Discovery Gaming Community
Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: The Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Real Life Discussion (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Happy Yuri Gagarin day! (/showthread.php?tid=58331)

Pages: 1 2 3

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - 11of10 - 04-12-2011

Well, to all you space nuts around here (and I'm sure there's a lot of ya) today is the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight!

So, meet the man who pulled it off :

Yuri Gagarin

Also, learn something about the craft itself:

Vostok 1

And the entire program:

Vostok Programme

Good luck to us all, and let space exploration replace war as the means of expending humanity's excess energy!

Поехали!

Thanks to r3vange:

' Wrote:I would like to mention another person which was always left in the shadows due to the secrecy of his work

[Image: Sergey_Korolyov_140-190_for_collage.jpg]
His name is Sergei Korolev, until recently he was known only as the Chief-Designer. He is the man who created the R-7 rocket which launched Sputnik-1 and Gagarin in space. That rocket i still in use more than 50 years since it's first launch. One of the safest launch system on ever designed

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - .:Polarkreis:. - 04-12-2011

[Image: gagarin_picture.jpg]

/signed

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - lw'nafh - 04-12-2011

"I see no God up here."

Or.

"I see no sky up here."

Take your pick!

*salute*

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - Jansen - 04-12-2011

This is cool, but you will need some time for it :P

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - r3vange - 04-12-2011

Ah, you posted while I was typing my post...

As far as I am concerned if Earth is to have a face that would be the face of Yuri .Hard to believe we've been in space for just 50 years.

@Kanga He said I see no sky up there. Not "I see no God" It's a common misconception

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - lw'nafh - 04-12-2011

' Wrote:Ah, you posted while I was typing my post...

As far as I am concerned if Earth is to have a face that would be the face of Yuri .Hard to believe we've been in space for just 50 years.

@Kagnator He said I see no sky up there. Not "I see no God" It's a common misconception
I put both in. (sun)

I would like to mention another person which was always left in the shadows due to the secrecy of his work

[Image: Sergey_Korolyov_140-190_for_collage.jpg]

His name is Sergei Korolev, until recently he was known only as the Chief-Designer. He is the man who created the R-7 rocket which launched Sputnik-1 and Gagarin in space. That rocket is still in use more than 50 years since its first launch. One of the safest launch system on ever designed

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - 11of10 - 04-12-2011

Thanks for adding him r3vange, I meant to but somehow slipped my mind in the first post. Can I quote your post in OP?

' Wrote:Thanks for adding him r3vange, I meant to but somehow slipped my mind in the first post. Can I quote your post in OP?

Sure

Happy Yuri Gagarin day! - Jihadjoe - 04-14-2011

Yuri Gagarin Wrote:I can see clouds over the land. Small, cumulus, and the shadows of them. Beautiful! Beautiful!

The impact this would have on an individual can't be measured. Seeing the earth from so far above, that all our worldly activity, wars, freindships, trade, all our human endeavor, just becomes insignificant and invisable, and all that's left are the shadows of clouds on a borderless land.

That's a view I want to see.