Discovery Gaming Community
An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Role-Playing (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Forum: Communication Channel (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+--- Thread: An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty (/showthread.php?tid=47014)

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Rodent - 09-16-2010

Senator Victor Thompson looked at his aged hands with a sense of foreboding. He always had that when he was about to push something, and he was about to push something now. He was seated in his Hovercar, provided by the Government of Liberty. The seat was comfortable, the wine good, but he could not pay attention to these things.

Politics had always been a predatory business, and each move, each step was a walk on a tight-rope, especially in the higher circles. As a member of the ruling party, he felt uncomfortable in pushing an issue that would definitely feed the opposition a lot of fodder, but he felt it had to be done. Liberty stood for something, and the fiasco which was going on had to be monitored by Liberty, for the benefit of all. He looked as his hands again as the HoverCar stopped outside the Senate Building. It was pristine white, and quite fittingly huge to fit the morass that was Liberty's Bureaucracy.

He stepped out slowly, giving instructions to the driver to wait a long while, then with a quick turn and a couple of strides, he was inside the building. He checked his watch, he was exactly on time.

They will be waiting for me, most know what I am going to say, but they want me to say it so I can take the blame....Very well.

It didn't take long for him to arrive into the cavernous hall that housed Liberty's law making body, The Senate. He took his appointed seat, and waited. Soon all that were going to come had settled down, and the Speaker called for the first issue.....It was time.

He stood up, briefly adjusted his tie, and began to speak.

Fellow Senators, Colleagues, friends. He began. A slow mumble began to grow across the hall.

Long has Liberty stood for all the values of free living and freedom, and for human rights. We have fought many wars, with guns and with words, to ensure that everyone gets this right. Are we to forget about our responsibility now?

He had not been given a large amount of time to dawdle around, so the speech had been prepared to get to the point quickly.

I believe we have all heard of the recent...incidents occuring in the fringe system of Omega 3. I understand it is rather far afield from Liberty, and here is a brief Synopsis of the matter. The Bretonian Government has imposed a ban on Zoner vessels and is staking a claim on Omega 3. Now that is well and fine, and none of our business, what follows now....Is.

People were paying attention now, their eyes guarded and predatorial.

A lot of different entitities have stepped into this matter, and it has become a rightful fiasco. I believe certain people will know more about it than I do, but it has been a mess, Civilians are losing their lives, War is being fought when no war is needed.....

We have fought for the freedom of the Independent worlds of Bering and Hudson, will we not fight for this? Liberty must intervene and act as a mediator so that all related parties can resolve this without any further bloodshed! We must ensure that no more un-necessary lives are lost and this issue is dealt with once and for all! Will we not do it? Can we not?Think about it!

His voice had been steadily rising in volume as he neared the end of his speech, and when he finally ended, and sat down, the hall was a cacophony of noise, and they could not be silenced just yet, it would take a while.

Victor Thompson smiled inwardly, it had been a sort of a sentimental move, but he had done it, now he must face the consequences.

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Enojado - 09-16-2010

Senator Willy Johnson was stood up straight and silent as the room around him was filled with mumbling. All his muscles were tense and his heartbeat was throbbing through his head.

He slowly but soundly began to speak.

Senator Thompson... I think you need a little reminder of who the zoners are...

They refused to abide house law and for that reason they chose to live in the edge worlds and fend for themselves.

Now they decided to eat more then they could stomach... who are we to step in? If you cared for our glorious alliance with Bretonia a little more then you would know that we should back them up. I can tell you that these rag tag individualists were the first ones to make a move in this conflict.

Now my most pressing concern with your loosely founded charity pitch is the following. How can a respected member of the Senate consider this a pressing matter when as we speak we are at full scale war, pirates still roam our trade routes and terrorists lurk.

I think it is evident there is more to it than a simple loose bolt in Senator Thompsons head... He must indeed have been bribed by the zoners. For years they have funded themselves with shady dealings in the edge worlds. As Admiral Hale, god bless the Navy, so sharply pointed out they have clearly been selling weaponry to dangerous criminals. Now we can see first hand how these riches are put to use.

I call for a vote to have Senator Thompson expelled from this honourable senate, clearly he does not have his mind on the right matters. Nor is his purse filled with the right kind of money.

The room was filled with yelling shouting and a dog barking.

Senator Johnson sat down.

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Jihadjoe - 09-16-2010

The senate hall slowly quietened down as senator Edgar William rose to his feet. He coughed politely.

"It seems Senator Thompson has overlooked several things. Liberty's virtues of 'freedom and free living' as my esteemed colleage would put it, are under threat from the Zoners' actions. Albeit indirectly."

He paused for a second looking around the hall.

"The Zoners are known to supply terrorists and pirates with weaponry and shelter many people who are wanted by the Republic of Liberty on their facilities in the Omicrons. We also suspect the Zoners facilitate the cardamine trade through the barrier pass.

