Discovery Gaming Community
A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] (/showthread.php?tid=5189)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Daxter - 12-28-2007

Greetings Discovery,

Currently myself as well as a group I play with are bit distressed and concerned...
Actually I should well passed annoyed and displeased.

We are looking to start a faction.
We've gotten over the fact that our leader needs to be level 50 or higher and that we have to participate on Discovery for, what was it, 5 months?We still find that last part stupid, but we're over that.

Our attention has turned to this new annoyance.
One clan per faction?
Yeah okay that makes sense
You know, because NOBODY likes the same faction as somebody else
Forgive me for being rash and possibly not understanding, but
WTF?
Why is it like that?
People may like the same faction, but they don't like it for the same reason.
Not everybody has the same goals.
If thats the assumption the rule was made on, please kill me now.

Sure, if cuts down on the creation of mock or inactive clans, But you take care of those as they come.
Right now the setup is dumb.
My friends and I wanted to start up a Lane Hackers clan, we were told to join one that
1. Wasn't official
and
2. Had VERY different goals from what ours were.

We now want to start up and Order Clan, but we denied and told to join an already existing Order Clan.
NO.
We are not followers of somebody else's ideals.
We have our own and we want to be recognized as those who do.
We can RP our roles easily, we can follow Discovery rules just as everyone else can.
We don't need to be placed under somebody else just to show we can go on our own.

Discovery is one of the most, if not THE MOST, active FL servers up and about still.
Please stop herding everyone who says they like a certain faction into a pin and let this server EXPAND.

Nothing bad can come out of this change, and it can easily ramp up RP.

Like I said Discovery is one of the last populated servers on FL, why contain it like this?

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - bluntpencil2001 - 12-28-2007

Hit search.

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Ichtan - 12-28-2007

Wait, what?

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Razr - 12-28-2007

Let's see.... I'll address as many of your questions as I can (Not in any particular order.) First of all, no idea about the level rule, most of my characters hit rank 49-48 quite often, it's not really too important. When I started leading the SA I had been around maybe 3 and a half months maybe even four. It's more about solid RP, if you have a good idea and post in the factions thread and take some criticism might be well liked and accepted.

As for this part, you'll love it, at one point I was in.... 9 factions, the rule is supposed to mean the same "Character" Not the Player behind it. Also, no one is opposed to new factions completely, but look at faction status, it's fine to not want to join the only Navy faction around, but some 4 player factions all exist for the exact same NPC, and some with not very good RP.

The main concern is a new player's first post being a post for a faction, whom may or may not know how to RP properly, then they end up flamed and upset and say we never tried to help. Well it may sound bossy, pushy, and elitist, but joining existing factions really helps.

As helpful and insightful as those posts were...
moving on.

' Wrote:Let's see.... I'll address as many of your questions as I can (Not in any particular order.) First of all, no idea about the level rule, most of my characters hit rank 49-48 quite often, it's not really too important. When I started leading the SA I had been around maybe 3 and a half months maybe even four. It's more about solid RP, if you have a good idea and post in the factions thread and take some criticism might be well liked and accepted.

As for this part, you'll love it, at one point I was in.... 9 factions, the rule is supposed to mean the same "Character" Not the Player behind it. Also, no one is opposed to new factions completely, but look at faction status, it's fine to not want to join the only Navy faction around, but some 4 player factions all exist for the exact same NPC, and some with not very good RP.

The main concern is a new player's first post being a post for a faction, whom may or may not know how to RP properly, then they end up flamed and upset and say we never tried to help. Well it may sound bossy, pushy, and elitist, but joining existing factions really helps.
I don't think you're understanding me.

Why only one offical CLAN per faction?
Like why is LSF the only offical LSF clan. That doesn't make sense.
Im sure there are those who want to be official with a faction that already has a clan and are denied because of that.
Thats the part we find stupid.
Why join a clan you think differently from?
That IS bossy, pushy and elitist and its starting to look like that the basis of this server.
I thought RP and FL we about fun not flexing the "I've been here longer" muscle.

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - bluntpencil2001 - 12-28-2007

' Wrote:I don't think you're understanding me.

Im sure there are those who want to be official with a faction that already has a clan and are denied because of that.
That IS bossy, pushy and elitist and its starting to look like that the basis of this server.
I thought RP and FL we about fun not flexing the "I've been here longer" muscle.

It's elitist but necessary. Unfortunately, thanks to some irresponsible people, you have to earn the right to create a faction. So, basically, you'll have to get impressing folks.

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Razr - 12-28-2007

' Wrote:I don't think you're understanding me.

Not one "official" faction, but the first faction if they bought the guard system will pretty much be the owners of the ZOI, not like they have total control over you, but you'll have to try to co-exist, technically the SA has a bit of jurisdiction over the LSF, but we work pretty well together, get along, and have fun. I can tell you right now, if you made an order faction, you'd be okay if you RP'd well and didn't do anything too extreme, otherwise Black Squadron would get annoyed, and you'd probably see Admiral Dboy put up a "Civil War" banner. I can see you're upset and I can understand why, come to me in PMs before this turns into a flame fest we can talk there.

A thorn in our side [Can we pull it out?] - Jinx - 12-28-2007

is there such a rule? ( sorry, never read the faction creation stuff, cause i don t care for them ) ... but there are pretty many clans that share a faction.

i think at least 2 outcast factions, 2 zoner factions, 2 bretonian army factions, 3 corsair factions etc.

if there is such a rule - or maybe an advice ... it is there so that you don t get sort of ... identical clans ( means: you can have one LSF faction - but if you d have another one, it should be different to the other LSF - otherwise there is no point in having 2 )

then there is the problem with authorities. we often have one primary clan that is setting rules - ( like dictating whats contraband in addition to the common stuff, and make territory rules ) if there are 2 clans with the ambition to be official, there might be a problem ( and lots of drama ) about whats right and whats wrong - it can confuse the casual player if there are two clans for one faction / zone of influence, both claiming different stuff.

of course, it can all work out fine - so i guess it depends very much on whats the suggested clan is about. ( and what / how much it adds to the roleplay of a faction )

did i mention that i am happy that i never bothered making a faction?:laugh:

' Wrote:is there such a rule? ( sorry, never read the faction creation stuff, cause i don t care for them ) ... but there are pretty many clans that share a faction.

i think at least 2 outcast factions, 2 zoner factions, 2 bretonian army factions, 3 corsair factions etc.

if there is such a rule - or maybe an advice ... it is there so that you don t get sort of ... identical clans ( means: you can have one LSF faction - but if you d have another one, it should be different to the other LSF - otherwise there is no point in having 2 )

then there is the problem with authorities. we often have one primary clan that is setting rules - ( like dictating whats contraband in addition to the common stuff, and make territory rules ) if there are 2 clans with the ambition to be official, there might be a problem ( and lots of drama ) about whats right and whats wrong - it can confuse the casual player if there are two clans for one faction / zone of influence, both claiming different stuff.
This is fine, you use all of this for RP purposes.
Hell, I can work out a great situation for that second paragraph right now.

I understand your first point and thats where this rule makes sense.
If you have the same goals and ideals, but just want to stick out, thats dumb. Join the existing clan and stop acting like an attention craving preteen.
What I'm saying is for clans that don't have the same ideals.

But from what you're saying I may be misunderstanding and in thus this topic is void.