Discovery Gaming Community
Yet another question - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: Yet another question (/showthread.php?tid=5250)

Yet another question - RingoW - 12-31-2007

Recently i had the case been chased by a pirate from NB to Essen station. I was able to flee. On Essen i was hitting the Docking button.
Now many may know, a Heavy Tanker needs time to move in the right positon til the docking sequence starts.
In this time the pirat with a GB was comming closer and starts firing. Nothing to complain. It was amusing, who of us will be faster. He, blowing me or me, docking.
But then he was starting to bump or ram me from downside to disrupt the docking procedure.
This made me angry and i was threatening him with a Rule, that doesn't covering this case. My appologies for.

Now i want to know, if he was right to try to disrupt the docking procedure, by ramming my Tanker with his GB?
Is this covered by the "Intentional Ramming" or "Dock Killing" rule? I know, the last one is for undocking ships in general.
What is the common sense of the community in this case?

Respectful
AoM

Yet another question - DBoy1612 - 12-31-2007

Rule 5.6 Wrote:5.6 Intentional ramming of capital ships (gunboat-class or larger) by fighters and other capital ships is not allowed in PvP combat, as well as in any other situations.

Well, a Tanker is classed as a Transport. A Tanker is bigger (I think) then a gunboat (Yes! That means size. Not gun power, armor, shield, ect). So, I think that pretty much says it all. You shouldn't be ramming anyone in the first place.

Yet another question - Equinox - 12-31-2007

Have to agree with Dboy no one should be rammed either in space or docking.

As far as im concerned as soon as someone your chasing starts to dock (you can tell because there shield goes) you shouldn't be firing on them anymore or ramming or anything.

Yet another question - Jinx - 12-31-2007

but its not dock killing. however - it depends, i guess - there are the two stages of docking. one that you can cancel and one that is cinematic ( but thats not really interesting here, cause you re invulnerable then )

so when you are in a docking sequence ( easy to see for everyone, cause of the flashing red lights ) and he places himself just "in your way" - its not intentional ramming. ( you could just cancel your docking ) ... but if he activly rams into you ( as opposed to "let you fly into him" ) it would be against the rules.

however, - its a bit down to roleplay in the end. it could aswell be considered a smart move. ( its not like he is spinning your around to confuse your aming - but its purpose is to increase the duration of your autopilot docking system )

edit: on clover i like to place my ship right in front of the transports while i pirete them - so they cannot so easily engage cruise. if they did, they d ram into me, resulting in spinning them around ( cause i m the smaller target, it doesn t affect me that much )

Yet another question - Heartless - 12-31-2007

I think dock-killing should include when your in the procces of docking, not just un-docking. Those little red lights give it away.

Yet another question - Axe - 12-31-2007

This is why you should know the quick docking points on all stations. It's easy to dock instantly when you know where they are. Jumpgates are a different matter and require a bit of skill to quick dock with, but that's another matter entirely.

As far as combat goes, if you're docking lights are on you're still fair game. If you're in cinematic then you're safe anyway. Ramming of any fashion should not happen, however. It's against server rules. Ramming is ramming, no matter how it's disguised.

The rules are a little vague on blocking, but blocking with the intention of someone hitting you, therefore disrupting their docking sequence, screams unfair to me. The admins should clear this up so we're not left confused.

Yet another question - Jinx - 12-31-2007

quick docking is stupid - i very much prefer to engage the docking sequence just like its intended to be. ( that just in advance )

about docking sequence. the rule is there ( as far as i believe ) to give both sides an equal chance. it was said in another post that such a rule would not come into effect when you try to dock with a tradelane - which gets disabled ( so your ship is locked in autodock untill the lane is active again or you go freeflight manually )

so when you are in a docking sequence but you see your chances shrink away to make it alive you either : gambled too high ( in case you did not go the sort of ooRP variant of quickdocking ) or you must cancel the sequence and try to escape manually again.

but i do agree with sitting in the docking sequence trying to block it isn t maybe the way to go - on the other hand, its common practice that large ships block mooring fixtures when they want to block a transport from docking - cause players just do not have a way to deny docking rights for a player that has a reputation to allow it.

in AoMs case, i think everything was just allright. no quickdock and gambled to make it to dock ( or to the invulnerable docking sequence )

on a sidenote: ramming someone once they are in the shieldless sequence ( that is - no control over the ship ) is certainly bad, cause it can mess up the sequence resulting in the player that is docking having to F1 out of it.

Yet another question - RingoW - 12-31-2007

Thanks for your responds so far. Except for the "Intentional Ramming" rule, which can be pulled out in this case, it seems there is no exactly rule for, but a common sense. I will direct the certain player to this thread, so he can participate in the common sense.

Just want to add. From his position downside the Tanker he could not see the docking lights in cockpit view, i guess.

Respectful
AoM