We are aware of numerous pirates using Zoner manufactured weaponary on gunboat class ships. This can be verified by the high command of the Liberty Navy."

A wave of noise passed over the senate hall. He attempted to quiet his audience with a gesture and raised his voice over the sound.

"The situation in Omega three is regretable. Loss of life always is, and the Republic of Liberty should and does send it's deepest condolences to the families of those who's lives have been lost. However, given the zoners' non-neutral behaviour towards those who uphold the law in our great house we cannot get involved in this situation. Not only is it occuring in territory which is not in any way under our juresdiction, but the danger zoner manufactured weaponary poses to Libertonian commerse and our brave servicemen means we should under no circumstances offer our diplomatic aid to the Zoners in Omega three until they cease to supply our domestic criminals with weaponry, equipment and sanctuary.

Our values are under threat as a result of the Zoners' actions in Liberty."

Williamson sat back down again and listened to the eruption of loud conversation around the hall. He smiled.

'Not bad for an ad-lib' he thought to himself.

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Akura - 09-16-2010

[Image: Senator2.png]

Senator Gai slammed his fist down, rage sweeping across his face.

"We should invade the Freeports! Our forces spread across each would result in a quick and decisive victory, the Zoners wouldn't see it coming!"

The senate hall fell quiet, forgetting as usual that Senator Gai even existed.
He awkwardly shifted in his seat, rubbing his throbbing hand and frowning at the attention turned to him.

"Because... we're like... a powerful house. And the Zoners are petty, conspiring worms... How much better would our chances of winning the war with those Sausage-eating krauts if we could attack from Omega-3, we'd hit them on two fronts!"

There was an awkward cough, as every single capitalist in the room blinked and threw each other strange looks.

"We'll also control the Zoner economy, that enough for you disgusting Capitalists?"

Again, no one spoke. Senator Gai scowled, violently planning the assassinations of every man in the room.

"Okay, fine! Nevermind.."

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Petitioner - 09-16-2010

Senator Bill Frederickson stood up after a few moments of awkward silence, moments which occurred any time after Senator Gai spoke.

"Well, gentlemen, I think that we oughtn't get involved in this scenario. It's awkward, and even though I agree the Zoners have been little other than a nuisance for us in the past, worsening Liberty's already tense relations with them, especially while both us and they are in the middle of our respective wars, is a bad move. We're overexerting our resources as it is, constantly defending against Rheinland attacks and patrolling our borders and our core systems, to protect civilians from ruthless space-pirates - if we involve ourselves in another conflict, the potentiality that we'd have to request the Navy, God bless those men, to intervene down there. It's simply a waste of time and does not affect us."

Bill coughed - he was about to drive his point home, or so he thought.

"Besides, we need not worry about remaining in Bretonia's good graces. They'd not dare challenge us on anything at the moment, what with their war against Kusari and all."

With that, he stopped contributing to the current state of general disorder in the assembly and resigned himself to his seat, to listen as his compatriots undoubtedly ignored his wise suggestions, as they always did.

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - OsoRojo - 09-16-2010

Senator Anthony Ramirez, of the Great System of Texas, moves to the podium...

"My esteemed brethren of the Senate, I must express deep reservations toward this talk of intervening, in any form, into our Bretonian cousin's problems unless, of course, they wish our help. At this very moment, my lovely Texas is being attacked by those sourkraut eating facists. Our great house must focus on our immediate problems and allow those who wish independence from our society to reap what they sow. I shall support any, and all, endeavors to help our brethren in Bretonia, upon request, but Zoners must abide by their historical decision of neutrality, which can be a two-edge sword.

So, overall, I will oppose any endeavor that will siphon off resources from our immediate priority, namely, defeating those Frakking Krauts!

My brethren of the Senate, may the Void bless you, Liberty, and Texas."

(Why the frak are we even discussing this piffle? We have no interest in the Omegas...What game is this?)

An Appeal to The Senate of Liberty - Rodent - 09-17-2010

Victor Thompson finally had a chance to speak again, and he actually had a small smirk on his face.

Senator Thompson has got it entirely wrong, maybe my esteemed colleague should pay more attention this time.....When did I ever say we should be intervening on behalf of the Zoners? I fail to find any such reference in my speech, so that is a moot point. I have merely made a plea to stop un-required bloodshed.

I entirely agree with Senator Williams, but he too has assumed intervention means intervening on the behalf of the zoners. Again, I ask you when did I ever imply that intervention if any should help the Zoners, and not our Bretonian brethren?

Now look here, I never agreed with un-needed loss of life, anywhere and anyplace, so I ask that Liberty should intervene on behalf of Bretonia, and show solidarity with their claim over Omega 3. Reasons can be found. One being our extremely good relations with Bretonia, which will only improve.

Secondly, Rhienland is next-door in Omega 7, if this mess goes on for a little while longer, it's a far fetched possibility, but it is possible that Rhienland will start to assert itself in Omega 7 and we don't want that, do we?

He sits down.