Discovery Gaming Community
Roundabout question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Roundabout question (/showthread.php?tid=49678)

Pages: 1 2 3

Roundabout question - Agmen of Eladesor - 11-09-2010

We have some roundabouts here in the U.S., but they're mostly prevalent in neighborhoods or on smaller streets.

They are apparently thinking of installing a roundabout at the intersection near here when they finish building a new highway such that you would have two heavily traveled four lane highways intersect with a roundabout. Since that's something I know you folks on the east side of the pond (and down on the bottom of the planet:)) have more experience with, I'd like your input on how well they actually work, and if you think a conventional traffic signal would be better (or worse).

Roundabout question - Laowai - 11-09-2010

They work fine.
The only impediment is idiots who cant learn how they work. Which is wierd cos they are easy.

Roundabout question - n00bl3t - 11-09-2010

Based on my analysis of a basic US citizen's psychology, I do no think they will work too well.:P

For heavy traffic, roundabouts lead to accidents usually, where traffic signals work more effectively. The downside is cost.

As for Laowai, it is not stupidity but lack of patience or ego. People are unwilling to wait. Unwilling to compromise. Giving way to another driver when they can risk going faster around a turn. And so on.

Roundabout question - kramer - 11-09-2010

Statistics in Germany say it's safer with roundabouts.
But i agree with Laowai, there are a lot of idiots who don't learn it.

Roundabout question - Jihadjoe - 11-09-2010

Safe and easy to drive. They're a decidedly good thing.

Roundabout question - Zapp - 11-09-2010

Huh, and here I thought the point of roundabouts was to screw over drunk drivers who were speeding in neighborhoods...

Roundabout question - Stoat - 11-09-2010

Roundabouts are great, unless you are trying to navigate the aptly named "magic roundabouts" in Swindon or Hemel Heampstead

Read this

' Wrote:Huh, and here I thought the point of roundabouts was to screw over drunk drivers who were speeding in neighborhoods...

Nah, that's sleeping policemen.

Roundabout question - Jihadjoe - 11-09-2010

' Wrote:Swindon

Driving in Swindon. *vomits*

I love the "No U turns" sign you see, shortly after the sign showing this...

[Image: magic-sign1.jpg]

Roundabout question - Stoat - 11-09-2010

' Wrote:Doing anything in Swindon. *vomits*

There you go, fixed that for you Joe.

Roundabout question - Agmen of Eladesor - 11-09-2010

Yeah - they're talking about how it will probably reduce the number of T-bone accidents from someone running the light, but that glancing blow accidents will be higher.

I looked at that article from Swindon and just shuddered.