Discovery Gaming Community
Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: News and Announcements (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Admin Notice: Server testing #6 (/showthread.php?tid=57095)

Pages: 1 2 3

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Cannon - 03-21-2011

After a disasterous start I finally got flhook update 6 running on the server. It turns out my programming is even worse than my college grades suggest.

This update has the following changes:
- Autoban on repeated cheat detection (like we used to have about 2 years ago)
- Some other cheat detection stuff
- A fix for missions breaking the server
- Shields are dropped when somebody F1s/disconnects. The system should also stop their ship but this didn't work.
- Hook controlled AI bot test code

To do next:
- Find out why ships sometimes drift so much. The should drift based on the amount of time they have been disconnected. The expected rate is 1 meter per second of disconnect time up with a maximum of 50k in the y-axis and 1/10th of that in the x and z axis.
- Find all instances of the problem that caused the "disasterous start" and fix them.
- Try to stop a ship in space if the player disconnects/F1s.
- Try to stop the crash when I unload the player control plugin while the server is running (i.e. the last dropped spanner incident).

Some people have asked why am I testing this stuff on the server. There are multiple reasons:
- I'm doing this before 4.86 comes out so that I can be reasonably sure the FLHook part of 4.86 is stable.
- Real players using the software are much better testers than me.
- There are some good features I can add to the server before 4.86 comes out. Stay tuned for these.

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - mwerte - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:- Hook controlled AI bot test code

To do next:
- Find out why ships sometimes drift so much. The should drift based on the amount of time they have been disconnected. The expected rate is 1 meter per second of disconnect time up with a maximum of 50k in the y-axis and 1/10th of that in the x and z axis.
AI bot test code? Mind expanding on that or is it anti-cheat stuff?

Thanks for the anti-F1 measures.

I -think- that the drift is caused by someone F1ing while moving. The server goes "guy was moving, but not getting an update from the client, so let's extrapolate". Don't know why it speeds up/goes in random directions though.

And I agree with doing tests on the server. We are much better at breaking things then you are.

Thanks for the new tweaks!

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Panzer - 03-21-2011

Can we has NPC spawn ban again?

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Veygaar - 03-21-2011

Cannon is amazing:Dprops for all of this

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Anonymous User - 03-21-2011

AI-code-test-whut?

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - hribek - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:To do next:
Perhaps because the physics prediction engine assumes constant acceleration, not constant velocity. Meaning the best time to F1 and be invulnerable is right after you apply thrust - be it thruster, cruise engine, or strafing. If you time it right, the ship drifts away very quickly.

' Wrote:AI-code-test-whut?
Come back when you're sober.

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Stuart.croll - 03-21-2011

I've always thought the F1 drift was a time related thing

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Anonymous User - 03-21-2011

' Wrote:.
Come back when you're sober.

I am... I'm always.

just dun get what this thing is...

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - AeternusDoleo - 03-21-2011

Quote:- Find out why ships sometimes drift so much. The should drift based on the amount of time they have been disconnected. The expected rate is 1 meter per second of disconnect time up with a maximum of 50k in the y-axis and 1/10th of that in the x and z axis.
Simple. No player object left to test collisions once you move out of a certain range. Few NPCs or miscellaneous objects bump you to get you to an idiotic speed, clientside inertia governing is gone, so you simply move at whatever speed those NPCs give you. And since NPCs are immune to inertia and collisions with players... it's like being hit by a baseball bat. Repeatedly. Homerun swing to the edge of the system.

Not sure if it's possible, but the same state craft are on when in their final docking approach with bases (invulnerable, no shields, impossible to change course due to collisions or by commands) might be appropriate for players who F1'd. Minus the invulnerable of course. Then after setting that, set the speed to 0, and you should end up with a ship that is locked down in mid-space.

Admin Notice: Server testing #6 - Vladimir - 03-21-2011

It would be great if we had the drifting exeption for barges in guard systems, because logging it in and moving some 40k back to base is really evil, and docking with that thing is evil too.