Discovery Gaming Community
gmg freighter - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Developers Forum (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+---- Forum: Discovery Unofficial Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=389)
+----- Forum: Discovery Mod Content Submissions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+----- Thread: gmg freighter (/showthread.php?tid=56093)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

gmg freighter - Jinx - 03-04-2011

some time ago - i presented 2 concept versions for a replace of a gmg freighter - the second one received quite some positive feedback - and i said, i d get back to it to refine the model.

[Image: gmgfreighter.png]
thats what came out of it - the entire model became rounder - and longer / more streamlined. - all in all, i tried to get a larger "Karasu" with a slightly more modern touch. it is not as armoured as the Karasu ( see, it has a glass canopy and no the little slits ) but it is sleek enough to slip through even dense rocks and gas pockets.

in contrast to the dromedary or other freighters - this one makes use of small gas tanks.

i will upload it to the server - but wether we can still replace the current freighter or not depends on how much time we have left.

those that may ask: this ship is twice as long as the Karasu ( gmg HF ) ... but quite slim.

edit: the current gmg freighter really is as ugly as it can get - does anyone actually use it?

gmg freighter - Lobster - 03-04-2011

I love it.

No words....

Just...

*melts*

I love it.

gmg freighter - Dusty Lens - 03-04-2011

I think that the implied agility of the vessel and the cargo pods really stand at odds with one another. While I can imagine it moving forward very quickly it seems that should it ever need to turn things are going to get crazy. Crazy like immense torque twisting cargo pods one way while the ship goes another with bits flying left and right and the screaming and the explosions and lives shattered forever and that scene where a window breaks open and the one guy is being sucked out into space and he's screaming at his wife I DONT WANT TO DIE OH GOD OH GOD DONT LET ME GOO SAHAFUEHUIFHSEUFIHESUI and then he's sucked out and they have a kid at home who grows up in a broken household and turns to drugs and violence.

I don't think any of us need that kind of guilt. Certainly not over a video game. Maybe if they were more centered?

Furthermore, the GMG freighter is going to be a gas collector if everything works out for 4.86, one of the GMG vessels that will be able to mine. It strikes me that your previous GMG freighter may very well be much more well suited for that task.

fair enough - wasn t up to date about the gmg developement. - this ship was only an offer in case the freighter wouldn t change, cause i made the promise to look into the gmg freighter.

in terms of model logic - the pods would have to be chained onto the ship like the trains cargo pods. - it would still not make much sense - but then.... there is only so much sense in terms of physics in a space combat arcade game.

edit: but the previous gas freighter looked pretty much the same - i only attached the gas tanks above the engine exhaust - and the entire concept model consisted of roughly 1/4 of the polygons and details.

unless you mean model #1 - which was a truck with 3 big spherical gas tanks - ( still not exactly a gas collector ) - maybe there is a model that i simply forgot about though.

anyway - we can leave it as that.... this model is better than the current one - no matter what. ( i think we agree there ) - i am also sure that AT can make a quick and also perfect hitbox for it.

due to the greatly different shape - it would need a balance adjustment ( after all - its has 3 guns and 3 forward turrets + 1 rearwards turret ) along with freighter shields. ( thats the current stats )

if we still decide to take it - it takes around 1 min to swap the files, if not cause we have other plans for the current freighter, - no worries at all - we could also use such a model as a satelite ( non playable model ) moored at some station for ambience.

gmg freighter - SeaFalcon - 03-04-2011

Its an insect queen carrying eggs...
I like eet for GMG.

If it needs to become a gas miner just attach some suck machine under it?

gmg freighter - Dusty Lens - 03-04-2011

I see what you're doing and it's a good idea. Freighter flies up, pods are exchanged, freighter flies off. Efficiently you could theoretically pull off the exchange in a matter of seconds. Likewise at border stations.

Freighter flies up, drops off fresh pod and picks up exhausted pod, is off in a matter of seconds.

It's a cool idea and I dig it. I'm simply of a mind that the way it looks on the vessel implies that the second those chained pods start to flex they're going to rip the ship apart.

As to replacing the current: Go for it. While I'd like to see your other freighter in there as well nixing the HW model is good.

However. Let's also include: [Image: gmgfreightermk2.png] As a general use gas mining freighter.

And: [Image: GMGfinal.png]

And: [Image: whale_mk3.png]

if i COULD make a flexible ( and physically semi-correct ) chain of pods - i d love to do it ( it would also fit the train ) - but i believe that this is well beyond the freelancer engine. - but i agree - implying that it must be flexible makes ( and keeps making ) you wonder why the chain of pods doesn t bend - so it ll always look strange in motion.

on the other hand - we got used to the train pulling a static chain of carriages.

edit: i d REALLY love to make flexible links in models - imagine what we could do then - like admin controlled semi-organic space creatures. - and nomad vessels could also gain some more organic features.

gmg freighter - Boss - 03-04-2011

Dusty's post made me lol.

I seriously adore this ship. And all the GMG ships linked too.

gmg freighter - Recovery - 03-04-2011

If you were to remove those pods at the back, it'd be the sexiest luxury yacht of all time.

the first version gmg freighter did not look FLish enough in my opinion - and especially not GMG-ish... the canopy is too large and probably fragile ( its almost entirely made of glass )

the second version freighter is a low quality / low poly model - which acted as a precurser of the newly revised one.

the whale - yes... it can replace the kujira - there s not much difference.

when its about quality though - really... the first 2 models are of such a low quality that they really only act as concepts.