull or shield damage and probably would work only when the criminal would have shields down. Then the officer would be able to beam/whatever the hostile ship to prison for predetermined time (I'd make it 20 minutes max, though, maybe 15). If the character with the same name associated with the player would be flying in space during this time, it would be violation of rules (Get it? Horrible syntax). Otherwise, when you'd arrest my bomber, I could go kill you with my VHF, gunboat, HF or VLF whilst being busted, which is of course nonsense.

Without this it has to be in RP only.

Or you can say "Rules of the wilderness!" and shoot the weaker one.

Edit: The guns might require third bar, which would be core stability or whatever. That's what would the guns eat.

Edit2: And of course, if the criminal ship be floating disabled in space for, say 5 minutes, it would repair. Or something.

Edit3!: >.> Anyway, it could be used for a light fighter in CD slot.

Another Idea For Police Factions - Dejavu - 07-28-2010

' Wrote:I always found it stupid that police always as to go shoot every candythief in Sirius, this idea might actually solve that.

Candy Thief? Uhh...its a thief so of course we're going to go after it. If we left everyone of them out there Liberty would be -a lot- worse.

Another Idea For Police Factions - TheJarl - 07-28-2010

' Wrote:Candy Thief? Uhh...its a thief so of course we're going to go after it. If we left everyone of them out there Liberty would be -a lot- worse.

I know but my point is that it always ends up in pew pew. Which is totally unrealistic.

Another Idea For Police Factions - Aoyagi - 07-28-2010

' Wrote:I know but my point is that it always ends up in pew pew. Which is totally unrealistic.
That's because there is no death penalty. Implement that, and it won't always end up with gunfire...

Another Idea For Police Factions - Canadianguy - 07-28-2010

Like many people said, it would only work if both sides RP it correctly.

The bad guy could just decide to send a Torp on your prison ship or to shoot you while you RP the arrestation and just go away.

Another Idea For Police Factions - Michael Trenton - 07-28-2010

For the suspect/prisoner to attack the prison ship or guard ship is still in RP. People can still break out of custody. Although if they did try to break out, they will be shot on sight.