Discovery Gaming Community
Let me play! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: Let me play! (/showthread.php?tid=4785)

Pages: 1 2

Let me play! - Zepphos - 12-03-2007

Okay, this is a plea to all those that might know something on the subject. And let me start by saying I'm only going off what I'm told and I don't necessarily understand all/any of it.

During the week and most weekends I'm at University, and as you'd expect I'm on their network which is firewalled every which-way possible. This ends up with nearly all the UDP ports blocked, one of which (I'm told) freelancer uses. I've been searching forever to find a way to change the port that freelancer uses, since I have absolutely no access to the router/firewall to change any ports to open. I have read that you need port 56 open, however, to use the internet.

Would freelancer then work if the port was changed to 56?

If so, how could I do that?

Does any of the above make sense?

I just played freelancer a lot at the weekend just passed and it's driving me insane not being able to play it here! INSANE!!!!!!

Any help is appreciated!

Let me play! - mwerte - 12-03-2007

I would suggest contacting your network support. Every network is set up differently so they would know best how to get FL through the FW. I'm also at a Uni and the only problem I've had is from my personal firewall. I will look for other ways for you though.

Let me play! - Zepphos - 12-03-2007

I've already contacted the net support and they seem very reluctant/not bothered to do anything about it. They take the stance that "it's the same for everyone else so quit whining". Cheers for looking in to it though.

Let me play! - McNeo - 12-04-2007

Quote from Microsoft website about Freelancer:

Quote:Port listing

To make sure that these ports are open or to open these ports, contact your network administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). If you are the administrator of the network, view the documentation that is provided with your networking software to determine how to open these ports. Freelancer Server requires that the following ports be open to host multiplayer games:

2302-2304 UDP
Freelancer requires that the following ports be open to play a multiplayer game:

2300-2400 UDP

Hope it helps! And see them in person, if you can... makes it a bit more persuasive, if you know what I mean.

Let me play! - majkp - 12-04-2007

ummm, so should we try Hamachi again? Hope Korrd's not looking...:-D

It's better to explain you need to open ports for connecting to a private network than to a game server I guess...

But last time we tested it with Dboy and McNeo, the pings were quite high, because the connection was relayed through some 3rd party server. It was enough for trading though...

Let me play! - DBoy1612 - 12-04-2007

' Wrote:But last time we tested it with Dboy and McNeo, the pings were quite high, because the connection was relayed through some 3rd party server. It was enough for trading though...

Actually, only McNeo's ping was high because his school network is absolutely worthless:P. My ping was where it normally is (between 120 to 150). So there shouldn't really be any big lag problems if ya try Hamachi again.:)

Let me play! - Zepphos - 12-05-2007

I think Majkp is right, I've tried hosting a LAN CSS server for me and a guy in my hall and our pings were >450 for both of us.

Hamachi would allow me to connect to the server, but if it's a big enough security risk for Korrd to delete it then I don't think it's worth it. I want to play but I wouldn't endanger the server and possibly ruin it for everone else. I am selfish but that's a little too far.:D

What I could do with is a way to change the ports that Freelancer uses to one of the UDP ports that -needs- to be open.

Let me play! - McNeo - 12-05-2007

If that is possible, I dont know how, but you should put it through the port that allows web browsing (its, like port 90 or something).

As I said, I don't know if its possible as I don't know if you can crossover between ports. But it sounds plausible...

Let me play! - bluntpencil2001 - 12-05-2007

I think I've found the file you need to alter to get in.

In the EXE folder in your Freelancer directory, there is a Notepad file called 'Freelancer'.

Under the [ListServer] heading, there is a an option that can be modded. It says

'Port=2300'.

Now, you could change this, I guess... but it may count as modding when attempting to connect to the server.

I think I'm doing well for someone that doesn't know anything about computers....:D

Let me play! - DBoy1612 - 12-05-2007

Tried your idea, Blunt. Ran a Packet Sniffer on it, no luck. Freelancer continued to use port 2303 and 2352.:(
I think the thing you found is only to connect to the Global server, not the FL Server itself.