Discovery Gaming Community
Serious question. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Site & Forum Feedback (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Serious question. (/showthread.php?tid=54840)

Serious question. - 'Ends' - 02-12-2011

Most of the folks here know the term 'Gravedigging'.An act of posting in a thread after nobody has posted in it for a long period of time so that the thread will end up in the first page of the forum.
What I want to ask is what counts as a 'long period of time'?A week?A month?The next day?The following year?
Thanks in advance.

Serious question. - AndrzejB - 02-12-2011

+ why is it discouraged? Is there any point in starting new topic while the problem (or similar one) was already discussed?

Serious question. - 'Ends' - 02-12-2011

' Wrote:+ why is it discouraged? Is there any point in starting new topic while the problem (or similar one) was already discussed?
If you don't want to provide the answer GTFO and Shut the freak up.A simple link to a thread already solves the question.
And just FYI,my search button is stuck.
Oh and you know what?I have the impression you didn't read my topic so get out.

Serious question. - tansytansey - 02-12-2011

There is no one answer to your question, Spambot. It is context sensitive. For example, if I were to bump an old Ship Model topic from a couple months ago, asking what's happening with the ship or providing more information on the progress of the ship, that would not be considered gravedigging. However if I bumped a thread from the same time period about some Kraken QQ for example, the topic is no longer relevant, and no one cares about your opinions on it. It's better left where it lies.

The nature of the thread, and the purpose of the bump determine where grave digging is appropriate. So I guess the real answer is, use your common sense. I know it's difficult for some people, but if you're uncertain, just don't.

' Wrote:+ why is it discouraged? Is there any point in starting new topic while the problem (or similar one) was already discussed?

Usually if a topic stops getting posts and falls down off the first few pages, the topic is no longer relevant, has already been answered thoroughly, or the debate is simple over. Good threads simply don't die, so if a thread has died, there is no reason to bring it back. You don't have to put your opinion in on a thread that is already dead, mostly because no one cares about it anyway.

Serious question. - Disco - 02-12-2011

I am pretty sure this thread will be grave-digged in the future.

Anyway, I would assume its after the discussion is over.

Serious question. - AndrzejB - 02-12-2011

' Wrote:Anyway, I would assume its after the discussion is over.
What ends the discussion? Consensus? Thread lock?;) No, serious question.

Serious question. - Irra - 02-26-2011

some bad words were used here, is it possible it was overlooked?

And to avoid +1,

Discussion ends when everyone stops discussing given subject you were discussing in thread that was discussed about.. uh. You get the point.