Discovery Gaming Community
The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) (/showthread.php?tid=49378)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - [Cerberus] Illusive Man - 11-03-2010

What's a Machinima?
Read the quote below to understand the basical idea on what is a Machinima.

[Image: Machinima_Icon-a.png]

Wikipedia Wrote:Machinima (pronounced /məˈʃiːnɨmə/ or /məˈʃɪnɨmə/) is the use of real-time graphics rendering engines (a game engine), mostly three-dimensional (3-D), to generate computer animation. The term also refers to works that incorporate this animation technique. Some machinima-based artists, sometimes called machinimists or machinimators, are fan laborers and often use graphics engines from video games, a practice that arose from the animated software introductions of the 1980s demoscene, Disney Interactive Studios' 1992 video game Stunt Island, and 1990s recordings of gameplay in first-person shooter (FPS) video games, such as id Software's Doom and Quake. Originally, these recordings documented speedruns'€”attempts to complete a level as quickly as possible'€”and multiplayer matches. The addition of storylines to these films created "Quake movies". The more general term machinima, a misspelled portmanteau of machine cinema, arose when the concept spread beyond the Quake series to other games and software. After this generalization, machinima appeared in mainstream media, including television series and advertisements.

Machinima has advantages and disadvantages when compared to other styles of filmmaking. Its relative simplicity over traditional frame-based animation limits control and range of expression. Its real-time nature favors speed, cost saving, and flexibility over the higher quality of pre-rendered computer animation. Virtual acting is less expensive, dangerous, and physically restricted than live action. Machinima can be filmed by relying on in-game artificial intelligence (AI) or by controlling characters and cameras through digital puppetry. Scenes can be precisely scripted, and can be manipulated during post-production using video editing techniques. Editing, custom software, and creative cinematography may address technical limitations. Game companies have provided software for and have encouraged machinima, but the widespread use of digital assets from copyrighted games has resulted in complex, unresolved legal issues.

Machinima productions can remain close to their gaming roots and feature stunts or other portrayals of gameplay. Popular genres include dance videos, comedy, and drama. Alternatively, some filmmakers attempt to stretch the boundaries of the rendering engines or to mask the original 3-D context. The Academy of Machinima Arts & Sciences (AMAS), a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting machinima, recognizes exemplary productions through Mackie awards given at its annual Machinima Film Festival. Some general film festivals accept machinima, and game companies, such as Epic Games, Blizzard Entertainment and Jagex, have sponsored contests involving it.

What Engine are we going to use?

We will use the [color=#FF0000]Gamebryo platform to create our Machinima, alongside with the G.E.C.K (Garden of Eden Creation Kit), we will make scripted events and NPCs to perform as actors in this Machinima.

What's Gamebryo?

Wikipedia Wrote:Gamebryo is a game engine, originally from Numerical Design Limited (NDL), and the successor to NDL's NetImmerse engine.

Since the creation of Gamebryo, NDL merged with Emergent Game Technologies. The new company is known as "Emergent Game Technologies" (EGT). Gamebryo then evolved to Gamebryo LightSpeed and these are the two products of Emergent Game Technologies.

During 2009 the development staff of Gamebryo dropped by more than half, and by July 2010 the engineering office in Chapel Hill, North Carolina was closed with several developers announcing their departure.

What do we have in mind?

The idea is to create a movie based in the Mojave Wasteland. in which the players will create their characters, with a small story behind them, then make a game-save. Send it over to me, or Akura, and we will upload them under the form of NPCs in our Machinima.

After making some special scripts for the Machinima, we will FRAPS it. Then edit it in Sony Vegas Premium 9.

The thing is: We need voice actors.
These voice actors will need to follow a scenario written by someone in our team, then voice it. Register it and send it over. You will then see your own name at the end of each video with the due credits.

What's our current team?

We are currently 12 people willing to work on this.

Jack Aubrey (Me) - Game/Engine Editor and Director
Akura - Story Developer, Game Editor
Soban - C++ / C+ Programmer
Ryummel - Game Editor
Death Running Verminator - Story Developer
R3venge - Art Work Developer/Story Support
Jetblack357 - Voice Actor/Art Work Developer
Spazzydragon - Voice Actor/Video Editor/Audio Editor
ExLibrisMortis - Voice Actor/Audio Editor
Dave.Synk - Voice Actor
Bear - Voice Actor
Mexter7 - Voice Actor

We are currenty looking for:

- An unknown number of voice actors, the much the better.
- A person with good Photoshop skills.
- A person with good Movie editing skills.
- People who own Fallout New Vegas and want to see their character/s in a Machinima.
- People with some (even low) skill in using the G.E.C.K
- People with Machinima experience.
- People with ideas.

[color=#FFFFFF]Example of a Machinima:

The DC Chronicles (Fallout 3), made by Drakortha - Fallout 3 - The DC Chronicles - Season 1 Episode 1

We are still lacking a story for the movie, but the idea here is to make a movie.
Quote:Want to join us?

Use this application form:

Name:
Skype ID:
Skills:

What do you want to do:

Feel free to post below, you can post ideas about the movie, ask questions and submit your application.

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - Death.RunningVerminator - 11-03-2010

I'll give it a whirl. I'm good with this kinda thing, idea wise.

But uh.. I don't have the game for PC...

D:

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - [Cerberus] Illusive Man - 11-03-2010

Welcome on the boat, fill that form and then I'll open the hatch.

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - Death.RunningVerminator - 11-03-2010

Fill a form?

Dude.

>.>

<.<

* The quartermaster of the boat kicks DRV off the ship *

Quartermaster: Fill that form if you want to join us. (smoke)

Name: Watzittoya
Skype ID: Deathrunnerrulz
Skills: Epicness

What do you want to do: Help any way i can. Mainly Ideas/Story.. 'cause i haven't tried downloading the game.. which i may very well do, but, it'll prob be crappy.

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - Soban - 11-03-2010

Welcome to the team DRV

You're accepted

The Fallout: New Vegas Machinima (Game Movie) - Ryummel - 11-03-2010

Name: <- Oh, who's posting?
Skills: GECK (I started three days ago, I placed a cabinet in the middle of the desert, so I guess I'm making progress...).

What do you want to do: Anything related to GECK, contributing with ideas, etc.

Welcome to the team Ryummel

You're accepted

We will start the "recordings" soon, stay tuned.

Giving this thread a little bump.