Discovery Gaming Community
1 Faction per ID rule - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Rules & Requests (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+---- Forum: Faction Rules (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+---- Thread: 1 Faction per ID rule (/showthread.php?tid=58791)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

1 Faction per ID rule - Kontrazec (Somni) - 06-15-2011

' Wrote:No, they don't have to be indy. This rule doesn't forbid unofficial factions being formed. Official status isn't always needed to run a successful faction. In the above mentioned case for example.

[color=#FFFFFF]Yes, but that means that there can not exist a Gaian faction that can freely give out the use of Gaian technology to THEIR allies. The NLH controls the tech permissions and basically everything about Gaians, while we're trying to differentiate ourselves from the "NPC" Gaians. That clear it up for you?

1 Faction per ID rule - Gaz83 - 07-25-2011

Get rid of it, it creates more problems than it solves.

1 Faction per ID rule - Ingenious - 07-25-2011

' Wrote:Get rid of it, it creates more problems than it solves.

I agree: an admin pm'd me about why he personally supported one faction per ID, basically stating that multiples create problems. Well guess what, leave the door open and reject them individually, it's not that hard to type the following and lock:

Code:
[color=#33CC00]No[/color]
What it looks like:
Quote:No

There, I did it for you, you can copy and paste it on officialty requests.

1 Faction per ID rule - blubba - 07-25-2011

Multiple factions per ID.

But.....must all stay within vanilla.
No ID, no tech so no permissions required and all current agreements are void.
All problems solved.

1 Faction per ID rule - Daedric - 07-26-2011

' Wrote:Multiple factions per ID.

But.....must all stay within vanilla.
No ID, no tech so no permissions required and all current agreements are void.
All problems solved.

And more will arise to replace the ones you claim your solution resolves.

@ Ingenious/Gaz

The issue isn't with having multiple factions per ID itself. Its with having to deal with the factions after they are official. By that I mean, all official factions have Faction Rights; regardless of if they are the only one on the ID or not.

What that means is, sometimes those factions might not see eye to eye and faction right usage becomes complicated. I could point out a certain instance where a ship shot a certain player faction while being on good terms with the other two player factions who share an ID with the first. FR5 was used by the faction that was assaulted and then reversed because it conflicted with the RP of the other two factions.

Also consider that every official faction could purchase a guard system. I'm not a fan of guard systems to begin with, having all of the official factions own one would be dumb in my eyes. I mean, I think most of the ones we have know should be removed, but that is a topic for another discussion.

This rule was put it place to make administrating a server based around player factions more manageable.

Personally? I think this rule is stupid. I want it removed too, but I understand why it is there. My opinion? If the factions of the same ID can't get along well enough to use their Faction Rights properly, take their rights away. They can be official factions without certain rights (or any for that matter).

1 Faction per ID rule - Ingenious - 07-26-2011

The claim that this makes it easier to manage for the admins is just bunk. Is it really that hard to say "No" to the strange unofficial men? Look, I don't even care if you reverse the policy and deny 99% of requests, this isn't about me. If the admins think the risks aren't worth the benefits, they can always say no on a case-by-case basis. It's better to permit a few good ones to come in while denying the rest, don't just shut them all out.

Once again, here is the EZ-denial form:

Code:
[color=#33CC00]No[/color]
What it looks like:
Quote:No

1 Faction per ID rule - Daedric - 07-26-2011

It isn't about approving or denying factions. That process has always taken a lifetime for most factions.

It is about the issues that are caused by having more than one faction on an ID. Ala, Faction Rights. I'm sure there is more to it, but that is the point that kept being driven home when I spoke to an admin about it.

1 Faction per ID rule - Ingenious - 07-26-2011

' Wrote:It isn't about approving or denying factions. That process has always taken a lifetime for most factions.

It is about the issues that are caused by having more than one faction on an ID. Ala, Faction Rights. I'm sure there is more to it, but that is the point that kept being driven home when I spoke to an admin about it.

So, hey, once again we kluge a fix to the symptom instead of the underlying problem.

If multiple factions exist on an ID there's grounds to assert that no one group could pull an fr5 across the board anyway. Multiple official Navy factions? GTFO. Multiple Zoner factions that can't FR5? Ok.

1 Faction per ID rule - Lohingren - 07-27-2011

I think it should be gotten rid of in all fairness, My reasons are as follows

1) It makes running an official faction like a second job, Discovery is already to much like a 2nd life to make it even more so.

2) It pretty much promotes elitism on this server - Personally not something i would like to promote

3) Since all the good factions out there have already been taken, pretty much only Corporations are around nowadays. It leaves no room for anyone to even have a shot.

4) Factions can and will work together. Sure there may be a few hic ups over the days that they share power. But in the end, They will sort things out. As a leader of a faction that was once in these situations running the outcasts alongside the BLS, SOB and the 101st. You can imagine that all 4 factions did not see eye to eye at times, but we always sorted out our differances.

Just my 2 cents

1 Faction per ID rule - Ingenious - 08-16-2011

One down, a few more to go.

bump