Discovery Gaming Community
How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: How my youth was ruined by silly laws. (/showthread.php?tid=57023)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Pinko - 03-20-2011

So, most of you probably know that I like to talk about the place I live in this world, Québec, but there are things that I hate about it. When I was young, I wanted to go to an English speaking school to be perfectly able to converse in both French and English. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like this here in Québec, because of Bill 101. Bill 101 states that the only residents of Québec who may attend to English schools are children whose at least one parents have attended majoritarely English school when they were they were young. Unfortunately, since both my parents can't speak a word in English, it cut off all hopes for me to possibly study in English and be perfectly bilingual.

But then comes the age where you become an adult, and when you can go to college. Finally, you can make a choice for yourself. I've decided to stay in French schools while I study in College, because it is simpler for me this way. But, for a small minority of French speakers, and a large percentage of Allophones (People living in Canada whose mother tongue is neither French or English) who haven't mastered the French language fully, both prefer to learn English instead because it is indeed more useful in today's world. I do not see any problems in this, because, as an adult, you are free to make choices and decide who you want to be.

Unfortunately, not everyone sees it from this eye.

Recently a local political party, the Partie Québecois, now try to expand the Bill 101's reach to Colleges to further innovate the multitudes of laws we already have to ''protect'' our society from the English language. Which means less people will be able to learn the English language, and less people will be able to study in English, therefore, less people will be able to work in English. What does it mean? Should you need a doctor, and the only doctor available is a doctor from Québec who did his studies in a local French university, and has no idea of how to speak in English, you will be unable to communicate with him and therefore, he will be unable to assist you because he was forced to study in French in a world where, let's agree, knowing English, especially in North America, is quite important to communicate. I'm not saying that every doctors should study in English, but I'm saying that, as adults, we should be able to decide of our fates.

While these measures are very natural for us in Québec, people outside Québec can consider them downright racist, and I can understand such point of views. What I am curious about is, do you agree about Governments controlling what languages you should be able to speak, to the limits where they block any attempts for you to learn a new language?

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Alex. - 03-20-2011

No, they shouldn't be able to block attempts to learn a new language in my opinion.

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Ivan - 03-20-2011

This needs compromise. Preserve culture, but improve freedoms.

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Mickk - 03-20-2011

No.

What they are doing is *so* wrong.

That 'bill 101' should be shredded, then shredded again, then thrown into a blast furnace, along with whoever thought it up.

Restricting people's right to LEARN anything is wrong.

I mean, even the 'worst' countries in the world don't restrict what languages you are allowed to learn or not that I have heard of anyway.

When I was in high school, we were actually encouraged to learn another language, so I know a tiny bit of German.

I've forgotten most of it though, that was a fair while back.

Edit: re-read your post.... People consider it racist? More like stupid than racist.

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Chico - 03-20-2011

My word....a pro french party trying to ban the study of english....I can't help but feel that history repeats itself, even off out in Canada.

What is the reason they are giving for it?
To preserve the culture or language?
Or is it just to stop people speaking english?

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Crackpunch - 03-20-2011

So sad. I'm not talking about bill 101.

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Jansen - 03-20-2011

Its not April 1st yet, or?

That is one of those ideas that fail to even remotely make any sense. :mellow:

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - kingvaillant - 03-20-2011

As many said, I'm, as a voter is Quebec in Canada, fully opposed to such extension of the law.

For the simple reason that learning English in a bilingual country should be mandatory until the end of HS years (current situation). Preventing people from learning English in Quebec will make the division between Quebec and English Canada greater that it is right now. English Canada has made a lot of efforts in the last years to improve its teaching of the French tongue. Voting this extension would make English Canada remove those classes as well in the long run. A huge step back, not forward.

I also find this to be one of the greatest insult you can do against the chart of rights and liberties that we have.

Learning a second language does not pose a risk to a culture... or should I say, what culture? (as a Quebecer)

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Jeremy Hunter - 03-20-2011

One English compound word says what I think of this Bill 101.

Bullcrap.

How my youth was ruined by silly laws. - Bad Guy - 03-20-2011

Well, it's not racist. It's not about race at all. It could be another 'ist I suppose, however, it certainly isn't racism. I fear many countries and people are under extreme pressure with rampant immigration and other problems. They fear for their culture and language and therefore try to institute rather totalitarian bills like this one. Of course the flip side of this is to give people total freedom, then you can sit back and watch your culture and language go the way of Rome.

I also certainly don't see how this could have ruined your youth. There are many other ways to learn a language if you really, really want to. You can go to a private college that offers it, outside of school hours, go see private teachers of English and even try to see if your school might not offer it as an extra subject. Many, many people around the world do not learn English at school and have to learn it either via private tutoring or at university. You were not and are still not alone.

Once again I believe that if it is in people's best interest to learn English, they will find a way no matter what. And if the Quebec government, which I imagine is still to follow the laws of the rest of Canada, were to completely forbid the learning of English, then I believe you would have some cause for concern. Right now people in the same boat as you still have options.

If you really feel that the bill extending to University level could lead to destroying people's liberties then why not organise a march of some sort. Get together with some friends, do some blogging, some twittering, face-booking and so on; and get a group of people together to challenge it. Why not go to one of this parties meetings and discuss it. It surely has open forums every now and then?

Be more active in your local and country's politics, get to know what is happening in your area. It will open your eyes to a world unknown but will also give you many new choices and will allow you to learn and bring about change. All you can do is try.