Discovery Gaming Community
Event idea - Printable Version

+- Discovery Gaming Community (https://discoverygc.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discovery General (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Discovery RP 24/7 General Discussions (https://discoverygc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Event idea (/showthread.php?tid=5888)

Pages: 1 2

Event idea - Tichy - 01-30-2008

Hi there,

i think the idea isn't really new but i will tell it anyway:)...

So there was a lot of RP Events like i've read here. What i miss is an Event where only traders are involved. Let me outline my idea:

It's all about a Trade Race around Sirius. Participating people can only be Players with a Trader ID (or any other ID that states, that u are also a Trader like the Zoner ID). So there are some things that should be cleared:

Ship Type

First of all, the ships used should be the same. In the two months i played on this server i saw a lot of Advanced Train's. So i think that would be the right ship to use because most trader's buy it sooner or later. Also it needs a little experience and skills to fly such a big ship through asteroid fields for example, which makes the hole competition more interresting.

Race/Trade Route

The Route which will be flyed by the contrahents should be a route which brings you clockwise (or counter clockwise) around the systems of Sirius (that doesn't mean it has to be a "perfect" cycle it depends on the goods we will trade)

The idea is, that this isn't just a race through Sirius. It should be an event where traders show their skills in dooing both, taking goods from A to B and beeing fast in delivering it at the same time.

The Route should include up to 3 or 4 goods which got to be bought and sold by the players at pre-defined bases.

Price

Now, what could be the price for the winner?

Like all points, this one can be discussed also but i think the best way would be that every player who participates in this race pays an amount of 30 million credits to a neutral person (who has to be choosen first of course). The Winner of the race becomes 80% of the hole collected money, the 2nd 20% and the 3rth 10%.

Rules

Now what could be the rules?

- The goods you got to trade are defined but the route u take to the destinination don't has to be. Only rule here is, that the goods must be traded in a defined order.

- Some neutral persons should stay at the bases where the trader buy their goods and on such where the sell it to check if every player really buys and sell the goods. Also there should be a Person who has the overview over the race and who has the function of a referee. (All Players should form a group so the referee can see where all ppl are at the moment. )

- For the time of the race every Pirate should stay away from the participating players. Also it shouldn't be allowed, that players hire merc's for shooting up other competitors. Everything else, like Problems with NPC's, Lane disruption or waiting at the Jump Gates is personal harm and part of the game. (Only exception here is the red lag...we should think about how this problem could be solved. If server crashes or several players are kicked due to red lag then the referee should give the order to all players to stop immediatly till everyone has group up again and the race can go on)

- At the beginning their should be a little qualifying. The players should fly a route from one system to another and back and in order to the time every player needed they start the race at certain places(like in a normal fromula 1 race for example)

So thats all for now. Pls think about it and tell me what you think and if such an event could be done here.

Greets Tichy

Event idea - tfmachad - 01-30-2008

I think this event is a great idea. But I don't see why the all equal transports. We should strive to promote variety, not boring standardization of ships. I fly a container transport and would like to participate should this event be promoted, you saying that I'm not allowed to because from my calculations I'd have to make 200 more trade routes just to repay the investment in switching ships? Seriously, all transports fly the same speed. What you can do is divide them by category, like "heavy weight" for transports and "light weight" for freighters.

Anyway, I think this comes along great with the recent discussion about letting people know of new routes. This event could pretty much be one of the initiatives do to so. Make it not only a round trade route, but in each House the trader would have to do one of the inner trade routes as a checkpoint before he could go on to the next.

Anyway, it's a nice idea for an event.

EDIT: Maybe the guys from RepEx or IND can help you with that. They are some of the master traders in the server.

Quote: But I don't see why the all equal transports. We should strive to promote variety, not boring standardization of ships.

Thanks for your Reply. I agree, that there should be some variety and i know that every ship flys at same speed. The reason why i wanted all player to take one ship type is because the flying speed may be the same but smaller ships are much more versatile. A whale for example can turn around much quicker and so he can dock faster to a trade line in some cases (for example if u fly to a trade line from a different angel).

The difficulty also should be nearly teh same for all competitors. In an asteroid field for example its much more easyer if u fly a smaller ship. Thats why i thought about using the same ship. But ok, as u said, maybe we can let transports and trains in general participate and all freighters would have an own category.

Quote:Make it not only a round trade route, but in each House the trader would have to do one of the inner trade routes as a checkpoint before he could go on to the next.

That's one of the points we need to discuss. I think it's ok to have several stops which at trhe same time have the function of checkpoints. But their shouldn't be too much of them, though. At Least the profit you make with each of the traded goods should be as high as if you would fly a trade route on your own.

Greets Tichy

Event idea - tfmachad - 01-30-2008

' Wrote:...
That's one of the points we need to discuss. I think it's ok to have several stops which at trhe same time have the function of checkpoints. But their shouldn't be too much of them, though. At Least the profit you make with each of the traded goods should be as high as if you would fly a trade route on your own.

Greets Tichy
Maybe not complicating much and just punching the message that trading can also mean having fun, exploring, meeting people and seeing different sights as opposed to the more efficient way of getting them battleships is enough. If that's even what you had in mind in the first place. Plan just a nice round route with checkpoints and you'll be fine. Having the participating traders contribute with a percentage of their earnings in that route to make the prize is a good idea.

