Discovery Gaming Community
I may leave Discovery... - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: I may leave Discovery... (/showthread.php?tid=5365)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

I may leave Discovery... - Juan_Arquero - 01-07-2008

A few hours ago I had a really bad experience with 4.84, so I'm thinking of quitting the Discovery mod, at least until 4.85 if the balance issues are fixed then.

First, I'll tell you a little about myself, as it is relevant to why I'm seriously thinking of leaving the mod. I have a very stressful job as a taxi driver. I need an outlet to relieve my stress. Playing Freelancer for a little while gives me that outlet or it did until earlier tonight. As -{BD}-Kirikabu, I flew from Planet New Tokyo to Planet Honshu earlier tonight, but that took me TWO HOURS for the following reasons:
  1. Blood Dragon NPCs disrupted the trade lanes three different times;
  2. The first two dogfights against 3-5 Blood Dragon NPCs took about 45 minutes each;
  3. The third dogfight only lasted 20 minutes, because I retreated after running out of missiles and finishing off one Blood Dragon with my guns.
What I absolutely HATE about 4.84:
  1. Killing mid-level (level 5-10) NPCs now takes forever with a well-equipped X-Shuttle;
  2. Missiles are useless (I killed one Blood Dragon NPC with my missiles, 90% of my missiles didn't hit their targets even at point blank range);
  3. Killing a single mid-level NPC now takes 15-20 minutes with a mid-level ship (X-Shuttle);
  4. At least one-third of the NPCs I fought escaped, because I couldn't kill them when they were weak;
  5. I don't need this level of frustration (I get enough frustration from my job -- I don't need it from Freelancer).
Something else you need to know about me -- most of you have never faced me in PvP, because I usually avoid it like the plague. Why? From early 1993 to late 2005, I was disabled with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, one of the effects of which is that my manual dexterity is pathetic. I'm a lousy shot and I can't help it, because my hands often twitch when holding a mouse. I'm not complaining. That's not the point. I love Freelancer, but I'm experienced enough (I've played thousands of hours of FL since 2004) that vanilla FL bores me. I need the challenge of a good mod and Discovery mod fit that need until 4.84. I don't need to get carpal tunnel syndrome, because I have to spend 15-20 minutes to kill an NPC. That's ridiculous. I want a challenge, not incredible frustration. If future versions of Discovery mod return the NPCs to the AI that I experienced in 4.82 and 4.83, then I'll return. Unfortunately, Discovery 4.84 is unplayable with the reduced manual dexterity that I have. If anybody knows of another mod that might be playable for me, I would appreciate learning of it.

I may leave Discovery... - stewcool - 01-07-2008

First I dont want you to leave. Given I dont think I ever met you in game but I know your very active in the community and thats what is cool about you.

Second I feel your frustration on the balance issue. I should be able to pulverize any type of ship in my Battleship. Yet even with careful aiming I cant take down a Navy Patrol instantly like I use to. A Battleship should be able to swat them like flies!

stewcool: Thank you. The problem I've got is that I can aim carefully, then as I pull the trigger by clicking the mouse, my hand can twitch throwing my aim off. If that happens every third or fourth shot, a dogfight takes two or three times longer, which effectively makes 4.84 unplayable for me. I learned how to use missiles, since I didn't have to aim as carefully with missiles, but now the missiles are useless.:(

I may leave Discovery... - Laowai - 01-07-2008

Thats really sad to hear that you're thinking of leaving,!

but you're right, no one needs frustration in their lives, least of all when they are trying to unwind!

I hear you about the NPC's, they are kinda insane - i wrote a post about this a little while ago... when i get bounced by NPC bounty hunters in Omicron Gamma i kiss the next 25 min goodbye... and i have to kinda laugh at the spectacle of a Hammerhead, with no shields, no weapson, but 4/5 of his hull still intact, despite the fact that ive drained my batteries dry with my LVL 10 codenames shooting up his unprotected hull AND hit him with 4 (FOUR) cannonball missiles (that was today) and yeah.. there is nothing more infuriating then having them run away at the end.....

