Discovery Gaming Community
Magnetic Grapplers - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Magnetic Grapplers (/showthread.php?tid=45533)

Pages: 1 2 3

Magnetic Grapplers - Shush Muppet - 08-22-2010

So, I've been mulling this idea over for awhile now, and I think it's time to see what the community thinks.

Basically, I envision a weapon that can be mounted on a CD/T slot that serves only one purpose. Holding a target stationary.

This would be used for catching and holding ships to keep them from quickdocking. Basically like a tractor beam, and probably employing the tractor beam effects. It would have a max range of 100m, and use up all of a ship's energy to fire it, as well as triggering cruise-drain affects. Both the targeted ship and the player ship would be immobile, and the weapons on the player ship would be useless while the grappler was engaged.

Releasing the grappler would require the player to click the fire key for the CD/T slot again.

So what'dya think?

Magnetic Grapplers - Gareikn - 08-22-2010

Personally while the concept is nice this would be rather overpowered because the ship that is being 'grappeled' is now completely disable indefinitely at the whim of the 'grappler' I shudder to imagine this being used on a battleship to just disable the whole thing while it gets shot at. I don't imagine it to be easy if possible to code either but that's just speculation, I'm not a coder.

Magnetic Grapplers - Blaze - 08-22-2010

Not a weapon I like.. I think thats Something impossible code... Even If its possible.. It will be heavily abused..

Magnetic Grapplers - Evan_ - 08-22-2010

I'd like that. If using it would disable ALL weapons. Like in a radius of 3K. And with a time limit of like... a minute. Make it an ammo of 1. Still abusable?

"Did you shoot without a word?" *engages grapple* "So, what were you thinking?"

Magnetic Grapplers - SeaFalcon - 08-22-2010

Remembers me of tachyon the fringe... again.

There was some sort of beam weapon where you could grab your opponent and slow him down while fire burst with your remaining energy.

But having such a weapon in Freelancer would be quite scary. It should be made that it can only fire forward and only within 300m range and slow it's target down to lets say 60ms and won't be able to cruise and of course it has to suck loads of energy.

But as Blaze said it would probably hard to code maybe even impossible.
But maybe it could be a gun working with FLhook to be able to work.

Magnetic Grapplers - jxie93 - 08-22-2010

If you decide to create a weapon like this, one way of balancing it is to make it consume an ungodly amount of energy so a player can only keep it firing for no longer than a few seconds and considerably less if he/she wants to use other weapons at the same time.

In my opinion, an actual EMP emitter would be much better, disabling all ships (including your own) weapons, shields and engines for a limited time. It can be used as a suicide/tactical maneuvre.

Magnetic Grapplers - kramer - 08-22-2010

Won't work and that do not fit into FL anyway .

Magnetic Grapplers - Guest - 08-22-2010

Quote:In my opinion, an actual EMP emitter would be much better, disabling all ships (including your own) weapons, shields and engines for a limited time. It can be used as a suicide/tactical maneuvre.

This would be a better suited idea and more plausible in terms of the ingame mechanics I believe.

' Wrote:Won't work and that do not fit into FL anyway .

Why doesn't it fit into FL?

Magnetic Grapplers - kramer - 08-22-2010

FL has it's own universe and the mod already overstepped the boundaries of the game mechanisms - as you already said.

But even that EMP emitter idea needs an external program which modifies FL and i doubt it is doable.

Magnetic Grapplers - Guest - 08-22-2010

' Wrote:But even that EMP emitter idea needs an external program which modifies FL and i doubt it is doable.

It's actually possible. Cannon and another of the development team (can't remember exactly who) said that it was entirely doable. However nothing ever came of it.