Discovery Gaming Community
Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery Development (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Forum: Discovery Mod General Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+---- Forum: Discovery Mod Balance (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=31)
+---- Thread: Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running (/showthread.php?tid=57090)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Hone - 03-21-2011

It seems to me that smuggling, despite being more dangerous - pirates AND lawfuls preying on you,
Slower - often have to avoid lanes/go to criminal systems where there are no lanes.
AND forcing you to break the law, meaning you can be outlawed if you are caught and have your landing rights revoked;
Still pays barely or not at all more than normal trading, indeed MUCH less than ore running!
This seems all wrong (most) people dont break the law for fun (aside from saturday night) they break it to make money.

So... could smuggling routes be made more profitable to compensate for the increased risks?

An increase in smugglers would also breath much needed life into police factions.

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2011

... come to O7 when I'm on. I'll mine some copper ore for ya (should be quick, noone else bothers with copper for obvious reasons). Smuggle that to Liberty at your hearts content for a good old profit...

A good point which i meant to raise, the highest sell points for ore should be in the houses at war with the mining house; e.g. Gold ore should sell highest in kusari, and uncut diamonds should sell highest in liberty.
Simple laws of supply and demand, its harder for them to get - as theres an embargo - so they should pay more for it.

Not sure about the copper though, as I could just go through bretonia and it wouldnt be smuggling.

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2011

It sellpoint is in the Texas system. Sure, you could go through Bretonia - but that route is double as long. And takes you past California, and New York.

ok so thats 1 thats got it right then

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Stuart.croll - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:It seems to me that smuggling, despite being more dangerous - pirates AND lawfuls preying on you,
Slower - often have to avoid lanes/go to criminal systems where there are no lanes.
AND forcing you to break the law, meaning you can be outlawed if you are caught and have your landing rights revoked;
Still pays barely or not at all more than normal trading, indeed MUCH less than ore running!
This seems all wrong (most) people dont break the law for fun (aside from saturday night) they break it to make money.

So... could smuggling routes be made more profitable to compensate for the increased risks?

An increase in smugglers would also breath much needed life into police factions.
Definitely agree here. Spent most of the day yesterday running contraband with it's inherent risks and almost got caught by the fuzz in Colorado. i most definitely could have made more spending the same amount of time doing legitimate trade. Needs a greater risk reward balance.:(

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Mao - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:So... could smuggling routes be made more profitable to compensate for the increased risks?
YES, PLEASE!

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Klaw117 - 03-21-2011

Smuggling isn't just about making money, it's also about the thrill. It's kind of fun to be caught and outran the authorities. However, I don't think some more profitable routes could hurt.

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Captain - 03-21-2011

Slave > Cardi run, it was very profitable to do (or still is)

and lots of slavers/smuglers popped up, so now is(was) mining the hotshot

so now miners are the most seen. whats next PFI getting a boost in trade and everyone gets into PFI,

people tend to be like sheep,

Trading Vs Smuggling/Blokade running - Patrician - 03-21-2011

It ISNT fun when you know you can be FR 5'd for following your roleplay. I have stopped running contraband in the Houses simply because its not worth it. Outrunning the Navy and cops is one thing. Having them fill out paperwork that removes a quarter of my landing spots is quite another.