The missions from Crete are ok if you're in a gunship... but in a Titan its serious work.. the 750,000 missions are deadly.... its little old titan vs something like 15 of the things... uurgghhh

When i get bounced by 8 of them.. i just run....

It's probably a good idea to make the NPC's a little tougher.. but im not sure if they are perhaps just a little too tough at the moment

I may leave Discovery... - Monk - 01-07-2008

Sorry to hear that your leaving....I'd noticed that NPCs are harder and never really understood why except to add difficulty when it could only be mildly appreciated by some players.

Hope 4.85 is more to your liking...see you soon

As {~McE~}-Hamburglar (who has a CSV with class 5 & 8 guns and a class 5 turret, but only class 4 shields), I've had trouble defeating level 2-3 bounty hunters. The level 2 BHG fighters take a minute or two, but I shouldn't have to fight a level 3 BHG fighter for 5-10 minutes with a moderately-equipped CSV.

I'll probably return to the server once a month to keep my characters active. I like this server, but until the balance issues are fixed, I won't be able to effectively play for any length of time. Meanwhile, I may stay active on the forums.:unsure:

I found the Discovery mod by checking which mod was most popular on the global server. Similarly, I've used the replacement for the global server to pick which mod I'll try until 4.85, though I don't know if I should say which it is (I don't want to cause trouble by promoting another mod).

I may leave Discovery... - Virus - 01-07-2008

Yeah, I've got to agree that NPC's are getting rediculously strong everywhere. Hell, killing Starfliers in a Dagger takes 10 minutes. Don't get me started on Patriots.... x.x

Sad to see ya go.

I may leave Discovery... - mjolnir - 01-07-2008

' Wrote:.... as I pull the trigger by clicking the mouse, my hand can twitch throwing my aim off.....

Sorry if this sounds stupid but.... did you try changing the shooting button to a keyboard key?

I may leave Discovery... - Jinx - 01-07-2008

don t think i met you ingame and hadn t had much discussion with you on boards - but maybe you shouldn t give up. give it a break - but don t give up.:)

as for npcs, well, everyone is shouting for teamplay. there is no more relaxing one-man-tasks anymore, they are all aimed at teams of players at least ( or capital ships, but then you must be in a faction or you re looked upon doubiously ) - but those missions are simply not balanceable cause the game doesn t know what you fly. it cannot make a difference from a player flying a gunboat - and a player flying a fighter. - you think that a few fighter npcs are annoying? - even worse when you finally listen to the community and sell your capship for a fighter, take the next mission, fight yourself through 2 waves of titans / centurions - just to face the last wave of enemies...... 4 osiris:crazy:. thats when you think... oh, well, its been nice; hit the cruise and run away while the stupid computer voice calls you a coward haha.

anyway - take it easy - but when you re getting frustrated by it in RL, a little break cannot be wrong - just try it again from now and then. gladly there is more than just npc fights here.

I may leave Discovery... - Laowai - 01-07-2008

Yeah i agree jinx... its hard to find the balance... and the comp cant tell what your flying...

but i have to say, its pretty damn frustrating.. i was just fighting a Freelancer in Delta - (and don't even start me about the way they fly, 15 different directions at once, im sure the laws of physics are being broken there somehow!!!!)

But seriously, this guy had no shields, and a barely damaged hull... he was trying to run, so flying in a straight line, not even trying to dodge... im hitting him with CD's, and then hitting him with full guns and missiles.. i hit him with... (brace for it) EIGHT cannonball missiles (i saw and heard the impacts) at the same time as hitting him with my Codes and nomad blasters... blazing away until my batteries ran dead, then hitting him with missles, and then guns again....

I'm sure lag has something to do with it? i mean it HAS to right? that was just idiotic...

heres the fun part... IT HAD NO EFFECT, the red line on his hull DID NOT MOVE and the bugger got away!!! i swear to god i yelled out loud and probably woke everyone at home up!

im all for a little tougher Npcs... but thats just ridiculous... Human Players aren't that tough!!!!