Discovery Gaming Community
SSDs would you buy them right now? - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+---- Forum: Software & Hardware (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+---- Thread: SSDs would you buy them right now? (/showthread.php?tid=56918)

Pages: 1 2 3

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Fletcher - 03-18-2011

With the slowly decreasing cost in Solid State Drives, I ask you this. Would you buy one for your computer?

Right now I don't want to, at least until they get a larger capacity to cost ratio. I love their high speed and reliability but something is bugging me. They have limited writing uses, is this a debilitating factor? Does it depend on each drive or is it system wide with the technology?

If I were to get one, I'd use it for my boot drive to seriously improve the load times of highly used programs too, and large game files. Like Hearts of Iron II... that takes me 10 minutes to copy for mods my end! A SSD would make my life easier there for coding and modding in my spare time.

So yeah I digress, are you thinking of getting and SSD's for your system?

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Dart - 03-18-2011

SSD for OS files, HD for everything else

IMHO this is the best solution right now

keep in mind the no filesystem is fully compatible with flash memory for SSDs, so you will need to reformat every now and then for a performance increase (or restoration)

but they are just damn expensive...

That's along the lines of what I'm thinking but the annoyance and stability issues of formatting/reformatting OS boot files can be troublesome. I've had to reformat lots of PC's due to my and others idiocy. Its not fun, especially on older OS's with all those updates required.

And yes, the cost right now is evil, but it'll come down in a year or two liks 'HD' TV's.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Turkish - 03-18-2011

In short, yes I would.

In longer format, yes I would. Currently I have an SSD as my boot drive much as you described, and I can attest to the performance increase. If you can stomach the initial cost it's relatively easy to augment storage with conventional platter based drives. As it stands you can purchase upwards of 2TB in a single drive for less than a hundred dollars.

Studies show that even in five years SSDs will still not have reached a comparable price point, for me that's too much of a wait for what I consider to be a worthwhile performance increase. Most of my high load applications include 3d and 2d editing software so it's safe to say I'm a fan, ultimately though it comes down to your budget and willingness to expend compared to your views on possible gain.

Wait something crossed my mind, if the SSD reached its write limit, is it useless? Or just in need of a format?

' Wrote:Wait something crossed my mind, if the SSD reached its write limit, is it useless? Or just in need of a format?
if you are using it for OS system files you wont have this problem

also consider that you never need to do defragmentation, since its random access

additionally SSD firmware doesn't write over the same bit all the time

it distributes the writes so the drive will die when there are absolutely 0 writes left

in short it should last you 8 years.

are you going to keep a drive for 8 years or longer?

SSDs would you buy them right now? - Camtheman - 03-18-2011

A super star destroyer?

I'd buy one.

I saw Solid State Drives on Ibuypower.com when I bought this computer but I didnt know what their use was except higher speed (I saw one with 100gb and 10,000 RPM)

What are they for?

' Wrote:A super star destroyer?

I'd buy one.

I saw Solid State Drives on Ibuypower.com when I bought this computer but I didnt know what their use was except higher speed (I saw one with 100gb and 10,000 RPM)

What are they for?
its basically a really fast flash memory card thats also really fast and really expensive

SSDs would you buy them right now? - J.Bates - 03-18-2011

Great for laptops if your on the move so you don't have to worry so much about getting damage to your HDD. Nice and speedy and doesn't drain much power from the batteries.

I'm considering about getting one for my desktop and using as Dart said as the operating system drive and the HDD for extra storage.

SSDs would you buy them right now? - 11of10 - 03-18-2011

Considering that the OS swap file (virtual memory) might be the biggest problem for your SSD's life span, you could just shove it into RAM, or disable it altogether, with sufficient amount of RAM memory, of course, which shouldn't be much of a problem these days.

Other than that, 8 years? Yes, I am currently using one old 60GB IDE Maxtor Hard drive to great joy of my mother, so, you never know, eh? Besides, I believe it would be rather unsettling to suddenly find all your files unaccessible one day.