Discovery Gaming Community
The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Freelancer Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: The campaign for Freelancer's source code (/showthread.php?tid=44795)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Ingenious - 08-09-2010

My goal in making this post is to provide the entire freelancer community with as much information as possible so that the community has the greatest possible chances of obtaining Freelancer's source code somehow. I will support assertions with information I have found, and I encourage others to go hunting and do the same while not criticizing or denouncing the efforts of myself and others. After all, the possibilities are endless if this became a reality, and it is no skin off my nose to post a few hyperlinks. Please be constructive.

Professional communication with individuals who were central to the Freelancer development process should be approached gradually, not incessantly. These people don't want to be spammed.

I will use this post to store further findings and information. To restate and summarize, suggestions and additional research are welcome, desired, and profusely encouraged.

-----------------------
Background

Microsoft Game Studios acquired Digital Anvil in Winter of 2000. The talks involved the transferring of the rights to Freelancer and another Xbox game to Microsoft, while "key shareholders" would retain the rights to "publishing, intellectual property, and code rights to Loose Cannon and Conquest: Frontier Wars" (1).

Resources and further reading

* (#) indicates hot material *

(1) GameSpot Interview: Chris Roberts
Lots of useful information here, a must-read.
(2) Release the Freelancer Source Code petition
Marginal efforts by disorganized community members. Of little to no practical use, from what I can see.
(3) Ed Fries - Wikipedia
Chris Roberts briefly mentions Ed Fries in the GameSpot interview, suggesting some form of clout or at least a connection to the Freelancer rights. No longer has employment connection to MGS... could have viable information.
(4) Phil Wattenbarger - LinkedIn
As stated by Chris Roberts in the GameSpot interview, Phil Wattenbarger was his co-director for the project with whom he collaborated before and after the MGS acquisition.
(5) Freelancer Interview - PC Feature at IGN (Wattenbarger)
A nice interview with the seemingly open and easy-going co-director Phil Wattenbarger
(6) Paul Isaac's resume
Resume of self-described "avid gamer" and head FL programmer Paul Isaac with professional references from Phil Wattenbarger and a Microsoft producer. "More references available upon request." Skilled programmer. Plenty of contact detail if this is a viable person to contact.

Timeline

August 9, 2010
initial post made
August 10, 2010
communication sent to three members of the original FL team

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Bobthemanofsteel - 08-09-2010

Oh look, this thread again!

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Disparagess - 08-09-2010

' Wrote:Oh look, this thread again!

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Grumblesaur - 08-09-2010

[Image: Bored-Baby-1284.jpg]

Self-referential picture intended.

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Kazinsal - 08-09-2010

[Image: funny-pictures-catnip-cat-likes-colours.jpg]

Pic totally unrelated.

This thread comes up too often. We don't have access to the source and will likely never have access to the source. I'd be surprised if they still have it down in Redmond.

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Ingenious - 08-09-2010

Honestly if you have nothing better to do than post a +1, hijack someone's message dump, i'm actually trying to accomplish a task here

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Turkish - 08-09-2010

' Wrote:Honestly if you have nothing better to do than post a +1, hijack someone's message dump, i'm actually trying to accomplish a task here

I'm going to have to agree with this. Even if we have seen this a thousand times or more it's still a valid discussion topic. Granted, it comes with the dead horse packaging, but who cares. This is the most cohesive and well thought out thread yet.

Give it a shot kids.

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - tyro - 08-09-2010

I tell you the possible way to obtaining Freelancer source code:

You have to organize a team, set up a game design studio, find financing source - sponsors, make a good game to prove your ability, make a business plan to prove success of your project.

After that ask Microsoft for licence for Freelancer code and technology for making Freelancer 2.
If they will believe in it, you will get the code and maybe a money needed to accomplish this dream.

This is business and everyone knows, Microsoft does nothing without profit, regardless of how many people will cry.

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Mao - 08-09-2010

Put the ninjas steal it!

The campaign for Freelancer's source code - Kazinsal - 08-09-2010

If you want to shell out thousands and thousands of dollars to acquire the FL source code, go ahead. We're not paying for it, as we don't get paid to do what we do.

Microsoft's not going to give us the FL source code for free. Fact of business.