Discovery Gaming Community
RPing trader vs. Pirates - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Thread: RPing trader vs. Pirates (/showthread.php?tid=5394)

RPing trader vs. Pirates - booshk - 01-08-2008

I've been doing the infamous diamond/niobium exchange for a bit as a trader, and just wanted to talk a lil bit about my experiences... but first , a lil bit about trader mentality

1)the trade routes are boring
2)time is money
3)RP is fun, but the chase is funner, which brings me to my final point:
4)Fire your wasp/ cruise disruptor, whatever it is, then say halt

I'm not saying come in with all guns blazing, but unless you stop my cruise engines I'm thinking to myself, he didn't really mean halt, or, he must be talking to that asteroid over there.

One successful pirate managed to get good position on me in one sector, he had closed to 2k , and we were both cruising, I didn't even try to hot dock with the jump gate or anything, in the middle of the darn sector i killed cruise then powered down, I mean, c'mon the guy had me. He never even had to tell me to halt, I saw a red contact close with and take position on my rear, close enough to z, CD if he was good enough and I powered down, and heaved to.. He thanked me for how easy it all was... but by skill or by luck, he had the position and we both knew it

One unsuccessful pirate sent a system wide "halt booshkeeboy" - very impressive, had my name had my number apparently, and I did consider it- briefly, til I looked at my scanners, 11km..."oh Boy! this is going to be exciting I thought! And it sure was, with that darned pirate chasing me, both of us hot docking jumps and trade lanes with all of our skill, and me praying the rheinland militia was in force tonight, chased me all the way to The Ring he did, but I made in safely, and boy, how he howled with fury over the entire system's comm (nothing oorp death threats and the usual...normal trader/pirate relations) There had been no defenders in system, not even the less intelligent ones (read AI), but the AI started flowing out of the woodwork, which was a real shame, since I was coming right back out,,, came back out,,, sat around for a lil while, he was still dealing with AI defenders, so I picked up some diamond's and came back out... no pirate.

Sent private comm to pirate asking if he was a patient man, he answered yes... my RP answer was of course "I was afraid of that"......, but then I didn't see him on my scanners any more except once, and that was at 14k away, cut engines for a bit, didn't see the 14k go down any... moved on. (Normally i wouldn't cut engines to see if a pirate coming to me, the chase is the fun part), but my heart was still racing, so I figured it woulda been worth it, man that chase was great.... ( i was hoping he would charge double or triple for the aggravation I caused him) {and also I had that icy pit of fear, did I make him so mad that he will kill me?, surely I made him mad enough to punish me, but surely not kill me} it was great!

Finally, the most successful pirate was waiting just on the other side of a jump hole, I jumped into a blue nebula, with asteroids all around, and saw this cat just sitting there, eyeballing me, so, do I push shift+w ? NOPE! I press O...hmmm those weapons look dangerous I'm thinking to myself quietly as I hear a private comm come in... I'm thinking to myself Aw man this cat's good, he's not using system, so police (if any) won't come looking for him, and he won't warn off other potential prey. I'm also thinking hmm must have been monitoring my traffic flow through the systems to grab up my private comm that fast. The other thing I'm thinking is, I have no speed, no position, and there are asteroids that will hamper any attempt I make to flee, AND my nav system isn't even booted up yet? the only thing he could have done better from my view point was hit me with a cruise disruptor before he even said howdy ^^ Needless to say this guy didnt even have to warm up his engines, he gets my vote for most successful pirate so far, with my limited experience*Note: I am not saying best pirate, just successful, b/c I tell you what the pirate that chased me all the way to the ring had some seriously mad flight skills....

So, to all you pirates out there, if you see me in game, just send me a nice howdy with your cruise disruptors before we even begin the discussions, oh, and I never use auto chaff, or press c when being chased by pirates, well, not unless my life depends on it anyway:)

Oh and here's some pricing guidelines (guidelines not rules mind you) for transports on the infamous diamond/niobium run

They wont like you much but traders can usually afford the following

Cargo space Hello?How are you?*grinning That does it!*now I'm really mad
750 500k 1m (don't do consecutive, too much)
3000ish 1m-1.5m 2m+
5000ish 1m-2m cargo alone worth 1.5m usually....
*cost mind you, sells for almost 9m

In my huge transport of a whale, I have only a lil bitty bluebell turret, so I'm feeling a lil exposed and hiring help now when I can find some...I pay a bonus for successful pirate evasion, so, win or lose, someone is going to get paid:) Have fun!

See you around the systems I'm afraid to name f you don't already know em.... and happy hunting to all...

BooshkeeBoy out.

RPing trader vs. Pirates - MB52 - 01-08-2008

Just a note, he probably didn't PM you, but used local chat.

In system chat, type /L before you type your stuff and it shows up in green. Only those on your scanner can read it.

And I agree with alot of what you said =)

RPing trader vs. Pirates - MrCynical - 01-08-2008

The other difficulty us traders have is RPing the fact that when your ship is destroyed you are transported to the nearest friendly base with a new one with all the same equipment. Essentially I RP this as 'ship insurance' - covering your equipment but not your cargo - so if a pirate demands more from me than my cargo is worth I'd be more likely to just keep running.

RPing trader vs. Pirates - Spear - 01-08-2008

' Wrote:The other difficulty us traders have is RPing the fact that when your ship is destroyed you are transported to the nearest friendly base with a new one with all the same equipment. Essentially I RP this as 'ship insurance' - covering your equipment but not your cargo - so if a pirate demands more from me than my cargo is worth I'd be more likely to just keep running.

Pirates should not be making unreasonable demands on traders, that's just an excuse to have you refuse so they can kill you. I never tax more then 2 million and lower the amount for lesser levels. I dont ask a lvl 41 for 2 mill!

RPing trader vs. Pirates - Kaiden - 01-08-2008

Skylieus is a pretty good pirate. One time I was down on my luck and had lost a bit of money due to a Credit card issue (not debt haha) and was down to 2.2mil and a hold full of Diamonds. He asked for 3 mil and I pleaded that I only had 2.2, but I could give him 2mil so I could keep 200k collateral incase I crashed or one of the irritating terrorist guys came along and decided to fill me with holes.

RPing trader vs. Pirates - mwerte - 01-08-2008

' Wrote:Just a note, he probably didn't PM you, but used local chat.

In system chat, type /L before you type your stuff and it shows up in green. Only those on your scanner can read it.

And I agree with alot of what you said =)

actually as a pirate I hunt people. That doesn't mean I exclude the others but I usually have my target marked and set in the chat box, just waiting. I'll use local if a trader suprises me but that doesn't happen very often.

I'm not saying I was the pirate he mentioned, could be, but I don't think so.

The other thing I do is make the pirate "donate" to "my starving family" because the "price of living on Malta keeps going up" but most never RP back. :( Some do though.