Discovery Gaming Community
A Linux question and a Windows question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: A Linux question and a Windows question (/showthread.php?tid=52168)

Pages: 1 2

A Linux question and a Windows question - Death.RunningVerminator - 12-27-2010

I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux. As in.. I just installed Linux on a different comp yesterday.

[12:05:53 PM] DRV: So uh. I tried Linux on a different computer, and the only problem i found was that when i download an exe and click on it, it opens up it's files and stuff
[12:06:00 PM] DRV: it doesn't actually run the exe
[12:06:06 PM] DRV: Any suggestions?

Windows question:

[12:11:36 PM] DRV: When i click "view available networks" there are no networks to view. it's just blank. And windows doesn't even acknowledge that the adapter is there.

Thanks!

:)

A Linux question and a Windows question - Bobthemanofsteel - 12-27-2010

' Wrote:I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux.
Seems kinda dumb to install it then, eh?

Linux

Windows, try disabling then reenabling the network adapter.
Assuming you've actually got it connected to a network.

' Wrote:Seems kinda dumb to install it then, eh?

Linux

Windows, try disabling then reenabling the network adapter.
Assuming you've actually got it connected to a network.
*facepalm* someone should have told me that Linux doesn't run exes before I installed it..

Anywho.

I mean, i can't even see the icons or anything. I go to "my network places" click on, "view available networks" and there's nothing but a blank spot.

Thanks!

:)

P.S. Long time no see Bob.

A Linux question and a Windows question - Dantrithor - 12-27-2010

Do you have the wireless antenna plugged in?

And...

Are you sure there're networks in range?

' Wrote:Do you have the wireless antenna plugged in?

And...

Are you sure there're networks in range?
Yes and yes.

A Linux question and a Windows question - Death.RunningVerminator - 12-28-2010

Bump.

A Linux question and a Windows question - Snoozzzer - 12-28-2010

<strike>Windows</strike> networking is the devil's way of...bringing us closer to death. Right click on My Computer, hit Manage, go to Device manger, and be sure it's..activated, or at least visible from there. Also, reinstall the damned wireless drivers

As for .EXE's in linux, it can be done. You need a set of libraries called Wine. Don't count on it for graphics, but you can run many applications with it, depending on how much luck and patience you have.

What linux distro are you using by the way?

' Wrote:<strike>Windows</strike> networking is the devil's way of...bringing us closer to death. Right click on My Computer, hit Manage, go to Device manger, and be sure it's..activated, or at least visible from there. Also, reinstall the damned wireless drivers

As for .EXE's in linux, it can be done. You need a set of libraries called Wine. Don't count on it for graphics, but you can run many applications with it, depending on how much luck and patience you have.

What linux distro are you using by the way?
Well I've checked the Device Manager and stuff and it shows it's there.. But when i try to uninstall it, it won't let me.

I'm running LinuxMint 10. (not the one that just came out this month).

Tanke!

Bump.

I've given up on the Windows question thingy.

And about Linux.. Ok.. So, I downloaded Wine, but how do i install it?

A Linux question and a Windows question - Cannon - 12-28-2010

Install ubuntu. Apt-get is your friend.