Discovery Gaming Community
Barge Balancing - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Barge Balancing (/showthread.php?tid=56246)

Pages: 1 2 3

Barge Balancing - Pessimistic - 03-07-2011

Hello I am the Faction leader for the Independent Miners Guild On Discovery PTC and I managed to Bribe the Admin to grant me a barge. I like the overall concept just 4 noticeable problems with it with easy fixes

1. the ship itself is completely unbalanced: the Turn Rate and the Thrusters give credit to the size of the ship, but the Flip-ability AKA it's lack of Intertia Disturbs me the most. This ship is several Metric tons of weight and takes 5 minutes to charge it's cruise engines but can be flipped by a Camera ship?? Someone either failed math class or wanted to make this ship the most difficult ship in the game to pilot (Or both)

2. Docking points: honestly the Antenae at the the top is the docking point? yall never rly wanted this thing to fly EVER did you? the docking point should be directly infront of the cockpit like it is for ALL other ships

3. Jump Gates and Jump holes If you'd fix the docking points this might not be n issue but lets face it most big ships would prolly like more space in the Jumpgates and the Jumpholes

4. Cruise Charge: Sorry this may be double Jeopardy but cruise time either needs to be cut down and turning time do, or inertia needs to be researched on this ship..

Questions? Comments? inbox me or Come find me on PTC

Barge Balancing - Zukeenee - 03-07-2011

' Wrote:1. the ship itself is completely unbalanced: the Turn Rate and the Thrusters give credit to the size of the ship, but the Flip-ability AKA it's lack of Intertia Disturbs me the most. This ship is several Metric tons of weight and takes 5 minutes to charge it's cruise engines but can be flipped by a Camera ship?? Someone either failed math class or wanted to make this ship the most difficult ship in the game to pilot (Or both)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're trying to do something about that. The Barge shouldn't be flipped like that, we know. It's not easy to get it to sit still, though. Ramming and flipping has always been a problem with the bigger ships.
' Wrote:2. Docking points: honestly the Antenae at the the top is the docking point? yall never rly wanted this thing to fly EVER did you? the docking point should be directly infront of the cockpit like it is for ALL other ships
Actually, from what little I know and have gathered from hearing about these sorts of things, many ships do have the "docking point" towards the bottom of the nose. It's just not a problem in something like, say, a Train when it's only about 10 meters or less from the real center of the nose. On a Barge, of course, it's very noticeable.

And the rest of your points... I dunno.

Barge Balancing - AeternusDoleo - 03-07-2011

You're apparantly using the barge for purposes of cargo movement, given that you have an interest in reducing it's cruise charge time, and it's docking ability. The barge isn't meant for that. It's a storage facility, capable of storing 40K of (RP) cargo fairly secure.

Although with the new collision mod I could see it becoming an effective anti-fighter platform. Simply park one on a lane exit. Every snub that exits the lane: Splat.

Barge Balancing - Pessimistic - 03-07-2011

Well We used it as a Cargo storage but as of late the faction hasn't been very active so Last night I did something people said COULD NOT BE DONE

I took the barge from ODER Shipyard in New Berlin, and Hauled Engine Components to the Base that the Independent Miners Brotherhood (PTC IMG faction) Controls in the Magellan System, Freeport 4, the trip took a while but doing what people says cannot be done in that ship, makes it worth while But in all honesty I think that if you got all the barge pilots from the various disco servers together to discuss how to make it a tad bit better but still keep it completely horrible (Oxy moron I know but still) you would find that flipping and docking point are the main issues. I mean lets face it once in a while Every ship has to Dock, either because a Pirate is chasing them or because they need to take a Dump :P. Also the Docking point on the barge is it's tractor point to so that made mining ops Fairly interesting

I'd just like to see slight improvements to the ship. Every ship in discovery was made to be used, lets not punish the pilots for choosing that ship huh?

5 mins to cruise I can live with
Horribile turn rate and getting stuck in an asteroid field I can live with
Having to wedge it into trade lanes and jump gates I can live with

Having to use stuck while going through JH's because the Docking point fails to touch the JH on auto pilot I cannot live with
Having it Cruise disrupted by every other thing I cannot live with (Give it the same Cruise disruption rate of the trains maybe?)
It's docking point positioning.. I cannot live with

Thank you guys for the discussion I will keep peeking in to see what else there is up for debate

Barge Balancing - Camtheman Of Freelancer4Ever - 03-08-2011

Quote:You're apparantly using the barge for purposes of cargo movement, given that you have an interest in reducing it's cruise charge time, and it's docking ability. The barge isn't meant for that. It's a storage facility, capable of storing 40K of (RP) cargo fairly secure.

The people who created the barge knew damn well a battleship is a -much- better option.

Why it even exists im not sure, but it does indeed make a good trading ship if you know the right routes and the right... People.

Barge Balancing - Anonymous User - 03-08-2011

' Wrote:Although with the new collision mod I could see it becoming an effective anti-fighter platform. Simply park one on a lane exit. Every snub that exits the lane: Splat.

ERR

the guy is not playing on GC

the ramming feature is only aviable on GC:P

so that wont help him.

ye... the dockingpoint rlly should be at the nose.

it is annoying (even if you (try to) use the speeddock point) to be in the docking seq. for more than 5 minutes...

but well... on the other side.

its good the ship is "ineffective"

nobody wants to see lots of barges in space.

Barge Balancing - dodike - 03-08-2011

lrn2barg

Barge Balancing - Coin - 03-08-2011

you see that little transport underneath? thats where your ship is. the barge container is just a MASSIVE backpack. if you fly it as if that little transport is the tug pulling the container ship, then you're set.

Barge Balancing - Pessimistic - 03-19-2011

So I been flying her a round a lil bit more (You know some of us are self masochistic) and yeah the docking point is the thing that makes me want to murder kittens, is there anyway to get ahold of the Modeler? to make a friendly suggestion?

Barge Balancing - trekky - 03-25-2011

the dock point of the ship is bad
Pessimistic is right it should be on the nose

i think move the dock point to the nose
make Cruise disrupted Impossible
the reason being that thing is HUGE about 10x bigger then a 5000 hauler
+ if a pirate take 5 mins to kill you should get away

and maybe make the thing turn a little faster (not alot but alittle)