Quote:that trading can also mean having fun, exploring, meeting people and seeing different sights as opposed to the more efficient way of getting them battleships is enough. If that's even what you had in mind in the first place.

Yes in some way:)...I think trading can be fun and beside the people you meet there are also some nice landscapes (or should i say space-scapes:D) around Sirius. With this event the traders of sirius could come together for a while and have some fun.

I think i'll wait till some traders here posted their interest to take part in this race. Then we can talk about the main route and their checkpoints. Due to the fact that i would participate in the race myself i would like to choose the route and the goods to be traded in a democratic way.

But anyway, here is an example how it could be done: (The goods will not be told at this point ;D)

A) START at good old New York - Manhatten ---> Destination : Munich - Orbital Colony (1st Checkpoint)
B) (2nd Checkpoint) Munich - Nuremberg ---> Destination : Omega 49 - Lanzarote (3rd Checkpoint)
C) (4th Checkpoint) O49 - Gran Canaria ---> Destination : New Tokio - Pl. New Tokio (5th Checkpoint)
D) (6th Checkpoint) New Tokio - Outpost Narita ---> Destination : Dresden - Leipzig (7th Checkpoint)
E) (8th Checkpoint) New Berlin - Bonn --> Destination : Colorado - Rio Grande (9th Checkpoint)
F) Final Run from Rio Grande to Manhatten (last Checkpoint)

So if u have a max cargo of 5000 the profit would be around 39 mio credits.

The Station here are not nessecarily those ones where u would make the most profit with the goods (although it is mostly near to max profit) but it would take u on a nice route clockwise around Sirius. Of course that is just a first suggestion of a route. So everyone is invited to "pimp" it a little or to give other proposals.

Greets Tichy

Event idea - Juan_Arquero - 01-31-2008

Tichy: I like your idea, but it has a few problems.

' Wrote:Price

Now, what could be the price for the winner?

Like all points, this one can be discussed also but i think the best way would be that every player who participates in this race pays an amount of 30 million credits to a neutral person (who has to be choosen first of course). The Winner of the race becomes 80% of the hole collected money, the 2nd 20% and the 3rth 10%.
Your worst typos are in the section quoted above:
  1. "Price" should be "Prize" in both locations;
  2. "3rth" prize should be "3rd" prize (or better spelled "third");
  3. 80% + 20% + 10% = 110% (I guess you're planning to donate the extra 10%, since you're giving away more prize money than you're collecting; If you're feeling that generous again in the future, I can think of many ways to spend your money).
Quote:- For the time of the race every Pirate should stay away from the participating players. Also it shouldn't be allowed, that players hire merc's for shooting up other competitors. Everything else, like Problems with NPC's, Lane disruption or waiting at the Jump Gates is personal harm and part of the game. (Only exception here is the red lag...we should think about how this problem could be solved. If server crashes or several players are kicked due to red lag then the referee should give the order to all players to stop immediatly till everyone has group up again and the race can go on)
I seriously doubt that pirate players will stay away from this event. You're basically chumming the water (i.e. filling the water with blood) in front of a group of sharks. I can already see the feeding frenzy.:crazy:

Event idea - LancerZero - 01-31-2008

Oh man, Linus would LOVE to bring his Mammoth to this race! Sounds like fun, Tichy, and I gotta agree with Gronath (hate the Trains for various reasons - not because I can't fly them, but because they're so ubiquitous and they have that glitch that makes them disappear sometimes) that there ought to be a variety of ships allowed. And making a category for freighters would be even more fun! Camara for the win! XD

Anyhow, this idea in its general form has my support. It does need some work, but has great promise.:)

Event idea - mwerte - 01-31-2008

The question would be to pirate or trade then...and I think a lot of people would rather pirate. But you can't just stop all pirating on the server for 4ish hours...

Announcing the route is good, that allows people to "walk the course" as it were.

If its just traders RepEx-Shipping|868 will womp you all.

Event idea - tfmachad - 01-31-2008

' Wrote:[*]80% + 20% + 10% = 110% (I guess you're planning to donate the extra 10%, since you're giving away more prize money than you're collecting; If you're feeling that generous again in the future, I can think of many ways to spend your money).
[/list]
Who'd have thought Juan is a math nazy too!:crazy:

' Wrote:I seriously doubt that pirate players will stay away from this event. You're basically chumming the water (i.e. filling the water with blood) in front of a group of sharks. I can already see the feeding frenzy.:crazy:
All the more fun. Obstacle race. I don't know how it could be made, but maybe ponder not only the position, but the profit made, if pirates are involved. You'd have to get rid of them, but also manage to fast type a good, "My kids are starving" story in order to give away the less possible.:tease:

Event idea - Juan_Arquero - 01-31-2008

' Wrote:Who'd have thought Juan is a math nazy too!:crazy:
Nazis need math to make the trains run on time (I recently admitted to also being a train Nazi in another thread).:rtfm:(showing train schedule)

Quote:All the more fun. Obstacle race. I don't know how it could be made, but maybe ponder not only the position, but the profit made, if pirates are involved. You'd have to get rid of them, but also manage to fast type a good, "My kids are starving" story in order to give away the less possible.:tease:
Unless a trader's rank goes down from paying off pirate players, nobody will know about it. Even before and after screen shots could be faked with software or money transfers.